Whats The Deal With Deng?

edmondraptor

Well I dont know a massive amount about different trials brands, coming more from mountain biking, but as far as I gather there's a guy called Deng Qiang who owns loads of different companies. The companies make frames and components that range from looking similar, to identical to one another other. Well, the frames are mostly different, but if you look down tartys' rear hub section, theres the exact same hub with Adamant, echo, Czar, Gu, and Zoo! written on it. Same with headsets and other stuff. Why cant he just stick with one brand to make stuff under? I understand why someone would want a Echo hub to go with their shiny new Echo frame or something, but why so many different bike companies? Not that theres anything wrong with it, just something I was wondering about.

Well I dont know a massive amount about different trials brands, coming more from mountain biking, but as far as I gather there's a guy called Deng Qiang who owns loads of different companies. The companies make frames and components that range from looking similar, to identical to one another other. Well, the frames are mostly different, but if you look down tartys' rear hub section, theres the exact same hub with Adamant, echo, Czar, Gu, and Zoo! written on it. Same with headsets and other stuff. Why cant he just stick with one brand to make stuff under? I understand why someone would want a Echo hub to go with their shiny new Echo frame or something, but why so many different bike companies? Not that theres anything wrong with it, just something I was wondering about.

so you can have matching parts with your echo, zoo, adamant, czar or gu frame?

Zoo!, Adamant, Echo, GU and Czar are amongst the biggest selling brands in the trials world, they're all (nearly) the same thing, just with different names on, so design and manufacture costs will be greatly reduced across the ranges and they will all be very profitable. Having one person owning about half the market, i'm sure that he's doing well for himself. The more brands you have, the greater your chance of selling the stuff!

I think he's just greedy. ^_^

Validation?

I always assumed it was because he could bring out a completely new frame design without damaging the company's reputation if it was rubbish or it broke. E.g. You have Echo as an established reputable brand, and rather than risk that with an untested frame, release it under a different brand (E.g. Gu).

But in reality it's easier to think of them as all one company. I think the finishing kit is mostly so it can match the frame as people have said, but there are some parallels - E.g. Zoos are marketed as more of a TGS street brand and Zoo stems are supposedly made for street. I thought that the Hi BB frames had hi-rise stems to match too, but I can't find any examples.

Validation?

Yeah, why not.

EDIT: Haha, as I was replying, someone's already done it.

The big reason is because it will make him more money, it wont cost him much at all to have the other businesses because it will all be done from the same place and made in the same factory all he has to do is make different stickers ect, If he has 5 brands as aposed to 1 he has 5 times the chance of someone buying his product. Also it just wouldnt be right say echo having about 8 different frames to choose from. Its alot better from a business point of view i should think to have different brands. But yeah a few parts are just the same but cnc'ed different but i think it does mean that people can choose a design they prefer more.

PC world. Dixsons. Comet.

All the same thing.

It kind of floods the market with brands. We know them as 'Deng' products so we've kinda grouped them all togther in our heads. But new riders wont see the difference, and that'll incrase his sales.

Also, you can always tell a gu from an echo, and a zoo from a czar, even if they were stickerless.

Well if he makes more than one brand of trials product then theres more for the consumer to choose from. And what he did with Neill Tunnicliffe, he sponsered him by ZOO! so that lost of people are attratced to ZOO! so they buy them. Then he chages his sponser to Adamant, so that people still like ZOO! but now many are now buying Adamant. Hes been doing his market research, so he makes 2, 3 maybe 4 times then amount of profit he would have down just making one trials make :) .

Its simply been done to boost his profits.

People have a variety of parts to buy from him so more money is spent on Deng products as theres more to buy (Y)

Hope that helped :)

Cheers Hendyx

Edited by hendy

Well if he makes more than one brand of trials product then theres more for the consumer to choose from. And what he did with Neill Tunnicliffe, he sponsered him by ZOO! so that lost of people are attratced to ZOO! so they buy them. Then he chages his sponser to Adamant, so that people still like ZOO! but now many are now buying Adamant. Hes been doing his market research, so he makes 2, 3 maybe 4 times then amount of profit he would have down just making one trials make :) .

Its simply been done to boost his profits.

People have a variety of parts to buy from him so more money is spent on Deng products as theres more to buy (Y)

Hope that helped :)

Cheers Hendyx

Lmao wtf?

Its all money related, along with everything else in the world.

As a matter of fact, very few parts are identical. Mainly headsets, brake clamps, levers, rockrings and... well that's about it. Boosters have different stiffness and weight, some cranks are more rigid, some are lighter. Most bars have different geometry as well. A year ago you could also buy Adamant, Czar etc. hubs, but those have been discontinued. Frankly speaking, stocking all these items is a nightmare. As for the reason for all this, there are people who will want to change their headset and brake clamps after getting a new frame. It's all just a matter of maximizing income.

PC world. Dixsons. Comet.
It's Currys, not Comet ;)

They all used to be separate companies though, they just got bought out so it's not quite the same thing. Plus all the Dixons shops have been rebranded as Currys:Digital so they're actually converging into fewer brand names not making new ones.

To be honest I'm still puzzled by why Deng has so many companies. I don't completely accept any of the reasons in this thread, there must be something more. Maybe something to do with tax in China?

It's Currys, not Comet ;)

They all used to be separate companies though, they just got bought out so it's not quite the same thing. Plus all the Dixons shops have been rebranded as Currys:Digital so they're actually converging into fewer brand names not making new ones.

To be honest I'm still puzzled by why Deng has so many companies. I don't completely accept any of the reasons in this thread, there must be something more. Maybe something to do with tax in China?

Now I've seen it all.

deng is owned by a holding company owned by panpa plc. its just what plc's do. the buy up all the competition and move it all to the same factory. (lower overhead=more profit) and if you own all the competition. there isnt any competition.

A person is owned by a company?

deng is owned by a holding company owned by panpa plc. its just what plc's do. the buy up all the competition and move it all to the same factory. (lower overhead=more profit) and if you own all the competition. there isnt any competition.

So all the other brands were originally set up by someone other than Deng? I never heard of them until they were Deng.

i reacon that sounds ride apart from deng aint owned by some one, and its so you can look like a right fancy pants when you have all of your say "zoo!" bits on your bike.