V Brake Help

SomeoneNew

Rigth I recently broke my front maggie lever body and after working out how much it will cost me to replace and fix I think I'm going to get a front vee as it will help me in the long run (possible upgrade to a bb7 when i sort my wheels etc out).

So I've used the search and come to the conclusion that I already have some deore cantilevers lying around and I'm going to get an Avid SD7 brake lever (if I can find a single lever, any ideas where?)

but

I'm not sure what cables etc to get, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

If you're running on a tight budget, any old cable will do. Keeping it well oiled and clean, making sure its routed in smooth curves and is the right length etc will serve you much better tan spending lots on a expensive cable. That said, odessy linear slicks are very good cable and not too expensive neither.

I'd go for the the Odyssey Linear Slic Kable. They are really really good for the money, compared to some of the more expensive cables. You can get them here for £6 with free postage (damn good service too (Y)).

I dont think you can get the SD7 levers seperately, I was trying to find one the other day actually but with no luck. Maybe ask in the For sale and wanted section? I think Bigman had one for sale a few weeks ago?

Bruce.

The slick cables are indeed good, and if you were careful you might be able to get enough out of the outer for the front Vee with enough left over for a BB7 in the future.

Also if you buy the Avid SD7 levers then it'll be easy enough to sell on the spare as there flipable, meaning you can just sell it as a front despite using the front on your bike.

V's with heatsink reds ***.

Cable wise I've got some XT stuff from CRC on and they're doing the job perfectly fine.

Something that makes a difference: make sure you have the right noodle - some V's have different front and rear noodles, which can make a big difference to the feel of the brake and how much spring tension you have to run.

Grease the hell outta the cables when putting them in as well, and spend a bit of time aligning the pads properly. In a few months you'll be flogging your rear maggie as well ;)

Lack of time has meant that Heatsink Red Vees won't be available for a little while - need to find time to assemble more.

However, an alternative is to just buy Heatsink Vee backings which are ready to go. I'll put these back up on my site if I haven't already >_< Many riders like assembling their own Vees using their favourite Magura pads.

Steve

Right sorted everything out except the pad issues! As I'm running on a bit of a budget I was contemplating getting

these http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2005 and using the pads off my maggie.

But do they work well?

Have been running these for a while now. Good (and cheap) investment in my opinion. The only problem I had was that they run a bit closer to the rim so set up was more critical when using new pads. I cant speak for all fork/rim combinations though. Now that the pads have worn a little they are mint. Running SD7.

avid or shimano noodles are both decent (though I run a section of nokon instead of a noodle, much smoother), go for the slackest curve your setup will handle (90 if poss)

Aaah kool, Right I'm sorry but i don't quite understand what you mean by slackest? I would've thought 135 would be slacker than 90?

I normally stick the pin in the middle hole on any vee (unless there really too much or too little tension there) theres usually enough adjustment on the brake to get the correct spring tension from the middle hole.

how much tension you want is a personal thing, I have my rear vee with as little tension as possible, it makes the brake smoother and easier to pull.

What I normally do is wind off the tension untill the lever starts to have slack, I then wind the tension back up untilthe slack is only just taken up, that gives you the least spring tension possible.