Teach Me Maths

NVWOCI WVS

i have my maths exam tomorow and i need to know integration, differetiation, factor theorem and completing the square really urgently...

can anyone who knows these summarise them for me please, i really need this!

i need to be able to remember them all for tomorow, i think im pretty happy with everything else :S

how much dyu know about any of them?

differentiation...

y = 3x² + 2x + 6

thats the equation of the line. times the power by the number in front (3,3,6)

dy/dx = 6x + 2

thats it differentiated. the x disapears on the 2nd one because it becomes x to the power of 0.

this is also the gradient of the line.

integration....

basically the reverse of this, its impossible to tell what the third one is (if there is one) so leave a '+c' at the end.

i think

how much dyu know about any of them?

differentiation...

y = 3x² + 2x + 6

thats the equation of the line. times the power by the number in front (3,3,6)

dy/dx = 6x + 2

thats it differentiated. the x disapears on the 2nd one because it becomes x to the power of 0.

this is also the gradient of the line.

integration....

basically the reverse of this, its impossible to tell what the third one is (if there is one) so leave a '+c' at the end.

i think

ok, thats pretty much what i got so far, need just as much as i can get out of anyone about all of this stuff!

thanks!

by the way, i know i should have learnt this already, just been busy with (paid)work, riding and sailing...i guess i need to put learning higher up my priority list :S

I didn't revise and I got a B on the higher paper so maybe you will have the same luck as me. I have forgotten it all now so I can't help you. To complete the square you have to add on 4-x (x being the amount of lines you have :P).

I didn't revise and I got a B on the higher paper so maybe you will have the same luck as me. I have forgotten it all now so I can't help you. To complete the square you have to add on 4-x (x being the amount of lines you have :P).

They do differentiation and integration at GCSE? I swear they didn't when I was doing them.

I have A-level C4 and D1 soon. Retaking C2 soon, so easy now lol.

Ok integration, general equation hnyere:

picture016jw6.jpg

Basically, don't forget the +C part, as it's usually worth a mark to remember to put it in, and also it's often used later in the section B questions.

You can forget it when the integration is finite though.

General rule that helps me remember - differentiation usually involves multiplying stuff, integration is usually divisiony.

Edited by Shaun H

Core 1 and Core 2 tommorow for the win! Im on a high about doing it already (I have to be hyper to do exams).

Should be good!

I don't know how anyone can be on a high about maths haha. Confidence is good though (Y) I usually make really stupid mistakes when I'm nervous.

Because when you differentiate, all constants, become zero. If when integrating without bounds, you forget the + C, you are forgwtting that there may have been a constant on the equation.

Just make sure , if you are integrating without bounds, add + C, it's an easy mark. If you have bounds, you don't need it anyway.

Flew through core 1....

core 2... opened it up and i couldnt even read, my brain wouldnt go to my hand, let alone my calculator. i just totally f**ked it up didnt have a clue where i was or what i was doing, answered like 2 questions :S

Much respect for people who actually get this stuff, but can anyone actually explain to me what the point is of any of this, I mean what is it useful for?

Nothing against people who learn it, I expect it's interesting in it's own way, but it just seems so pointless to me, like someone has just come up with it for the sake of coming up with it and sounding clever.

On a similar subject, sociology is another subject that annoys me, all it's good for is becoming a sociology teacher, it doesn't apply anywhere in life or work or anything that I can tell. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm not smart enough to get it, but seriously, who has ever used this stuff in context outside of learning it?

Davey