How To Remove A Freewheel

Class Clown

yep i agree i think you do need the tool so dont be a tight sod an go an get one

they are only like £8 so its not exactly breaking the bank =/

(Y)

{Spudrik}

lol ok but i really wanted to do it today and now way of getting one what about screwdriver as it a pile of crap freewheel anyways?

pimp

lol ok but i really wanted to do it today and now way of getting one what about screwdriver as it a pile of crap freewheel anyways?

pimp

I think you'll find the freewheel is quite well attached if you've already used the wheel for a little while. Ask your local bike shop if they can pop it off for you, they shouldn't charge you a lot, if anything.

If it has tabs on it like the dicta and ACS freewheels then you maybe be able to do it using a screwdriver and a mallet, but you need a large flat headed screwdriver as the smaller ones will dig into the tab your trying to knock round.

Be warned, using a hammer and screw driver increases the chances of you damaging the threads as your unscrewing it. So be careful when you do it.

If this is still any use, I know how to do it but it means dismantling the freewheel and it will not be re-usable...??

1.There will be 2 small punch holes on the freewheel, get a punch or if must, use a screw driver and a hammer, place the punch in the hole and hit it clockwise with the hammer ( opposite threads ).

2.The cover will come off, lift up the freewheel, all the gubbings such as the bearings, pawls and springs will fall out so have a tub handy to put them into.

3. I would clean all the grease off the bit that will be left on the wheel/crank. You must have a big vice for this bit, if the vice is too small it will slip out. Place the wheel/crank in the vice on the remainder of the freewheel. You also need muscles to do this part too lol. These threads are standard thread direction (anti-clockwise), you need to pull on the crank/wheel until it comes loose, then remove it from the vice and thats it.

Easy really unless you want to keep the freewheel which you are removing.

Cheers, hope I made sense and helped you.. CJ.. (Y)

yeah right, the correct tool just completely f**ked my eno, the lockring won't even budge no more. f**king nice one. Man i'm pissed off

EDIT: from now on i'm just buying Acs's

Edited by Barber

yeah right, the correct tool just completely f**ked my eno, the lockring won't even budge no more. f**king nice one. Man i'm pissed off

EDIT: from now on i'm just buying Acs's

If you need to get your ENO off the crank but the tool wont do it, follow my instructions if it's knackere anyway mate.. if they make sense to you that is lol.

CJ.. (Y)

Well the reason i was getting the eno off in the first place was because i'd just bought new cranks. So now i need to spend more and get a free wheel which is gay.

EDIT: oh and CJ, the 'punch holes' you refer to are on the lockring, which won't budge :)

Edited by Barber

What did you do exactly?

Probably slipped and rounded the tabs off...

I preffer the whole dismantling and using a monkey wrench...

Thats exactly what happened.

I stuck the tool on, used an old hub axle with two bolts to keep it on, got an adjustable spanner on the tool, used a bar for leverage then raped the tabs. Along with the lockring.