What Do You Guys Know About Vario Bikes?

PeanuckleJive

Vario, established in the French Alps since the early 90's is primarily known as a constructor of Freeride and Down Hill mountain bikes.

However, a closer look at Vario's history will show a healthy interest in Trials, with one of the best known and most distinctive trials bikes, Vario's legendary Tibo frame, being part of our back-catalogue.

For 2005, Vario are delighted to announce the release of the natural successor to the Tibo, another bike designed with the help of another uncannily talented rider called Tibo.

French rider Tibo Veuillet, recently described as the "Cedric Gracia of Trails" is well known for his showmanship and joie de vivre.

Tibo started working with Vario's engineers over two years ago on the new trials platform, now known as the Styx.

His combination of showman riding style, and competitive abilities (resulting in 5th at World Cup and 12th place at the World Championships in 2004), make him an ideal development athlete.

From Tibo, we were keen to discover what tomorrows trails platform would look like, and we then set about integrating these elements into the Styx.

For the newer generation of rider, looking for a longer reach on the bike, we have made the Styx available in two lengths, 1045 and 1075 MM.

The bottom bracket is a one piece CNC'ed marvel, designed around a 100mm shell width, which offers maximum rigidity and stability.

But the most distinctive and talked about feature, is undoubtedly the "monkey grip" arrangement of tube that make up the "top tube" on the Styx.

This has led to a frame that is both sensibly light, strong and described by Tibo as "springy yet controlled – the frame offers a very confident feeling"

From the first series of prototypes, as seen at The Cycle Show in London last September, came a raft of changes, both to improve the ride characteristics, and to ensure maximum strength.

The process continued through the winter, ultimately resulting in a production frame that Tibo Veuillet and Vario are happy to put our names to.

Information-

Wheelbase: 1045 & 1075 mm

Chainstay Length: 385 mm

Head Angle: 72°

BB Position: +30 mm

Frame Weight (L): 1.950 kg

Edited by Mission Prodigy Trials.

Here are a couple of photos, taken on my iPhone so not the best quality i'm afraid

here she is!

Also, I took rough geo:

Wheelbase- 970mm

Chainstays 360mm

BB rise- 70mm

very rough measurements, Not entirely sure where I'm meant to measure from in the dropout for chainstays and wheelbase, so I just measured from where the centre of the bolt would be if the wheel were all the way into the frame

EDIT:

I totally forgot about the extra nub on the top tube, I always wondered what it was for but never ever found out, I'm guessing some weirdass seat perhaps?

post-25251-126755814064_thumb.jpg

post-25251-126755836987_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeanuckleJive

The Vario Tibo XL with the Ashtonesque seat/mudguard was my dream frame back in the day. Mototrials style for the win!

MAN! I was hoping that's what it was

I want one. I want one now.

and I'm gonna put a playing card on the chainstay so it sounds like a motorbike too :lol:

I've seen a fair few 26" wheel Varios (the older ones), including my own. Didn't realise (until now) that they did a mod version though.

Aye, I once saw a 26" for sale, but just once

Does nobody have any info? How rare/ desirable are these things?

Yeah yours is the Tibo XS mod version (Y).

I'd say it's pretty rare (possibly more so in the UK than France?) but not necessarily very desirable/valuable except to quite a specific person!

I want the seat thingy! Sounds like it'd be awesome!

now, where's a vario owners club when you need one? :rolleyes:

Build it up with similarly aged parts, and then sell it complete maybe.

I have no idea of the age though :(

I still have the red old style HS33 that came with the bike, but one of the levers has cracked round the bleed screw and leaks now.

It had onza muscleman cranks on it which might be right for the times I guess

Once I get my new wheels for my monty I'll be sticking these back onto the vario and then it's practically the same as when I bought it

• 4 weeks later...