Firewall, Which One?

Willy

Hay all,

Am after a legitimate free firewall and quite frankly have no idea what to get now that I cant seem to find zone alarm doing a free one anymore, so come on ideas?

Needs all the basics and preferably program and network control (Y)

Must obviously be good at what it does and not just a waste of time

Willy

Windows firewall is perfectly sufficient for home use as long as you keep up to date on windows update. People are far too paranoid.

If you use torrents though its been known to hinder them, sometimes quite severely. I saw a noticable difference in the speed of my downloads when i switched it off.

Comodo works well enough for me, plus its easy to use.

Cant say ive had any problems with the xp or vista one with utorrent.

Yeah, i didn't think i had, but after turning it off for a week or so i noticed that instead of torrents getting speeds of like 224kb/s dl they were getting speeds of 350-400kb/s. Apparantly it can intefere with a lot of peoples connections. I found out from looking at a tutorial on how to speed up torrents and alongside things like using incoming connection patches and editing diferent bits of windows, switching the firewall off was the one i tried first.

ZoneAlarm, been using them for about 5 years and really can't complain. Doesn't hog all the memory like Norton but does an equally good job.

Sure you can still get their free firewall off of their site.

seconded. the free one is still free and I also have been using it for 5 years or so

i find it's easier to configure for specific apps than the XP one - which like danny says is perfectly adequate for most people.

Yeah, i didn't think i had, but after turning it off for a week or so i noticed that instead of torrents getting speeds of like 224kb/s dl they were getting speeds of 350-400kb/s. Apparantly it can intefere with a lot of peoples connections. I found out from looking at a tutorial on how to speed up torrents and alongside things like using incoming connection patches and editing diferent bits of windows, switching the firewall off was the one i tried first.

Yea ive seen the patches. Definitely no problems for me. It regularly saturates my download speed (~450kb/s)

I cant seem to find zone alarm doing a free one anymore, so come on ideas?

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...=GB&lang=en

As part of my dissertation at Uni I tested various firewalls under different attacks. The free Zone Alarm product performed far better, and was more configurable and usable, than some much more expensive paid for products.

Ever since, I've turned off windows firewall and used Zone Alarm along with the simple firewall on my ADSL router. It's also made by a company called Checkpoint (I am actually a certified Checkpoint Certified Security Administrator!) who make some very hefty firewalls indeed and are damn good.

Zone Alarm is very, very good. The fact it's free is astounding.

Sygate Personal Firewall - I've downloaded over 400GB of movies/music etc. on my Uni connection with every single port scan blocked. A mate of mine next door downloaded 3 films with Limewire and has lost his connection and been fined. I would swear by Sygate any day.

Zone Alarm is very, very good. The fact it's free is astounding.

That's kind of what my mum said - before she retired she used to do security research for BT so I'd go by her opinion. The only bad thing about it is the tendency to kill battlefield and counterstrike if it pops up a question at the wrong moment - you can turn that off though.

Out of interest, which do you suggest?