Ordering A Custom Frame From The Far East

sfboy

I've been having a long think about it and I would really like to comission about 100 frame (not necessarily trials specific) from the far east and sell 'em real cheap. I was thinking geometry similar to the early planet x's, which seem to do as a good all round street/trials/dj/park bike.

So how do I go about doing that, Ko must get his frames custom made but now that planet x no longer make the jack flash I want to start doing something similar, like the rock hound and stuff?

I think that if your going to buy the type of frame you mentioned in your first post you will struggle to sell them on as most people are into long and low. Your limiting your market by geting that type of frame i would say go for a frame that has the looks of a modern frame (dengish) but also cheap, that way you have a bigger chance of selling them. Just my opinion though.

I think that if your going to buy the type of frame you mentioned in your first post you will struggle to sell them on as most people are into long and low. Your limiting your market by geting that type of frame i would say go for a frame that has the looks of a modern frame (dengish) but also cheap, that way you have a bigger chance of selling them. Just my opinion though.

On the other hand, there still are people out there that are not into long and low, and since there are so few frames out there that aren't these days you'll have quite a good market still!

On the other hand, there still are people out there that are not into long and low, and since there are so few frames out there that aren't these days you'll have quite a good market still!

Good point but if it was me i would rather play it safe with a frame that you no that most trials riders would like than in my eyes take a chance with a frame that only will apeal to a select few of the riders. But thats just if it was me.

It depends if you wanna sell it to people on here, who generally know alot about trials frames an go for the long, low, silver frames a la Deng.

Or if you wanna sell it to your 'MBUK' crew who know trials is done on bikes with low seats then you may wanna look at a crossover type of bike where they can fit a suspension fork on after they get bored with trials, and they can put a proper seat on.

Yeah those all look great, I was speaking to a guy at a bikeshop today saying that the real markup is at the distribution end, but he reckoned there would be a decent enough market for them. I'm starting to worry now, because what about if I order 100 and there all the wrong size or have a weak weld or 1" headtube or something. Maybe I just haven't got the balls for it :$

Where do you think they got that frame from in the first place? We are now waiting for the fourth prototype to be made with input from John Evans, Dave and Danny Butler and Rob Poyser. I would certainly say thats some R and D. For your information AluMate make T-Rex frames, Coustellier frames and several Koxx frames.

Furthermore I am sure that all these companies would welcome your frame designs and would be most pleased to make them for you. Minimum usually 200 frames. Payment up front usually about two months before you get them, Payment for tooling for CNC parts Prototype set up charges, freight costs, customs clearance and duty. Then of course you have to be prepared to take the wrath of many "trials riders" who can't understand why when they have spent the best part of six months beating it into submission, you won't replace it free of charge when it cracks. Welcome to our world.

i would buy the second one and the third one, although the shipping would be crazy price and how much you buying them for ?

Where do you think they got that frame from in the first place? We are now waiting for the fourth prototype to be made with input from John Evans, Dave and Danny Butler and Rob Poyser. I would certainly say thats some R and D. For your information AluMate make T-Rex frames, Coustellier frames and several Koxx frames.

i assume that's a response to my earlier comment to which I will respond with a genuine question

I don't pretend to know anything about the high flying world of international bike frame trading but I did make a load of money selling drugs at university so I understand the basic principles of running a business and I have to ask this ...

Why are you letting them flog your design on? I mean, if you've put a load of time and money into R&D on a design you're not going to let someone else stick their name on it and take all the credit - are you ?

Edited by poopipe