Trail roadtrip 11-18th August - Gloucestershire/Wales?

Luke Rainbird

My mate binned it on Saturday afternoon and split his elbow open so not going on Wednesday; Thursday after 5 is definitely a goer for me :)

edit: I'll give bigman a yell see if he can join the party - to the bigcave!

Edited by forteh

Bigman can't make it, something about building a new bike up!

What time can people do on Thursday? I can probably get there for 5 at a push. Even if we start off later there should be plenty of light.

Edited by forteh

We can work around you really - after 5 is good as it gives us a bit of time to ride somewhere in Wales before heading up. Shame about Biggy, be good to see him really. Hopefully Rich will be able to man up a bit and get himself out too.

I'll have Sophie with me so probably won't be flat out around the trails, if anybody wants to bring other halves etc please do :)

We can work around you really - after 5 is good as it gives us a bit of time to ride somewhere in Wales before heading up. Shame about Biggy, be good to see him really. Hopefully Rich will be able to man up a bit and get himself out too.

I'll have Sophie with me so probably won't be flat out around the trails, if anybody wants to bring other halves etc please do :)

Well if we aim to meet at 5ish at birches valley and head on out from there :)

My wife is dangerous on a bike, she borrowed my intense to go on a beginners off road course up the chase, within twenty minutes she had hit a tree stump, supermanned the bars and broken her scaphoid; due to a rediculous pain threshold she rode on it for a further three hours!

Unfortunately at the same time she damaged some nerves from her c8 vertebrae and no longer has any feeling or strength in the last two fingers of her left hand - 18 months of nerve tests and consultants at derby hand hospital and no joy :(

Edited by forteh

Aye, can't really go far wrong, depends on which way you want to head there; M5>Sutton>Lichfield>Rugely>Chase or M5>M6>Cannock>Chase :)

Have a quick google before you leave and see which is faster with traffic, J11 of the M6 for Cannock can be a bit of a nightmare with the M6 toll, M54 and A5 traffic all converging at once.

Bikes mini serviced, I've got a get out of work early card, roof rails on car. I should be at birches around 5-5.15 depending on traffic around Derby, I'll text you Ed if I'm struggling. Anyone bothering with lights? I've only got some lights for being seen, not to see. I think we should have a good few hours of light thou.

How was Afan Luke?

We have no lights so shall just be hoping for moon if it gets late!

Afan was really cool actually - we did a lap of Blue Scar before following it with the main red loop. The latter was potentially a little rockier than was ideal for Soph on a hardtail and being so new to it but she got through the whole thing with no issues at all. Would highly recommend :)

Dug the bike out of the cupboard this morning and the rear tyre is pancaked, need to clean up the bead and reseat the tubeless seal, shouldn't take long and will hopefully be there for 5:15 :)

Lights? We don't need no stinking lights!

Sunset is at 8:30 so should have plenty of time, can start with dog and depending on time/pace/confidence peel off to do some sections of monkey. Would it be wise to start from marquis drive? Then we will start 2/3rds round dog, if we then divert to monkey and run short on light we can shortcut back along fireroads to marquis drive without any issues with visibility.

See if this works?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//52.7379326,-1.9966758/@52.738602,-1.9980081,16z/data=!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e0