Hydrolic Gear Shifter

I read in the mbuk magazine about hydrolic gear shifters. and as i read in it came the price tag £1000 !!!! i though no ones going to pay that for a shifter. And i just wonted to no if anyone on here would pay that type of money for shifter ???

I read in the mbuk magazine about hydrolic gear shifters. and as i read in it came the price tag £1000 !!!! i though no ones going to pay that for a shifter. And i just wonted to no if anyone on here would pay that type of money for shifter ???

NOPE i saw that article two. I was shocked. Shifting would be amazingly fast but the cost of looking after it would soon build up :(

Ben

seems pointless to be honest. only point of hydrolic brakes is so there is sharper and more power when stopping. would be interesting to see how long they last and how they actually work.

No/Less need for tensioning which can be complicated I think? Maybe, maybe not. either way, it's an expensive solution to a minor problem

Plus every has riped a cable on a rim brake before. Think about paying £1000 for shifter, the one things that gets hit a lot in trials . well sometimes, and you rip a cable and its bound to mouian up in price and time replacing it .

Plus every has riped a cable on a rim brake before. Think about paying £1000 for shifter, the one things that gets hit a lot in trials . well sometimes, and you rip a cable and its bound to mouian up in price and time replacing it .

Not many trials bikes have gears :blink: They are more of a xc feature :)

Ben

Not many trials bikes have gears :blink: They are more of a xc feature :)

Ben

True but for a select few some people do . and when i used to ride stock, i did as i liked being to change gear and get to the place were i wonted to ride much faster. lol

True but for a select few some people do . and when i used to ride stock, i did as i liked being to change gear and get to the place were i wonted to ride much faster. lol

Haha thats a good point, but problems with gears are people use rubbish sram gripshifts which are the worst possible gear lever for trials as when you pull up you change gear and fall off :)

Ben

Haha thats a good point, but problems with gears are people use rubbish sram gripshifts which are the worst possible gear lever for trials as when you pull up you change gear and fall off :)

Ben

yup exatly ! Why i got one of a old "Grany" bike. the old shifter of them and put on the seat tube, keeps it out the way, and you dont fall of lol

liam

Ben

Use longer grips?

Besides, most people don't actually use them if they run gears, thumbshift changers are much more common.

No/Less need for tensioning which can be complicated I think? Maybe, maybe not. either way, it's an expensive solution to a minor problem

Cables streach, They use a lot of power, a lot more friction and stuff in the cables, its very "raw" hydraculic is a lot more efficient

I haven’t read the article, so who makes the shifters? I would never spend that much on shifters, why not buy an excellent normal set and get them working well for that money? If you bought them also bike shops probably wouldn't know what to do with them or how they worked so you’re on your own!