Isis

1337 Trials

Most of the square taper cranks I've had have rounded off really quickly. I'd probably save more money and get ISIS ones, and a seperate freewheel as it works out as better value for money in the long run.

yeah i coulnt agree more, now i have a set off isis middleburns and an echo isis bb fair enough it cost more than the square tapper versions but i would say its worth the difference. go isis you no you want to.

Stronger axles and in theory, less chance of rounding the cranks, altho it is still more than possible and a lot more expensive to correct. The BB bearings are smaller too, and generally last a lot shorter time than sq taper ones.

I might keep Square taper then because im not into heights really ide rather ride stuff like 6 bricks heigh. Anyway, I get alot of creeking but im thinking its my cranks because not long ago I had a shimano BB put in , after my old one snapped,lol :)

~Matty

however much money you spend on an internal isis bb the bearing wont last at all long, i get through them soooooo quickly!

square taper bearings last 10 times longer and unless you're going neil tunnicliffe kind of big you dont need a stronger axel than a shimano UN53, theyre awesome sq taper bbs...and cheap too :D they last years and feel well stiff!

a square crank will only round if you dont look after it properly and dont keep them tight!

theres absolutely nothing wrong with square taper!!!

just make sure the tapers are clean and free af grease when you put the arm off and invest in an extra long-handled 8mm alen key t o do them up well tight!!

i guess this whole post is rathe hippocritical as i'm running isis cranks on my stock at the moment but yeah... square ***!

however much money you spend on an internal isis bb the bearing wont last at all long, i get through them soooooo quickly!

square taper bearings last 10 times longer and unless you're going neil tunnicliffe kind of big you dont need a stronger axel than a shimano UN53, theyre awesome sq taper bbs...and cheap too :D they last years and feel well stiff!

a square crank will only round if you dont look after it properly and dont keep them tight!

just make sure the tapers are clean and free af grease when you put the arm off and invest in an extra long-handled 8mm alen key t o do them up well tight!!

i guess this whole post is rathe hippocritical as i'm running isis cranks on my stock at the moment but yeah... square ***!

TRUE! (Y)

I think unless your gonna spend a decent wedge of cash and get a decent ISIS bb, with either roller bearings or external bearings so they last, then stick with square. Plus ISIS cranks themselves are more expensive.

However the cranks dont round as easily on ISIS, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe that the larger diameter axle in a ISIS bb makes it less likely to snap. But thats only ever gonna be a problem if you started riding biggg stuff.

Since im not going ISIS I could spend the extra on a try-all freewheel but my mate had one and snapped it :S Can I just add that, what crank arm length should I get because I ride mod but I hear 170mm is better for pedal ups/on the rear wheel and I do this alot. What do you think???

~Matty :P

It would make sense, if that post was right. If you were to get something like the truvativ giga pipe team DH bb, an actually one not the slalom giga pipe one. I mean the one with 4 bearings in it. These bb's last ages, I've been running mine since christmas and it was second hand then, never made a noise. People splash out on cheaper truvativ ones or these echo external ones and they don't last. The external ones are better but can't be run front freewheel.

Get an ISIS giga pipe TEAM DH (should be around £45) and you can't go wrong.

It would make sense, if that post was right. If you were to get something like the truvativ giga pipe team DH bb, an actually one not the slalom giga pipe one. I mean the one with 4 bearings in it. These bb's last ages, I've been running mine since christmas and it was second hand then, never made a noise. People splash out on cheaper truvativ ones or these echo external ones and they don't last. The external ones are better but can't be run front freewheel.

Get an ISIS giga pipe TEAM DH (should be around £45) and you can't go wrong.

I think im gona stay square taper for now, because the freewheel will help me get more power :)

Ps. Just buying try-all or maybe tensile freewheel with echo forged cranks...

~Matty

I think im gona stay square taper for now, because the freewheel will help me get more power :)

Ps. Just buying try-all or maybe tensile freewheel with echo forged cranks...

~Matty

Erm, no. It won't.

Unless your changing your gear ratio the only thing the freewheel is going to give you is reliability and a quicker engagement. The quicker engagement is only really needed when you trying to put some crank rotations in before getting up something. If you can gap properly already then you won't see a difference in having "more power".

Erm, no. It won't.

Unless your changing your gear ratio the only thing the freewheel is going to give you is reliability and a quicker engagement. The quicker engagement is only really needed when you trying to put some crank rotations in before getting up something. If you can gap properly already then you won't see a difference in having "more power".

I meant engagement points,lol. Sorry

~Matty