Which Be The Best Bike

Anjow

They put the BB's in at Supercycles for me both times. Its not my fault.

At this time I was only able to drop off about 2ft so I was not doing any thing crazy that could break it. :S

Well obviously you must of rode round with the bb loose or something and that damaged the threads they do need tightening up and checking regulary i doubt a shop would cross thread a frames bb and if they had they wouldn't carry on putting the bb in and leave it. Oh well this is going off topic for the guy so best leave it.

Ok I was a bit harsh.... Sorry :turned:

Just my experience with ONZA has been terrible. They have cost me alot of money. Just warning you.

P.s. I do know how to fix and maintain a bike. It was a fault with the frame...

Edited by _CRED_

Don't bother with the monty, it as a rear freewheel, which'll make the process of upgrading much more difficult.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean that the other bikes don't have freewheels? So you can't coast down a hill for example?

Can you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean that the other bikes don't have freewheels? So you can't coast down a hill for example?

Well some weird racing bikes don't, but trials bikes all have freewheels (or a freehub). Basically on a mod bike, the freewheel can be at the back wheel or attached to the cranks. Higher-end mod bikes all have front freewheel for reasons I've not quite fathomed. So basically if you wanted to upgrade the drivetrain, then it would be better to have front freewheel so you can upgrade piece by piece without upgrading the whole lot.

Well some weird racing bikes don't, but trials bikes all have freewheels (or a freehub). Basically on a mod bike, the freewheel can be at the back wheel or attached to the cranks. Higher-end mod bikes all have front freewheel for reasons I've not quite fathomed. So basically if you wanted to upgrade the drivetrain, then it would be better to have front freewheel so you can upgrade piece by piece without upgrading the whole lot.

I think the whole ffw is to allow for a better gear ratio as i think most mod riders have 18:12 or something along those lines and I think the smallest fw ive seen is 16t so you'd have to get a massive ring on the front to get a similar ratio, which wouldn't be very useful

or something like that!

It seems I've got the money faster than expected, so I've got a couple of questions:

Supercycles - are they okay to buy from? How's their service? Anyone had problems?

In what state will a bike be when it arrives? Will I have to put bits together? Is that doable with little to no mechanical knowledge? What tools would I need?

Do trials bikes have quick releases on the wheels?

Unfortunately I can't ride any bikes to try them.

I don't know anyone with one, I live nowhere near any shop that sells them aside from Tartybikes, and they have said that I can't try any.

A bit OT, but whereabouts are you from mate? I live just round the corner from tarty, you should come riding in chorley when you've got your bike!

OT....have you decided which bike you're going to get then?

I've only ever bought from tarty, so you'll have to hang on for someone who's bought from supercycles to answer that one.

I imagine the bike will be in pieces when it arrives. Again, I'm not sure completely what state of.....build? it'll be in.

As far as quick releases go....I'm not sure either. I don't think many, or any mods will have quick releases (someone correct me if I'm wrong,) because the rear wheel on a mod has horizontal dropouts, as opposed to vertical ones (like on a stock bike.) The difference being that horizontal dropouts are horizontal, so the wheel can slide up and down in the frame to get your chain tension right. Some might have a quick release on the front though.

Your best bet is probably to email Supercycles I think. Or wait for someone to post that knows more than me!

Edited by Billy

I was thinking I'd get the Zona Zip from Supercycles, but there were a couple of concerns:

Like I said, I wanted to buy from Tartybikes. From looking at their site and seeing people's feedback here they seem like a great place, but they don't have the Zona for sale as a complete bike there. As for how far I am from them - it is pretty far to be honest, just not far enough for me to be out of driving distance if the bike broke within 2 minutes of riding it, so I could still drive back and shout at them. I'm home from uni right now, but when I'm there I am in Manchester.

The Supercycles site is of some concern to me. Loads of the pages don't work, and haven't for months. I looked at that site back when I was first looking at bikes a long time ago and they had the same problem then. It doesn't make me feel good about a place when they don't bother to keep their site working.

I wanted to get some gloves with the bike purchase, but the gloves page is one of the ones on the Supercycles site that isn't working.

How does the Monty 219 Magura compare to the Zona Zip? If someone told me they were on equal footing then I would just get the Monty from Tartybikes. The thing is I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell the differences myself. If it was around as good then getting it from Tartybikes means I could get gloves with it, be near the place I bought it from and be comfortable in knowing I'd be supporting what seems like a top notch shop. And I'd get a free chainstay protector :P

the zona is stupidly strong, the geometry is prety awesome to (very similar to the ZOO! python) i've not had experiance with montys but i get the idea they aren't as strong but there probably lighter (Y) but if your starting out then weight doesn't mean much, your bike'll seem light as hell anyway. I'd choose the zona over the monty.

That sounds good, but I'd imagine that would make it take a lot longer to get to me - and I kind of need to get it by Friday as I'm off back to uni at the weekend. I'll look into it, see how much that would be and perhaps give them a ring tomorrow.

Yeah, the website for Supercycles is rubbish, but they're are a decent company. Supercycles actually own Onza and Zona, so your bike would be initially coming from there anyway, even if you bought it from Tarty.

If you're very keen on getting it from Tarty, give them a ring and see what they can do. They're very friendly people and rarely busy ( :P ) so they like a good chat. They might be able a T-Pro with an upgraded spec for a bit more money or something like that, if that would suit you.

The Zona is better than the Monty, so I would stop thinking about that. For building it up, I doubt you will need any more than a pedal spanner and some allen keys, but you could always check when you phone up.

Where abouts do you live in Manchester? I live in Withington if you're after someone to ride with?

I've been wanting a bike for god knows how long, but each time I've had the money I've ended up spending it on some computer part or other. Now I have committed to saving up for one.

Here's the deal:

- I'll be looking to spend around £500-550. I honestly don't think I can spend more than £550 so please, don't go suggesting I spend something like £700. £550 is already the 'stretched' amount.

- I want a 20" bike.

- It must have at least rear maguras.

- It must come from Tartybikes. They are relatively near me and I want to be within driving distance for if there are any problems.

I suppose the two main ones I'd been looking at were the Monty 219 Magura and the Onza T-comp 07. The thing is I don't really know the difference between them. I also don't know what other things I'm looking for in a bike. In an ideal world I'd be able to ride to places on it, but manoeuvrability is more important since I do have a car. To be honest I think I have pretty much limited myself to one of the two bikes I mentioned, but whatever.

Hey, I currently ride an Onza T-Pro 07 (which is pratically the same as the T-Comp apart from drilled rims and magura's) I have magura's.

I have fallen in love with the bike and cant bare not having it even for a single day.

The thing I love is the way the weight is distributed around the bike, Its amazing. although, I think my front is a tad too heavy for me. so im replacing the bars and stem in a couple of months.

I dont have a clue about monty's I have ridden a couple, they were ok, they just wernt the same as my bike.

From a lot of people I have heard that the bottom range Monty's have poor geometries. but thats all I've heard.

Good Luck in Trials

Hope this helps

Charlie

Edited by charlie >est<

Onzas are ok as long as you have the sort of income to maintain all parts

My mate bought an 05 T-mag and he already has new headset, freewheel and needs a new rear wheel...

Probably better off getting something like a python from the fs section on here - it will only break as much as a new bike will...

Nathan (Y)

I've placed the order for the Zona Zip from Supercycles. They said they had to put it together anyway, so they'll be sending it out tomorrow and I should get it by friday. Which is good because I'd want a bit of a ride before I get back to uni, because when I'm there...

- If I ride it on the streets of Salford I'll be murdered and/or raped

- I have a 20,000 word dissertation to do in ~2 weeks

- If that wasn't enough I've also got to write some forum software for an assignment

Thanks for all the help and information.

Edited by Anjow

I've never actually ridden a mod bike before so here's something I was wondering:

I live 15 minutes walk from uni. Say it's a nice sunny day and I wanted to ride my bike to uni, would that be feasible? Or would I die trying?

I've never actually ridden a mod bike before so here's something I was wondering:

I live 15 minutes walk from uni. Say it's a nice sunny day and I wanted to ride my bike to uni, would that be feasible? Or would I die trying?

you would be fine.

Yeah it would be quicker than walking... But don't leave it anywhere with or without a lock on it - especially in Salford.

I wouldn't dare. A coursemate had a Morphine Banshee DH/Freeride bike worth ~£2.5k which he locked up outside the building we have lectures in using a £90 lock. Fortunately the uni security guards caught the scallies as they were wheeling it away. He's since gone to a ~£4k Santa Cruz VPFree which he hasn't brought in to uni... I wonder why.

I got the bike this morning and it's awesome.

My biking skills aren't though! They have diminished so much since when I used to ride. It's a lot harder to balance than on my ancient 26" bike, I suppose because of the wheels. I'm also thrilled to be able to ride places on it, I was afraid of the gear ratio being too low and not being able to effectively get anywhere.