Magura Brakes

L05tB0y

Hi, ive got a set of Magura brakes for a bike build im doing. Question is can you get the lever body seperate, the part the lever attaches to i dont know the name for it.

I snaped the clamp part trying to get it on my bars. :(

Is their a way i can get the foam type grips off the bars without dammaging them as i cant get the levers over them.(hence why i snaped the front one)

Thanks Dave

well if i've understood this right, http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/rim_brake/magura_hs33_lever_2005/c557p329.html

thats the lever body and lever blade without the pipe and cylinders... i've never used foam grips so can't help you there :( although if they're not glued on and the foam is flexible, then i'm sure they should just roll off, but i could be wrong

If you can get something like methylated spirits under the grips, then they should slide right off.

I don't think that it should do anything to your handlebars if they're painted and once they're off the meths will evaporate pretty quickly leaving you with a handlebar end ready for a lever. :)

Apparently foam grips are hard to get back on,but if you do the meths trick again then they should slide on and the alcohol will dry over time.

If you can get something like methylated spirits under the grips, then they should slide right off.

I don't think that it should do anything to your handlebars if they're painted and once they're off the meths will evaporate pretty quickly leaving you with a handlebar end ready for a lever. :)

Apparently foam grips are hard to get back on,but if you do the meths trick again then they should slide on and the alcohol will dry over time.

Deodorant does the same, but wont damage your paint :)

• Like 1

ive found that the best way to get foam grips off.. (ive done it hundreds of times)

get a 2mm allen key and run some fairy liquid down it, jiggle it into the end of the grip and just push it round (may take a little effort) then the grip should just slide off.

when its off.. wash out the inside with a toothbrush and hot water to get the soap off.. then your good to put it back on again.

you probably wont reach all the way into the grip with the allen key but a bit of twisting will pop it off.

• 2 weeks later...

BY FAR the easiest way to remove grips (foam or rubber) is with an air line (obviously not the best way if you do not have an air line!) Lift the edge of the grip up slightly point the nose of the air line under the grip give it a little blast and hay presto she's off! 10 Second job, no mess! (Y)

Edited by stephenmx50

I use spray paint to stick my grips on so unfortunately airlines won't do the trick. I go for the old spoke with the end filed smooth slid under the grip and the remaining spoke bend at 90 degrees, a bit of meths and turn the spoke, works well unless your grips are really stuck down then the only option is to cut them off.

but yeah, spray paint (or lacquer) for the best grunt.