Car Insurance

Onzaallen

Hello, i am going to be turning 17 in a few months time and need to start thinking about driving....... I would like to start my own policy as i have heard that it is the best way to go.

I have been given a car by my sister its a 'citroen saxo 1.4sx 5dr 1996 (p reg).' I hav been told that saxos cost a lot to insure as thats what most boy racers have? as to weather that is true?

So i am not sure if i should keep it or sell it on and get a smaller engine sized car like a 1.0 saxo or 1.0 or 1.2 clio ect ?

So i am wondering.......what car insurance companys do you guys use or recomend for young drivers? I have noticed that girls/laddies are a lot cheaper than young men which seems a wee bit unfair to say the least!

Am i just as well to keep the saxo that my sister very nicely gave to me?

If not the what car should i get instead? around the £700 or £800 mark?

Thanks in advance, Allen

Hello, i am going to be turning 17 in a few months time and need to start thinking about driving....... I would like to start my own policy as i have heard that it is the best way to go.

I have been given a car by my sister its a 'citroen saxo 1.4sx 5dr 1996 (p reg).' I hav been told that saxos cost a lot to insure as thats what most boy racers have? as to weather that is true?

So i am not sure if i should keep it or sell it on and get a smaller engine sized car like a 1.0 saxo or 1.0 or 1.2 clio ect ?

So i am wondering.......what car insurance companys do you guys use or recomend for young drivers? I have noticed that girls/laddies are a lot cheaper than young men which seems a wee bit unfair to say the least!

Am i just as well to keep the saxo that my sister very nicely gave to me?

If not the what car should i get instead? around the £700 or £800 mark?

Thanks in advance, Allen

personally i find all small cars attract a premium, as there seen as starter cars, regardless of insurance groups, for example, i seem to remember my bmw in standard form(group11) cost £21 more to insure than a 1.2 punto, which was about 8 groups lower, purely cos as a 18 year old i wasnt expected to have a car like that.

but still dont think youll see a lot of difference in small engined cars, the way me an my mates found it round, is theres a minimum price youll pay for insurance at a 17, regardless of what car you got, some of my friends, had 1.9 turbo derv 306s(group 5) others had group 2 0.9l cinquentos, an some had corsa sri's(group 6), an we wer all paying the same apart from like £20 or so. should imagine itll be similar else where.

best thing is to get some quotes on your car, then get some quotes on smaller cars.

bear in mind this was a gift from your sister,she may not approve of you selling it.so if your only saving about £100 on insurance, may as well pay it, to save the hastle of changing cars, your sisters anger, an you know where this cars been for the last year or so, so better idea of its history.

Yeah, i was only going to change car if i could get insurance down by a few hundered (fairly unlikely) I looked on tesco and i got quoted £1708.35 for the saxo and its £1491.00 for a clio 1.2rl so i am not sure its worth changing.

So anybody know of any good insurance companys for young learner drivers? or is every insurance company going to be pretty much the same?

Edited by Onzaallen

I had my first years insurance with elephant. they were the cheapest i could get on my 1.2 corsa (£1050) However unless there is a big price difference i wouldnt go with them as they are not the most helpful company when it comes to making changes on your policy etc.

Im looking for cars and car insurance at the mo as im 17 and its driving me crazy!

At the moment ive come to the stage where im now looking at 1.4 and 1.2 clios as they are cheap(ish) to buy and insure.

You need to get loooaaads of quotes from everyone and check if you can pay monthly as paying over a grand in one lump sum for me is quite hard.

People ive found cheapest so far are quinn direct and direct line.

Direct line were cheap as but dont do monthly payments for 17 year olds.

So try Quinn direct

Good luck!

sorry guys but the people most expensive to insure are 17year old boys. Don't feel offended, take it as a compliment if you can :)

keeping that in mind, it pretty much means you're gna be raped for money regardless of what car it is. I think from memory one of the cheapest is a 1.0l nissan micra.......so if you're desperate to get around that might be your choice

www.parkers.co.uk find the insurance groupings and look for a car you like in the LOWEST group (no higher than 4)

Im driving a citroen saxo 1.1l (my mums paying for insurance for me, her + brother) and i've recently acquired a skoda felicia 1.9diesel estate. Insurance wise, the skoda is £1051 a year under my name third party fire and theft

Im with www.ecar.co.uk

good luck :)

Another insurance question-

Will it make much difference on insurance costs being a 22 year old first time driver as opposed to 17/18? All being well I should be driving later this year. Can anyone give me an example/ rough estimate of what I could expect to pay on, say a Corsa (older model) ?

Will it make much difference on insurance costs being a 22 year old first time driver as opposed to 17/18? All being well I should be driving later this year. Can anyone give me an example/ rough estimate of what I could expect to pay on, say a Corsa (older model) ?

i *think* once you get passed the 21 mark they aren't so cuntish with insurance, even if you havent got any no claims. I passed my test october last year and have just turned 20 this january and my insurance is very much like if i was 17-my 2000 SEAT Toledo 1.9tdi 110se is 2200 to insure fully comp on my own policy, but i'm guessing thats only that high because of the value, if i had gone for an equally powered car that was far older then i wouldn't get raped as bad (i decided to go on my dads insurance for 800quid as i intend on traveling and going to uni so the car wont get used much). For an old corsa you shouldn't be paying much, just whack your details into confused.com with a vague idea on when you will be driving and what car it will be and itll point you in the right direction of costs

hell yes

its actually better at 18 than 17. my 1.1 saxo was about £2500 per anum :blink: but now its about £1700 still quite high but better all the same

Do your pass plus too! its taken £40 a month off my insurance ~ £480 a year?

I passed when I was 18, but didn't get a car till I was 20. I got a 1.5yr old 1.2 Corsa (was on a 51 plate). The insurance was about £800 fully comp. Granted in my case it appeared that I had got 2yrs experience, but because I didn't have any insurance history for those two years I'm sure it didn't make that much difference.

Being 22 will put in a far better position as you will be classed as more of an adult as the rest of 17yr old first timers and your quotes should reflect that provided you get a sensible first car.

<can't be arsed reading the entire thread> just thought i'd say try Barclays for insurance. My first year insurance was £1400 with direct line, the next year i was quoted around £1000 at most places but barclays quoted me £540, so i went with them. My insurance runs out on the 15th of this month so yet again i have been 'shopping' around, and again most places have quoted me like £600+ where as barclays sent me a renewal for £501.

fair enough i thought, however i literally went on their site about 15 minutes ago and got a quote for £457 on exactly the same car and everything, so i'm probably gonna just re buy it for less, rather than renew it.

changing my car in a month or so anyway, so trying to save as much as possible without spending it on my current bean can of a clio.</can't be arsed reading the entire thread>

summary: Barclays ***!

personally i find all small cars attract a premium, as there seen as starter cars, regardless of insurance groups, for example, i seem to remember my bmw in standard form(group11) cost £21 more to insure than a 1.2 punto, which was about 8 groups lower, purely cos as a 18 year old i wasnt expected to have a car like that.

this is the same story with myself, im looking and getting myself a bmw e36 316i compact, yes it aint your average 17 year olds car but its no dearer to insure than a 1.1 saxo etc. yes it wont be my own policy but im not really to fussed as ive sorted something out with my dad etc about this.

and plus getting the bmw ill make it really tidy then 2 years down the line drop a nice 2.5ltr engine in there obviously uprating everything at the same time.

and another reason for getting the bmw, is that i have learnt to drive in a 1.6sport focus, 1.8tdci focus estate and 1.8tdci focus (AA car) so i dont really wanna go to a smaller engine car would rather pay a tad extra and have a car i dont have to rag the arse of to go anywhere.

cheers ian.

my insurance quotes literally halved upon reaching 21 years old. and thats with no years no claims. could never afford to insure the cars i had from 18 onwards. got me a 1.4 fiesta zetec at 18, then got quoted £2.5k on insurance, as its a group 7 car! the insurance quotes for that are still quite high. dunno if the class it as a 'hot hatch' or something. anyways, at 22, its cheaper for me to insure a 130bhp Passat TDi, or a 2.0l Zetec Focus. so gonna do that next year!

for you new drivers, i would seriously recommend getting the cheapest to insure car for at least the first year or two, on your own policy. it really will pay dividends when you reach 21, and have up to 3 years no claims bonus. your insurance will be sod all and you can have whatever you want then! also remember, you're inexperienced, and if you are in an accident, it is VERY unlikely you will win the claim if theres a shadow of doubt over the circumstances. i got hit by a speeding motorist, 7 weeks after passing my test. he ADMITTED to speeding, yet still won the insurance claim, and my premium nigh on doubled! and that was on my mums policy (started at £600 on a 1.2 non-injected nova, went to just over a grand). also with your inexperience, i would certainly suggest you are gonna bump it to some degree (nearly everyone i know has at some point), and if you have to claim, they will rape you for it. after that guy claimed off my insurance, i just bought a new car for £450 (the first one was only £480) and that did me for a year. if you stuff a smart car, you gonna get screwed if you claim for a new one, or you've gotta buy a new one which is a waste of a nice car in the first place

i mean no offence by all the inexperience comments, but any car enthusiasts will tell you exactly the same thing. no matter how good a driver you think you are, it is better that you learn from a wee bump in a crappy car at a young age. unfortunately, i know young lads who thought they were invincible on the roads and are now dead.

Smithy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the help guys! i just got a quote off quinn-direct for £679.80 third party, fire and theft, it seems a bit weird because it's over a grand less than any other quote i have been given! I went back and checked everything over again and i have filled everything in just as normal and it was still the same quote. It just felt like it was too good to be true.

Thanks very much again people.

Thanks so much for all the help guys! i just got a quote off quinn-direct for £679.80 third party, fire and theft, it seems a bit weird because it's over a grand less than any other quote i have been given! I went back and checked everything over again and i have filled everything in just as normal and it was still the same quote. It just felt like it was too good to be true.

Thanks very much again people.

be very careful with quinn direct! if for some reason you need to change the car they will not insure you on higher grouped car!