V-brakes

liam_thornton

Hey mate, i ride with a rear v-brakes and i use a Avid single Digit 5 brake because its cheap and its good, i use a Avid lever,cant remmeber which one, i also use the Vdaptors you get from Tarty(the onza ones) but i ride with a grinded rim, and run heatsink snowy pads or Blue Rockpads, but with a smooth rim, you can get ZOO! HS33 Pads[post=http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10014]Link to the pads but you can only use those pads with the Vdaptor [post=http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2005]Link to Vdaptors! if you need a good wire go for an avid wire set or odessy liner cable!!!

Hope that helps

Johny

Edited by JohnyTrials

This is what i would recomend:

Budget:

Shimano Dewhore arms: £10

Avid SD7 levers: £18

Heatsink pads: £15 - £24

Odyssey linear slick cabe: £6

£54 roughly

Any Money:

Avid utimate arms: £55

Avid SD7 levers: £18 (prefer these to ultimates due to better lever shape)

£90ish

Either of those setups will work VERY well, i used to run a dewhore on the rear and it was awsome, but now i have gone to an ultimate and it is just soooo good!

Adam

listen to biggy, he knows his stuff ;)

cept for ultimate levers really are THE best lever, no question ive never had troubles with mine (comfy, smooth, strong)

i run an ultimate lever, ultimate callipers, heatsink backings with coust material and a linear slick cable, its a bit good :) no booster, cos its not necessary on my zoot

v brakes are easily on par, and in most cases, better than maguras for many reasons, suggesting an hs11 is especially stupid, most of its plastic as well as them being...well, shit basically. i suggest the people who always claim that vs are wank, try a properly setup system before judging them, rather than going by a bike you got 5 Christmases ago, that had a 2quid v brake on it, that was setup by a retard...

if you do insist on running a magura, get joe mahers brake, cos that actually works quite well, theres always a first i guess :)

I ran avid sd5 arms with A, ad3 lever and plaz v-fly pads with a crap cable...All that came to about £25 and worked soooo much better than a hs33..I would have my old setup back if I didnt go to disc....Pauly know's his shit when it comes to vees.. :) P.s This was a front setup.

This is what i would recomend:

Any Money:

Avid utimate arms: £55

Avid SD7 levers: £18 (prefer these to ultimates due to better lever shape)

£90ish

Adam

Well my mate is really spoilt so he will probaly get that, depends on what his dad says.

v-brakes rule!! especially if you have got vee mounts. i tried a maggie on my vee mounts and didnt get on with it at all. i would say get the plaz crv pads off tarty http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10005 and some cheap avid or shimano xtr leavers and he should be sorted!

See with that pad are you able to run them

with a harsh grind?

Johny

Edited by JohnyTrials

yup, crvs last for ages with a grind, I've got a set that are nearly 2 years old now (used loads), and have about 1mm left! so are on the bmx now :P

still recommend coust pads over them, cos cousts work in the wet too :D

if you have a particular magura pad you like, take it out of the crappy maggy backings and put them into some heatsink v backings, don't bother with v daptors, they are a shitty idea

yup, crvs last for ages with a grind, I've got a set that are nearly 2 years old now (used loads), and have about 1mm left! so are on the bmx now :P

still recommend coust pads over them, cos cousts work in the wet too :D

if you have a particular magura pad you like, take it out of the crappy maggy backings and put them into some heatsink v backings, don't bother with v daptors, they are a shitty idea

well im running a heatsink snowy pad with the Onza Vdaptor, my Vbrakes have never worked better! but where can i get the cousts pads?

(by the way I got a new Zoot frame)

v-brakes rule!! especially if you have got vee mounts. i tried a maggie on my vee mounts and didnt get on with it at all. i would say get the plaz crv pads off tarty http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=10005 and some cheap avid or shimano xtr leavers and he should be sorted!

ye mate they should be fine