Sidehopping

*BOOTHY*

Hi

Well I am having trouble sidehopping I just cant get the hang of it. I am Left foot forward and sidehop to the left and if I try to do it to the right i cant even get up a really small wall. But when i do it to the left i can get up small things but thats it, when I try to get up bigger walls I just get onto the back wheel then bottle it. Has anyone got any tips to help me?

Thanks in advance

Jack (Y)

BTW I did search but there was none helpfull. So dont get mad.

Don't bottle it :( i'm afraid thats alls i can say. I was the same, then when i went for stuff i thought at the time was out of my capability i just jumped off. Then one day i thought sod it i'll just go for it. From then on it was easy.

I think everyone has that trouble when they first start trying to sidehop. When I first learnt I was like you and sidehopped near my front foot. But after you get the hang of it that way, then you should be able to to sidehop the other way (but you have to be patient and practise). If you have your front foot away from the wall then you will find it easier to sidehop bigger stuff.

Richard

Side hopping is basically commitment. If you do not commit to a sidehop you will NOT get up it. Just get on the backwheel, look at the top of the wall not at the side.

Jusr follow what Mr Watson said:

rite:

get on backwheel sort your sen out, pull the bike higher then normal so its more vertical, and stall like that for as long as poss...

then smash your pedals hard as u can!! and pull in with your arm then smash em out again (this'l cuase the bike the jump up)

now think about tryin to smack your sen in the forhead with your forward legs knee (this will make your legs tuck upwards and to the side)

rite pressuming ur not a weak lil weaner and ur up :P push the bike into a tilt and turn your front wheel

ur up B) look at your m8s with a massive cheesy, then post £20 to me for tutoring you.. :P:P

Dan.........

P.s - "Sen" means "Self".

had the same as Alex, it would take me ages before I'd feel confident to sidehop a wall.. this was because i sidehopped to the direction of my lead foot, when the rear wheel didn't make it onto the wall i'd fall onto my back, bottom or head

having learned to sidehop to the opposite direction to my lead foot, i now feel really confident. now i'm more scared about the front wheel not making it ;)

just try and learn to sidehop to the right. it's not as difficult as it may seem.

concentrate on that and only that for about 3 days and i promise you'll get much better at sidehops

had the same as Alex, it would take me ages before I'd feel confident to sidehop a wall.. this was because i sidehopped to the direction of my lead foot, when the rear wheel didn't make it onto the wall i'd fall onto my back, bottom or head

having learned to sidehop to the opposite direction to my lead foot, i now feel really confident. now i'm more scared about the front wheel not making it ;)

just try and learn to sidehop to the right. it's not as difficult as it may seem.

concentrate on that and only that for about 3 days and i promise you'll get much better at sidehops

I do sidehop to the right(left footed)

and im mod so i have nothing to hit if i dont make it, but i just have this massive mental block i just cant try new sidehops:(

Side hopping is basically commitment. If you do not commit to a sidehop you will NOT get up it. Just get on the backwheel, look at the top of the wall not at the side.

Well said ^

Comitment is key. Sometimes I just don't feel like sidehopping something. But once I gather the balls to do it once then I know its fine. It doesn't matter that i've stacked/bailed, once I've tried I feel relaxed because I know I can try again and again. The first effort is always the worst I find.

Just a thought

Phil

ps I know how you feel about mental blocks. Yesterday it took about 15 goes getting on the back wheel just to sidehop a wall im completely capable of doing with ease. When I actually went for it cleared it by miles. Just gotta bring out the balls sometimes. (eg not like I did) :)

Edited by Phil_Onza

Jusr follow what Mr Watson said:

Dan.........

P.s - "Sen" means "Self".

Thanks for that soooooo helpful am off out to try it inabit.

Keep at it young Booth. It will come to you.

You seem to have hit that wall (pardon the pun) you will struggle for a bit and think you are rubbish. Then all of a sudden it will come and you will be on fire.

I hit the wall and I just can't get passed it. Robbie hits it stays put for a week or two then he moves on. Thats just how it seems to go pal.

We will go out on Thursday night if you want buddy.

Commitment,

and also, if you try to sidehop opposite your lead foot, you'll realise that it lets your other foot free for dabs if you are in trouble, hence, quite safer than going to the same side of your lead foot. Once you know that, you should feel better, you can go full on as nothing really bad will happen to you on that side (except if you climb on very narrow stuff)

That's how I beat the mental barrage ^_^

I had similar difficulties, I use to ride like 5 years ago and gave up - always use to sidehop to the left, towards my leading foot (old school way as well)

then about 1 year ago I started riding again, and was learning the new school side hop to the left as before, I was doing like 6 blue pallets max but it was so so so inconsistent, like sometimes I could only do 4-5 blue ones.

and I was always putting my foot down and bottling out, so I said to myself I would learn going to the right which would give more clearance etc and should be my more natural side, after doing that for about a month I was nailing 6 pallets every go, and now I am side hoping about 45-47 inches.

My balance is not what it was when going to the left but that will come with time etc.

So I would say just learn the trick again going to the right. And see what happens

Whilst on the topic of side hopping I need a bit of help with another problem relating to it.

I've learnt sort of how to side hop (I go in the direction that gives me bad crank clearance and don't do the pedal kick).

I'm just wondering as to how the pedal kick should be executed, when and how much?

Because at the moment, my sidehops are side flicks, I don't exactly hop, I just flick the bike onto the front wheel, kinda annoying.

Thanks,