Xc

Milford Cubicle

Reet taking up xc and been given a tad over a grand for a bike, wondering what bikes where good around this range? Looked at specialized but there to expensive or to cheap... Found a nice cube ltd race but thats £1050 not sure wether i want to spend all the money on it... Any suggestions guys? Dont mind like if there a previous year bikes which are in a sale :)

billx

I'd build one if I were you, or get one second hand.

For that sort of money you could get a pretty decent full susser.

Not sure if i want to go second hand or not, i want a hardtail as i dont need full sus for any of the trials near me and would rather have a nicer hardtail than a worse full sus, do you reckon building one would get me a better bike than buying a complete at that price? Thanks for the quick reply :)

billx

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/...er_Hi_Bike_2007

Two year old spec (but really good), looks awesome and would also leave you some change to tweak and add accessories.......like a decent pair of gloves!

Cheers for the link, looks mint, how much would the frame size matter? im 6ft and that's only a 16". Obviously i can put the seat up high but would it be a problem the frame being that small?

billx

Cheers for the link, looks mint, how much would the frame size matter? im 6ft and that's only a 16". Obviously i can put the seat up high but would it be a problem the frame being that small?

billx

Sorry dude, didn't notice the sizes!

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/...D_Pro_Bike_2009

You need to have a gander round the site, they have one of the most comprehensive ranges I know of, and as you have seen, they still have the older bikes in, which can be a lot cheaper. The Duster I sent you the first link for....this years model is £1199, so your saving naerly 30% buying the 2007 model. Link above.....I personally really like!

As for frame size, it depends on how much the seat would have to be lifted, and how you prefer to ride. My friend always bought the next size down frame: I think it was so he was farther away from the frame! But he used to have his seat quite low for XC. You really need to sit on a few.

That Pinnacle does look very good for the money. I'd also consider the Boardmans from Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165499

or the maybe focus range from wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Bl...009/5360037560/

As for building one yourself. I've always been under the impression that is costs way more to do this than buy a off the shelf one. Like wise buying one with the intention to upgrade parts straight away is a bad move. put the extra money into a better bike.

the boardmans are good but they are set up by halfords staff (dont get me wrong some staff ARE good but some arent)

the frames themself are a low quality frame hence why the bikes have such a good spec for the price.

the sram XO stuff it is similar to xtr and meant to be for competition riders that use the lightweight stuff and can afford to replace it when it wears which is a lot quicker than the normal xt and x9.

in my opinion go for aa genesis, the geomerty is spot on the parts are good. you can get an alitude 10 for about that money which is a steel chromoly frame.

the genesis and treks come with life time warranty on the frame and crash half price replacements.

this is just my opinion. i work in alpine bikes and sell these type of bikes for a living.

This is defiantly going to be the best spec'd bike for under £1000. Really nice bikes to ride as well!

Pinnacle

+1

pinnacles are a bit under rated, these do ride nice and excellent spec for the money! plus the frames are made by iron horse so nothing bad about that at all...

get that bike and get yourself a pair of specialized comp mtb shoes. perfect! £1060 total.

steve

Found a nice cube ltd race but thats £1050 not sure wether i want to spend all the money on it...

You won't find a better bike.

The Cubes are lovely, I build and sell loads of them every day and there is never a bad one.

Get this for a bit of trivia, the guy who deals with the distribution of Cube in the UK used to manage Steve Peat.

Cube are cool in a sense that they sometime send out amazing kit on low end bikes. IE the other day I had a £500 Attention come through with a set of Mavic Crossride wheels and Stroker Ryde brakes. Simply because that was all they had that fitted in the warehouse !!!

the boardmans are good but they are set up by halfords staff (dont get me wrong some staff ARE good but some arent)

the frames themself are a low quality frame hence why the bikes have such a good spec for the price.

Wronggg, frames are spot on! They are amazing bikes, some quality control issues but halfords will sort that out no problem.

Boardman MTB Pro, DO IT.

And yes, i have properly ridden these bikes, i've taken out the 1000 quid full susser for a right bash over a whole day, at Leith Hill and 2 other hills in Dorking, and i can't fault em at all.

Just get somewhere else to set it up if you're not happy with the setup, it'll be worth spending the 25 or so quid it'll cost to get it set up properly.

boardmans are poor quality frames. we have seen them we have taken them apart litterally. alpine were approached to sell them but refused to because they werent up to quality.

the thing said about pinnacles being made by iron horse and how thats a good thing i would disagree.

iron horse are now bankrupt.

no idea about that.... iron horse makes a good standard is the point im making, whether they're bankrupt or millionaires is another question, quality control is still there... cos otherwise they'll just close their factory down..

ANYWAY but it is a smart looking bike, pinnacle are don. but check out specialized as well? the rockhopper pro is an amazing bike, then you've got a few spare dollar to upgrade and get accessories.

steve

Not sure if i want to go second hand or not, i want a hardtail as i dont need full sus for any of the trials near me and would rather have a nicer hardtail than a worse full sus, do you reckon building one would get me a better bike than buying a complete at that price?

Complete bikes work out a lot cheaper. Regarding whether to go full sus or not, I think it depends on if you have something in mind, and what that is. I bought a Commencal Meta 5.5 two years ago (The 5.5.3 version - I.e. the cheapest one) because I knew the frames were really good. The parts were pretty dire for a bike with an RRP of £1300 - stuff like SRAM Sx5 gearing, non-sealed wheels etc. But the frame was solid and all the bits have since been replaced (and upgraded) leaving me with a totally sweet ride.

On the other hand, if you don't know what you want, I would go for a hardtail because there's less variation in terms of geometry/whatever and you'll get a better spec for your money. I certainly wouldn't go for a full susser for the same of it, but you can get some pretty good squidgers for under a grand if you know what you're looking for.

Don't listen to the suckkas, go for the Cube!

Plus, Boardmans are seen as wank by 90% of the cycle fraternity because there "halfords shit" ?

How much worse would you say the cube ltd pro is compared to the ltd race? im asuming the frames exactly the same and the spec dosent look that different but dont know about some things because never run gears before in my life lol. Gonna go into some local bike shops today and have a look and sit on the bikes they have but think i'l probably end up with a cube or a pinnacle atm. Thanks for all the helpfull replies guys :)

billx

just to add the pinnacle bikes are evans cycles own brand they are nothing to do with ironhorse , the jump frame eg. pinnacle trojan as far as i know was helped by charge !

the guys that design the pinnacle bikes are all good guys and have had many years experience working for companys like trek , even though pinnacle are only in there 3rd year they are a very nice bike and good value for money i have tested alot of there 1st gen bikes and was very surprised by the quality of them then so i know they would of only improved aswell .

here is what i would be looking at http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/o...x?&id=10073

or if you can scrape 80 quid more together http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/o...px?&id=9701

Edited by 2hammered