Rotor Bolts Coming loose

niconj

It's the second time that happens to me. Hope Pro 4 SSP hub and Magura Storm/Shimano SM-RT76 180mm rotors. I took new bolts for both rotors and Loctite 241. Tightened them up with 6Nm and they still came loose. Only on the rear though. Any suggestions?

45 minutes ago, BJ. said:

241 is only a medium strength loctight. Try some 242. I've even used loctight superglue in the past with success. 

Can you remove the bolts without any problem? 

Just had a look. I even used 243.

Edited by niconj

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Try a little more torque, 8Nm should be safe.

I just hope that I don't destroy my Hope. :D

I've just mounted the bolts at 8Nm. The wheel is now sitting on my radiator to have the best result as possible.

Edited by niconj

4 hours ago, JamieC said:

Shimano make little figure of eight shaped things with lips on that stop disc bolts coming loose. Each one does two bolts, so three per wheel. You could try those 

They are already mounted. Don't work. 

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Work for me with dry bolts.

I used Loctite 243 on a 180mm rotor and they came loose twice. I bolted them up to 8Nm now. The Hope Adapter seems to be a better solution than the washers between the frame and the adaptor. 

2 hours ago, AndyT said:

Go for 22 Nm they don't come out.

Somebody is going to try it I'm sure. The internet is always right.

I bought six M5x13 titanium bolts, the above mentioned Hope spacer and Loctite 2701. This will work I'm sure.

s-l500.jpg prod3288_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

10470600_max.jpg

Edited by niconj

is this not a case of you overthinking things horribly?
i always use a standard (small) allen key, some grease and get the screws as tight as i can using my fingers. worked every time, never had to think about it for a second. (i do check after the first few rides, though)

(in-before-smarypants-edit: it's a torx key, but same size as a small allen)

Edited by jeff costello

18 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

is this not a case of you overthinking things horribly?
i always use a standard (small) allen key, some grease and get the screws as tight as i can using my fingers. worked every time, never had to think about it for a second. (i do check after the first few rides, though)

(in-before-smarypants-edit: it's a torx key, but same size as a small allen)

I wouldn't normally put too much thought into it either but this happened twice already and I'm kinda annoyed by it. I have never had such a problem before and having used two different sets of new Shimano steel bolts I come to wonder where the problem really lies. It's not that all bolts come loose but I think it's only the same two (holes). Could it be that my Hope hub as some issues? With my Bonz Disc hub I have never had these kind of problems.

edit: I just saw that I mixed up two topics. The hope adaptor I mentioned before is for my Saint caliper, that is too far out. :D

Edited by niconj

On 2/9/2017 at 10:24 AM, niconj said:

I wouldn't normally put too much thought into it either but this happened twice already and I'm kinda annoyed by it. I have never had such a problem before and having used two different sets of new Shimano steel bolts I come to wonder where the problem really lies. It's not that all bolts come loose but I think it's only the same two (holes). Could it be that my Hope hub as some issues? With my Bonz Disc hub I have never had these kind of problems.

edit: I just saw that I mixed up two topics. The hope adaptor I mentioned before is for my Saint caliper, that is too far out. :D

If its the same two coming loose there's a possibility of faulty threads in the  hub. Worth checking out.