Freewheel Solution...:p

bennyb

Hi there :D....

Well today i really wanted to get my freewheel off to swap them it over onto my new cranks and could't think off any other way than a vice as i did't have one. So i was thinking on the lines of using the freewheel tool and a wooden work bench. i had a couple thoughts in mind and in the end i had it. It was fantastic i couldt beleave that my stuck freewheel would actully come off because it had been ridden on for ages. So here it is the way to get your stuck freewheel off.

So here we are i started off drilling two holes in the work bench like this ...... >>>>

canonpictures054.jpg

so after drilling my holes to the size of the crank arm. I got my crank arm a spare steel bolt on alxe and a freewheel tool. Then i placed

my crankarm down on my workbench then i placed the axle through the hole of the crank with the freewheel tool in place.

Either end of the axle i screwed on two nuts the got my wrench placed it in position but it wouldt stay still. So i found a clamp in my garage so clamped it on to the freewheel tool over the wrench witch kept it in position

Like this >>>>>

canonpictures031.jpg

canonpictures022.jpg

Well when that was all in place the back of the crank arm started to move so i found a bolt put it through the back of

the crank so it would stay in place.

Like this >>>>

canonpictures032.jpg

So we was all in place and ready to get the freewheel off but it was still to tight for any man power to wrench it so i hunted in my dads garage

and found a hollow scaffolding pole then i slided the pole onto the wrench. what gave me more leaverage to un-tighten the freewheel off the crank arm

Like this >>>

canonpictures024.jpg

Well here are all the tools you need for the job..!!>>>>>>>>>

canonpictures052.jpg

and the pole.

Here>>canonpictures053.jpg

So you need :

Drill and drill bit to size of crank hole

wrench

axle

2 nuts

freewheel tool

scaffolding pole

clamp

rear bolt ( pedel end )

Well i wouldt put this up to show you nothing ..

here we have it didt cost a penny and did't have to send it away.

to any bike shop.

WALLA..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>canonpictures051.jpg

Thanks bennyb : if you wouldt like any tips just e-mail me.

Beats my method hands down, I still havn't got a freewheel tool, so when I removed my ACS I stripped it down, wacked the inner section in the vice and hit the crank arm with a hammer!

Edited by KuelMuel

thats the same type of crank i put my try all on, was a first generation x lite crank. Did you have trouble getting yours on in the first place?

I also trid a bar abut that length but it didn't work for mine So I used a pneumatic hammer drill type thing.

i didnt do any mods and my 24 is 22 pounds

Kwl

i found a much quicker way yesterday.

put the crank arm in a vice.

use a g clamp to clamp the freewheel tool too the freewheel.

i used a monkey wrench to grip the tool and then whacked it with a hammer. works a treat. much quicker. + you dont need too go and find a huge scafolding pole. lol

yer but i did't want to bash my anything with a hammer i broke somthing last tim LOl .. and this time i didt brake anything:P

Hahahaha cool way to remove a freewheel, that picture with the giant scafolding pole hanging out of the garage made me laugh :)

mike W

ihad nearly finished so i put my helmet back on i dont normally wear it when fixin my bike Lol ..would be a bit nobish ..thanks (Y)

thats the same type of crank i put my try all on, was a first generation x lite crank. Did you have trouble getting yours on in the first place?

I also trid a bar abut that length but it didn't work for mine So I used a pneumatic hammer drill type thing.

Yer my was a bitch to get on took me a good two hours at least :( wasn't happy either i was jumping on my crank and it kept going round then it was on i was so happy .. they run pretty loud like an eno but eno's are nice.. lush :P cheers bennyb(y)

Edited by bennyb

kinda f**ked your work bench though lol, Ive never taken one off and dont plan to looks so hard! but Kudos for going to all the effort though lol

thats ok mate ..just always had problems getting them off so wanted to show people a good and safe way off getting it off you no it's work so well :P:P thanks bennyb

When i had to get jonny's freewheel off his crankarm it took a vice and both me and the LBS owner before it would come off. Did come off though... ergo, cheapest method is to find a friend ;)

Haha mine cam off with out and hard force o n the pole ... and i wasn't bashing it or pulling and gettin g out of breath it was soooo easy and smooth easyedt way i have done ever .. im please !!

thanks bennyb

Haha mine cam off with out and hard force o n the pole ... and i wasn't bashing it or pulling and gettin g out of breath it was soooo easy and smooth easyedt way i have done ever .. im please !!

thanks bennyb

Still loads easier to just get a friend to help. Didn't need too much force when we were both going for it, it slowly eased its way off quite smoothly.

I reckon you should just get down to the gym a bit more, you look quite scrawny :P

Still loads easier to just get a friend to help. Didn't need too much force when we were both going for it, it slowly eased its way off quite smoothly.

I reckon you should just get down to the gym a bit more, you look quite scrawny :P

The one you took off probobly wasn't screwed on as much as his was. We both had problems getting them on, almost like they were cross threaded, i'd imagine his threads, like mine are perfect after removing the freewheel, so I really don't know what it was, but those monty cranks and a try all in combination are NOT easy to remove, when I called upon a fried, it was a 16 sytone(at least) farmer who helped me, even with a good 4 ft pole, nothing budged.

They are all differant.

Edited by jake1516

have my own gym thanks for telling me .. bhut i aint scrwny. you been peepin around on my body have you haha u can't even tell you 20 im 16 .. difference ok .. so keep opinions to your self thanks .. kid

bennyb B)

have my own gym thanks for telling me .. bhut i aint scrwny. you been peepin around on my body have you haha u can't even tell you 20 im 16 .. difference ok .. so keep opinions to your self thanks .. kid

bennyb B)

It was a joke, lighten up. Its not like i was lying, skinny arms and protruding shoulder blades ***!!!

canonpictures024.jpg

Very good dude, i no were to bring mine if i ever need it doing!!!

very useful and well informed nice job!

Lol make some money from it .. i wish ... well i thought you had a profile on your zona .:S i can't rememeber andway cheers for the comment mate

bennyb (Y)

i had nearly finished .. so i put it on ready to go out for a ride .. (Y) .. and the topic isn't about the helmet ok

Welcome to the forum, you'll see more people going off topic in any posts you make, as most conversations do in every day life.