Tpa

Ben John-Hynes

Sounds stupid but I got so pissed off with mine breaking all the time I just made sure it was solid then took off the lever and compacted aluminium foil in the bottom of the lever body so it is as if TPA is full all the time. Not ideal, but works.

Phil

hey there

was wondering how to fix the tpa on my 04 magura!

as they seem to be made of cheese and brake ALL of the time!

sorrry if repost!

thanks in advance

ben

x

Ill show you next time we ride matey, iv taken a few of the old ones apart!

You mean you want to fix it, with a bolt instead of having the red tpa knob thing?

So how do you break a TPA ?

Is it something to do with not setting up the brake properly and using the TPA to take up the gap ?

Jarrod

I think the threads just mess up in the small red ball on the new style and there for when you pull the lever it just rips though the threads and tpa dont work.

I think the threads just mess up in the small red ball on the new style and there for when you pull the lever it just rips though the threads and tpa dont work.

Thats what happened to mine, the red thing has just stopped moving and by the look of it the thread has totally gone

So how do you break a TPA ?

Is it something to do with not setting up the brake properly and using the TPA to take up the gap ?

Jarrod

People break em as they use them to help set the brake up! They are only meant to be used if you suddenly have a lot of pad wear on a ride, not to help you set the brake up!

This is why they break!

I do agree they arent made strong enough, but everyone uses them when they arent surposed to !

I bodged mine this way:

Get a small, M5 bolt (mudguard bolt) and cut a slot in the head so the bit of the lever will fit into it.. So it replaces the 'fork' shaped broken bit.

Then just use the bolt instead of your broken bit, and you're sorted!

No killed bolts coming out the top, doesn't look bodged, and you get to keep the red bit!

• 4 weeks later...

Tam. I'm not a twat.....well some of the ideas i have are and sometimes me too but shh. You could have just given it to me and i would have put on it but no Tam has to do things his way. ha. anyway back to the point i could have made a replacement on too...Just because i happen to annoy you and broke your bike doesn't mean you know how to fix it better than i do...

gussie

there is much love in our friendship well from me anyway

Tam. I'm not a twat.....well some of the ideas i have are and sometimes me too but shh. You could have just given it to me and i would have put on it but no Tam has to do things his way. ha. anyway back to the point i could have made a replacement on too...Just because i happen to annoy you and broke your bike doesn't mean you know how to fix it better than i do...

gussie

there is much love in our friendship well from me anyway

Its not really much of a problem, its just you were unlucky in the way it snapped. An extra 2 mm down the shaft and i would have been able to get the rest of the shaft out. Could have drilled it but its too much hassle.

I could never understand how magura have never improved on the design on the TPA. All the years that its been out, all of those years of product feedback and they never changed it on the first lever. Now on the new lever there are still some problems. I do like where they placed the TPA though, that makes sense to me.

I could never understand how magura have never improved on the design on the TPA. All the years that its been out, all of those years of product feedback and they never changed it on the first lever. Now on the new lever there are still some problems. I do like where they placed the TPA though, that makes sense to me.

amen to that!

the tpa's oin the new levers are still pretty unreliable

AND ass far as i know

you can't bodge them

which makes them worse!

:(