Experimentation

AdamR28

Looks a little wierd Ads! :P

Weight? How well does it work?

They've been using them in Moto GP for a while, I don't know the advantages they have over steel though. It needs some cut-outs though, get it even lighter. :lol:

I have ALWAYS wanted to try a carbon rotor. Did you get the idea off me or some other basher?

bit brave trying a rear one though? I would have thought a front would have been safer, but at least if it holds up then we know that it will be fine for the front.

Let me know how it holds up!

Doesn't seem to, not yet anyway... lol

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/videos/carbonrotor.avi

Ali: Spoke to a German guy at Koxx Days and he said he tried it but the brake was too good for the front, also I can try both ends as my rear rotor is 190 and front is 180... so can now chop it down a bit more for the front (Y)

Looks a little wierd Ads! :P

Weight? How well does it work?

They've been using them in Moto GP for a while, I don't know the advantages they have over steel though. It needs some cut-outs though, get it even lighter. :lol:

They use them in moto gp as they dont fade at extreme temperatures like a steel disc does, but bear in mind they do also use carbon pads to make them work properly.

Ok so I've had a few minutes riding... the hold is really really good, bite good, noise TERRIBLE (being made worse by riding indoor I guess)!!

It seems to have warped pretty easily which I kinda expected, I wanted 3mm thickness (and could have got it at 4x the price) but made do with 2mm... One strange thing is that if you do a large move involving a lot of brake force, if the brake slips (rare) it seems to instantaneously melt the resin and stick a layer of pad material to the rotor! This comes off very easily though and doesn't affect the brake performance...

All in all, was worth a shot, performance is fine (probably better than steel), maybe needs some ironing out before it's worth using for any period of time.

They use them in moto gp as they dont fade at extreme temperatures like a steel disc does, but bear in mind they do also use carbon pads to make them work properly.

But the construction used in MotoGP and in F1 are completely different to plain sheet carbon fibre weave as Ads has used. They use special long chain carbon and I read that it takes 5 months to take each rotor! With sheet carbon fibre like this I imagine there's a good chance of the sheet delaminating and if not the pads will wear through the fibres and create sharp frayed bits.