To Stick With College Or Quit

fathopper

Has anyone been in this postion where your not sure wether to quit or not, U've spent the last year and a half doing First Dip, media and half way through the first year of National Dip Media, I just havent got the feel for college as I used to all i seem to be doing in my spare time is assignments, and all I want to do is my car, I'v thought of a few pros and cons, but the biggest con would be not seeing mates as often or my gf so, my question to you lot is have any of you been in this position before and what has been your solution to it?

ive been in this situation before and im in the situation again. you cant really consider not seeign your friends as often, i know theyre are your friends but in the end its your time and your future not theirs. how much longer have you got left? i dropped out of my first year of college for numerous reasons, went back did summat different and apssed. amybe not as well as i could ahve but im at uni. which unfortunately ive found im on the wrong course and im not enjoying it at all, so once again im either gonna change my course and stay on or drop out and go back and do summat different, there or elsewhere. the thing that makes me want to go back is the thought that i could be working in the same job ive been doing part time for the last 5 years for the rest of my life. ask yourself, would you be content working a shit job for the rest of your life, a job that you could have done got without any qualifications and without spending the last 'x' number of years at college.

really its down to how long youve got left and weather you think you could go further (uni or get a job that requires the qualification) once youve finished and passed?

I had the chance to either stay in college or drop out back in October, I chose the decidely stupid thing of dropping out. It's not all that bad because I'm training to go in the RAF. But if you haven't got a pretty safe plan for when you drop out, then you'll regret it like mad. I hate it working at tesco and I couldnt see me there in about a years time, which would make me a complete dosser. Just think about the future!

stick with it mate - it's hard enough getting a job in that sort of field if you've got a relevant degree - you'd be completely screwed with no qualifications at all.

you'll also regret not being able to slack about doing student stuff without getting harrassed by whoever's paying for your food

How long do you have left on the course? If you have already studied for 1 1/2 years and now another 1/2 year it would be a big waste to give it up now? College and further education isn't for everyone but if you have managed to stick with it this long then you've got to have been doing something right. You'll just have to accept that for a while there will be a lot of work to do- get your head down and get on with it. No offence but from what I have read you come across a bit lazy. I'm sure quitting and getting more time to play about with your car would be fun for a while but think a bit more long term than this- would it really be worth it?

I was similar a few years back when I was at college- unmotivated, lazy (hence the name :P) and bored at college. I didnt want to be stuck at home writing boring essays, I wanted to be out on my bike. But at the end of the day its only a few years of your life which is nothing in the grand scale of things. While it wont guarantee you a better job, more money and all that kind of stuff it will certainly give you a much better opportunity to do so.

Stick.

I almost quit 3 times, and glad I didnt because i wouldnt have the job im in now or the salary when i complete my apprenticeship.

Worth it in the long run :)

Sack doing the car up, why ruin your life over a car! Get an education that in time when you qualify can get you the money to do whatever you want to a car.

It's called prioritizing your life (Y)

Edited by Si-man

Stick.

I almost quit 3 times, and glad I didnt because i wouldnt have the job im in now or the salary when i complete my apprenticeship.

Worth it in the long run :)

Sack doing the car up, why ruin your life over a car! Get an education that in time when you qualify can get you the money to do whatever you want to a car.

It's called prioritizing your life (Y)

spot on, i agree totally

Just to clear it up, alans not blingin up a small hatch back. He's restoring his dads old jowett, but still, stick with college. You'll just regret it if you quit and will have waisted the last yeah. I know a few people who have quit and they've all just gone strait back in september.

When it comes to the crunch, you have to make the ultimate decision and what works for some people will not work for you. I will give you a quick run down on me. I never did any school exams/qualification not even GCSEs (I left school at 9 but that’s another story) went straight into full time employment at 16 as a bike mech, read lots of books on things like engineering and developed my knowledge on aircraft as it’s a bit of a love of mine, and 4 years ago walked into a position as an aircraft engineer full time, they wanted me based on knowledge not on how many bits of paper I had (I know this to be true as I have none), recently I handed in my notice and found they didn’t want to loose me and wanted to contract me back as self employed and now I’m becoming inundated with work and I earn more money than the blokes that have been through 4 years of college.

My wife has done a similar thing to you she was 32 months into a 3 year OT degree and decided to leave, she took parts of the course and is now self employed earning well but with lots of free time.

The degree is not always the way to go, education and knowledge is and you don’t have to go to school for that.

Still like I said in the beginning the way I do things may not work for you, also my methods are not socially accepted, keep that in mind.

you can always get another girl friend but you won't get another chance at college really

talk to your mates, they'll understand talk to her maybe take a "break" (mean while you can do someone else)

as for your car why not go out on weekends with it

I've got another year and a half roughly of this course, ive already got one first diploma media qualafication in the bag done got the papery bit, its just this year ive found i havent settled in to the National Diploma course in media as well and am jusr finding it hard to keep up with the workload and deadlines and stuff and one of my lecturers is a complete a hole, i need to get a job feel I cant because of the work load and other commitments. I've just recently applied for this ema thing and to be honest i like to work for my money so not sure on that one. And as for the car its kinda like an oaps retirement hobby, only ive got this at my age so ever wonder why retired oaps do up classic cars, its baecause they have time to do it and i dont. My ideal situation would be to just get a job just to live off for now do up the car then apply for a functions/wedding lisence then drive the car around that way id be making money off it. Also if I did stay on at college the place I'd want to go after would be to get a job in adult enteraintment industry lots of money in that so these choices are screwing me over I don't know what to do

Or I could get into the clasic car business?? I don't know

Edited by fathopper