Help Out An Ebay Selling Novice Please...

BONGO

I'm typing out my car for an ebay auction. I'm putting the reserve as 6400, buy it not at 6600. Now the starting figure, i know it can be what i like, but is it the norm to have the staring fee less than the reserve or the same price or what??? I want some bids!

I'm going to be stating what the reserve is by the way so people know where they are up to and it's not a guessing game.

bongo

I'm typing out my car for an ebay auction. I'm putting the reserve as 6400, buy it not at 6600. Now the starting figure, i know it can be what i like, but is it the norm to have the staring fee less than the reserve or the same price or what??? I want some bids!

I'm going to be stating what the reserve is by the way so people know where they are up to and it's not a guessing game.

bongo

If you're putting the reserve at 6400 you may as well put the starting price at £0, you will get some more interest that way. I wouldn't bother specifying what the reserve is though, that would put people off. If people bid up to £5000 and it doesn't sell, at least then you have a ball park figure of what you should really expect for it next time you list.

But i already know it's tough to sell a car like this, and i also know that the figure i want to sell it at is the going rate for this car of this age at this time, so i can't just drop to what's bid this time in a later auction.

I do really want a sale quickly you see. Could i put it a £0 for more views and then once they see it they can read that the reserve is 6400 and then bid that. That way even one bid will guarentee me my money???

Bongo

I do really want a sale quickly you see. Could i put it a £0 for more views and then once they see it they can read that the reserve is 6400 and then bid that. That way even one bid will guarentee me my money???

Bongo

Yep you could do it that way :)

Thought people could obviously still bid lower than the reserve, even though theres not much point.

OK so despite the £6400 reserve, i posteda starting price of 1p for more views. I clearly stated that the reserve was £6400 yet i have 2 bids to 6p . Is this a good sign???! I dunno how ebay works really lol. Do people work ebay like this??? Just putting a daft bid in so they can view it like??

OK so despite the £6400 reserve, i posteda starting price of 1p for more views. I clearly stated that the reserve was £6400 yet i have 2 bids to 6p . Is this a good sign???! I dunno how ebay works really lol. Do people work ebay like this??? Just putting a daft bid in so they can view it like??

Hi John,

As Tom says, it's a good idea to get as many people noticing your auction as possible. Whilst the price is very low this will have the desired effect of catching people's attention and the way most people work is to add it to their list of viewed items. When they go into their "My Ebay" section, then all these viewed items are conveniently listed with the current price next to them. Then it's really easy for them to follow progress as the auction advances. Don't worry if the price stays low until much later. Many will jump in at the last minute, and the more people you've got watching, combined with a finish time when many people are around (rather than in the middle of the night), then the more chance of a frantic bidding war when the price may go higher than what people had pre-decided they would want to pay.

Sorry if I've told you anything you knew already! You've done an excellent job with the advert. It really sells the car. I was starting to get interested myself! I hope it works out well!

Steve

I have found ebay to be pretty random!

tried to sell a friends car, put it on for 7 days with a reserve of 400 (what she wanted) after 7 days the highest bid was £80! so it didnt sell. I then put it on a one day auction and put a reserve of £200.....at the end of the day it was at £480!! very random.

Very nicely done advert Bongo, one thing though: You can see your personalised plate in one of the pics but you don't mention in the text (unless I missed it) what the deal is with the plates?

Best of luck with selling it!

didn't realise you could see it still. I'm keeping the plate mate.

I have put an ammendment at the bottom (Y). thanks for spotting it!

some gimp bmxer i know (not actually a gimp but he pissed me off), has bid 200 quid for a laugh. So where my car was the FIRST impreza when you search, now it's f**king right down the twatting page.

Grrrrrrrrrrr