Tyketrial @ Shipley Glen

TykeTrial

Due to heavy snow overnight the TykeTrial event on 21st February had to be cancelled.

This has now been rearranged to be held on Sunday 21st March.

Entry form can be downloaded from here, or you can enter and pay on-line. Payments from those who had entered for February will be carried forward, but we do need a new entry form from you.

Don't forget - TykeTrial is a club and you do need to be a club member. And don't forget, as a club we do not accept entries on the day so get your entry off now to save disappointment!

I have sent my membership off, but not recived it back yet, so i couldnt write my membership number down on the entry form,

is this orite or do i need to send another entryform when i get my membership number ?

sam :D

Hi Sam

Don't worry, we had the membership cards to hand out in February but will do it next trial. For anyone who was a member last year, it's the same number! If you weren't, don't worry this time, I'll fill that bit in for you provided you have re-joined.

is my entry going to be passed over from the previous round? or was everybody given refunds.

Didn't you get the newsletter?

• As most people had made payment for the event and for their membership on one single cheque, these cheques will be processed.
  • Every rider MUST submit an entry form for the new event. Your entry form will be enclosed with this newsletter, or you can complete the on-line entry form on the Events page of www.biketrialuk.co.uk .
  • If you had paid for Shipley, your money will be carried forward to the 21st March event.
  • If you cannot attend the 21st March event, please drop an email to info@biketrialuk.co.uk or phone 07850 505298 and your money will be refunded.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weather indeed, shame I couldn't make the most of it :( I was denied entry due to the lack of brakes on my bike.

I can see it is a bit controversial, but I feel I have a level of control that would stop me from running into anyone, mainly because I would be going at walking pace at most times.

Granted it may be a black spot with insurance, maybe I could have been told sooner though? that way I could have brought my comp bike and still rode the trial, or cancel my entry sooner and not drive 60miles.

Ohwell, I had a good day at Lee Mill quarry on the pump track instead,, I hope the trial went smoothly and no-one got run over. :rolleyes:

That's what I didn't understand. It hasn't been a secret that Ali was planning on entering brakeless, and when he entered over a month ago it was apparently fine then, and we were both led to believe it was fine right up until about half ten today when - having just been made to fill in all the relevant forms and sign in, Ali then got told that he wouldn't be allowed to ride it on his Inspired. I have no idea why it couldn't have been mentioned sooner, or even why a slightly better reason could've been made up to explain it. Before, Ali was told there was a disclaimer he could fill in to make things alright with everyone, but then on the day that didn't materialise and the safety of members of the public was the apparent issue. Surely it's up to the rider and observer to make sure there's no-one in section when the rider's going through it? At past trials I've been to if any spectator's been in the section they're usually quite vocally told they need to move and it's not been an issue. Bearing in mind Ali was planning on riding blue route too I don't see it as being a massive safety issue either? I'm not at all being disrespectful to blue route riders, but the sections are obviously more 'contained' than a yellow route (for example) section, so I genuinely don't see how Ali would be able to somehow get out of control, then somehow hit a member of the public. As a red route rider said when he saw Ali riding this morning "He's got more control riding these rocks without brakes than I have with brakes!" Getting hurt isn't really that much fun, and knowing Ali I know he wouldn't have entered that trial if he thought what he was doing was dangerous at all.

Anyway, I'm sure that whole saga could run on and on but at the end of the day the decision's been made. The fact it was decided one way or another is fair enough, and I don't really have a problem with it, but what is annoying was the back-tracking on the original decision, and leaving it until Ali's actually signed up and registered to ride it on the day to tell him he's not allowed. As he said above, he could've brought his 'proper' bike to ride instead and taken part, and we could've both saved ourselves a good few hours of nice, sunny riding conditions by going riding somewhere else rather than faffing about getting to and from Shipley for absolutely no reason at all.

Hope everyone who got to take part enjoyed it though, the sections did look pretty fun.

Nice weather indeed, shame I couldn't make the most of it :( I was denied entry due to the lack of brakes on my bike.

I can see it is a bit controversial, but I feel I have a level of control that would stop me from running into anyone, mainly because I would be going at walking pace at most times.

Granted it may be a black spot with insurance, maybe I could have been told sooner though? that way I could have brought my comp bike and still rode the trial, or cancel my entry sooner and not drive 60miles.

Ohwell, I had a good day at Lee Mill quarry on the pump track instead,, I hope the trial went smoothly and no-one got run over. :rolleyes:

I did wonder where you were. I even said to my mate "I bet the nutter is doing it with no brakes"

I really enjoyed myself today, quite pleased with myself on some sections :) Had a great day for my first proppa trial.

It was my dad that was going around taking pictures, he will once he gets chance upload them to his website which is here... http://rjhague.jalbum.net/ I'll let you know when they are up. They will be downsized to fit on the site, any high res pics you want contact me and i can get him to send them over for you.

Unlucky ali! I bet i was windy at lee quarry? it was pretty bad at mine!

Couldnt you have bolted a brake on your bike somehow? then at least it was there. No one's forcing you to use it, so just dont. Perhaps you could have been prepared for this just in case??

Also, gutted I couldnt ride today, the weather was probably great and I'm sure it was an awesome comp :( Hopefully back for the first round of the british championships

Edited by walker

I'm not going to respond to this post, other than to ask WHO told Ali it was alright to ride the comp with no brakes?

It was certainly not me as event secretary, and certainly not the clerk of course.

When Ali said in February he wanted to ride the blue route and I questioned it, he simply said "I'm riding a different bike". He did not say he was intending to ride brakeless. Only after that event was cancelled I heard a rumour that he had intended riding brakeless and the Committee discussed the situation.

Ali did not even enter the event today, simply turned up. Had he pre-entered as he should have done, then he would have been contacted to discuss the roumour we had heard about the brake situation.

I am sure that you would not find any responsible organiser of a trials event who would knowingly allow any rider without brakes to take part.

Apart from this, a brilliant day, thanks everyone and well done!

Apologies for not pre entering the trial (won't happen again) I don't check my emails nearly as often as I should. I had it in my head that the entries were just carried over. sorry.

Just turning up and asking for a ride on the day is cheeky in itself

Yep, did that deliberately just to annoy everyone and make myself feel silly.

Anyway, I'm sure that whole saga could run on and on but at the end of the day the decision's been made. The fact it was decided one way or another is fair enough, and I don't really have a problem with it...

That says it really, I don't think that you can argue...

I know you love any excuse to have yet another little bitch or a dig at anything involving us Andrew, but at least give it an even cursory glance, eh?

Im sure you did just forget Ali, but it got to a point where too many people were turning up expecting a ride, so the organisers quite rightly got sick of this. Hence why the rules were changed and this went out on numerous newsletters.

Anyway, won't say anymore, I don't want to stir.

Thanks

Out of interest, if the origional event had taken place and I had turned up brakeless, what would have happened? I thought there may be some issues with me riding brakeless which is why I didn't mention it in the hope that a decision would be made there and then without a month to talk it over. no doubt you could have said no then, but perhaps I had a fleeting chance.