Rear Mini Gayness!

Ducko

good evening!

i have a rear hope mini its been off bike for a good 8 months just put it back on yesterday,

done enough riding to bed it in in the past 2 days!!

but alas the brake works as well as a sweaty slipper.

when i pull the brake it doesnt have the usual modulation and nice bitting feel,

its like two bricks are rubbing the disk the only way to lock the back wheel is by hauling on the damn lever!

so really im not sure what it is but i could do with this brake being fully operational!

im thinking maybe the pads have become contaminated? but the brake does not leak?

any ideas?

thank you folks!

Edited by craigdavies

good evening!

i have a rear hope mini its been off bike for a good 8 months just put it back on yesterday,

done enough riding to bed it in in the past 2 days!!

but alas the brake worlds as well as a sweaty slipper.

when i pull the brake it doesnt have the usual modulation and nice bitting feel,

its like two bricks are rubbing the disk the only way to lock the back wheel is by hauling on the damn lever!

so really im not sure what it is but i could do with this brake being fully operational!

im thinking maybe the pads have become contaminated? but the brake does not leak?

any ideas?

thank you folks!

Give it a nice bleed through again, leaving hope brakes lying for a while usualy makes them feel like s**t for some reason.

Just bleed it through with some good old dot 5.1 and a new set of pads and she should be all good after that.

isnt there a way of clensing the pads by heating them and sanding the top layer off?

cheers

You can put them in a pan of poinling water and then sand the top layer off, but im guessing its just some nasty old brake oil thats causing the lack of power.

dont be shy with heating the pads! get a blow torch to them!

Yeah, do that. Or just use a gas hob (if you have one).

There's no point cleaning the pads if your disc is dirty, either. So get some soapy water (preferably use some degreaser) and clean the disc too.

Clean the rotor in boiling water and a new scourer.

Boil the pads. Or stick them in the oven. Or a blow torch.

This usually brings it all to the surface. Then use a metal file to just file off the layer.

Unless the lever feels REALLY spongy, I wouldn't bother bleeding it. You shouldn't need to bleed them that reguarly at all.

i would put the disk and pads on something non greasy and put em on full power in oven for 10-15 mins

then take out and let em cool out side naturaly (dont put water on em)

then hold a piece of sand paper on a desk flat and rub the pads against it.

and give the disk a quik sand too.

then re fit all.

try bedding in again with water.

if that donet quite get em going, get some meths, (or even better super horrid thinner for car factory paint)

and throw that on and ride about and then water then thinner then water.

then ride and enjoy a very good brake.

it works GOOOD !

iolo.x

I put mud on the rotors to bed mine in, just wipe it round the disc then ride up and down your road with the brakes dragging until they start to bite well, then hose it all out and get them dry.