Problem With Saracen 2.six

Iffy

I bought my son a Saracen 2.six for Xmas. About a week after getting it, when he pedalled hard, the rear wheel seemed to start jamming. He found out that the problem was that the chain was 'kinking' and jamming between the crank and the frame. The chain had worn a hole about 1/4'' wide into the frame.

Saracen are saying the bike has received excessive abuse, and want to charge £120 for a new frame.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Ian

Did this happen gradualy or in one hit did it put a hole into it?

If it happened gradualy then i would agree with saracen as it would have been given excessive abuse altho i dont think its right for them to change you that much for a new frame when in the past they have gievn new frames to people that have cracked there old ones

Sounds like a bit of chain suck to me! Um i think i'd have to agree with Saracen as to create such a damage to the frame you'd have to get the chain stuck a lot of times.

But i think £120 for a frame is a bit out of order, i think thats what they retail for :S you should try and get a discounted frame which they should do and they certainly have done in the past.

oh my god YOU WILL NOT BELIVE THIS

:

:

:

firstly way back in march i got a saracen team issue and that happened to mine about 3 months after, but i also snapped the frame. they sent me A BRAND NEW 2.SIX H AND FORKS FREE.

:

:

:

about three months later the 2.sixH frame STARTED CRACKING :o so i got onto them and they have now sent me a team urban frame and forks, the new 2006 frame.

:

:

:

3rd time lucky hey???

by the way i got all this stuff for free and i still have the old stuff AND they didnt even want to see proof of it, how weird is that??? i also got a stem with each of the new frames and a new headset with them too. lololol and a mech hanger. but my rear wheel on my saracen is f**ked up big time it clicks f**king load and the cassette wobbles seperately from the wheel i think the freehub body has snapped, again might i add!!!!!!! and i have also screwed one of the rear shimano hone hubs that came with the team issue which shimano ALSO REPLACED FOR FREE. :lol:lol

so tell them to stick that fee up their ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Clawz114@aol.com if you want to talk lol

to answer the questions the frames come with the bb and cranks attached and i think the problem is the front cog is too near the frame...i shit myself riding my team urban, not becuase the rear wheel wobbles 3-4 inches side to side but that i have snapped 2 of their frames. and yes it does happen gradually but you dont notice it until you look underneath and notice a rather large CRACK STARING AT YOU :angry:

tell saracen to give you a new frame or refund otherwise you will take it further :P

il back you up if you make a complaint that they are absolutely shit lol

one of my friends is kind of having the same problem. His front chain wheel is cutting into the frame and it has already got halfway through. It is not excessive abuse as he is a complete beginner.

mattyboy, If your friend bought it as a complete bike then take it back and get it sorted, if he has upgraded/modified anything on it then of course it's excessive abuse, for the fact that he's not done anything about it, it could probably be argued that it is excessive abuse even if it was bought as a complete bike as he has just ignored the problem.

Iffy, do you have any pictures of the damage to help us visualize the damage.

Right i think ive crasped the basics of this problem :huh: :

chain comes off the chainring and

gets stuck between the chainring/crank and the seat-tube (tube in the middle,bb up to seat place, that separates the two triangles on a frame) :o

a suggestion for fixing this problem:

what about tightening your chains so that there isnt enough slack for the chain to come off ?

(suggestion would only work with single speed users) :mellow:

or is it that the problem is that the chain is getting stuck/jammed between the hub and the dropout when shifting down to your last gear and then gradually wearing a hole in the frame there ? :huh:

Edited by jersey rider

Thanks for all the replies.

I do have some photos of the damage, I will post them when I get into work.

The bike was ordered from an internet company (Bikes Express Ltd) and the frame/crank/gearing/rearwheel were pre-built, I added the frontwheel and handlebars, so the problems are associated with the pre-built components and nothing I did.

It appears that the problem is not uncommon, and the quality of the Saracen components leave something to be desired. The charge for components came from Bikes Express Ltd, who said that they had been in contact with Saracen and they had agreed that the bike had suffered excessive abuse. Saracen have read my email, but I have not any direct response from them. I will follow up direct with Saracen, from your posts they seem to be a reasonable company, and the charge may very well be coming from the internet company.

I cannot tell whether the damage was caused in one go, or gradually. The drive has jammed a number of times, so it is difficult to tell. All this happened within a week of building the bike.

Thanks again

Ian

THIS IS A MANAFACTURING PROBLEM- its happened to many people i worked and cycles UK and 5 out of 6 bikes came back with this problem, you need to buy a new chainring as as you ride it the teeth wear dont and the chain goes in crooked. Still arguing with Saracen going to e-mail again tonight they need to know that this is a widespead manafacturing problem and all there doing is trying to cover it up

on mine i tryed to run it with a 113mm bottom bracket and the chainwheel on the front was digging in the frame so i got a wider bb. problem solved. although mine is anything but standard. if the front cog was cutting into the frame and it was ridden after you noticed it was then it is excessive abuse, but you could also complain that its a manufacturing defect because they didnt build it with a wide enough bb.

also whats with all this 'the frames are shit' etc. ive got a team issue frame which is the same but has 4 bolt mounts and for the price it cost id never complain about it, it rides amazingly well (Y)

There was a lad near me who had the same problem. The hub didn't spin freely enough and when he pedalled backwards the freehub didn't turn fast enough to take up the chain slack, so when he was pedalling it was alrigh but if he started to coast along the chain went slack and the got wrapped up and jammed into his frame the next time he went to pedal.

The area that the chain cuts into is very thin and i can't imagine it would have taken long for it to wear through. But i do think that saracen are right in saying its excessive abuse. I mean, its instantly clear that the chain is stuck if you can't pedal forwards so you instinctively jump off the bike. However the lad near me just tried to force it out by pedalling harder.. a couple of times doing this and there was a nice big hole that i could fit the end of my finger into.

Saracen said the same thing to him, that he'd have to buy a new frame at retail price. I don't know if you have much of a chance of getting a free replacement because it sounds quite a lot like your son has done the same thing and just tried to force it back out. (for the sake of argumentative forum members this is my personal opinion and i am only trying to help the guy out so don't start anything silly)

I would say that your best bet would definately be to ring saracen up and ask them, because it is more than likely that the shop you bought it from are trying to make some more money out of it. It was the same when i bought my jump bike a while ago i rang the manufacturer and they sent me more than enough free parts.

If, in the unlikely event that saracen tell you the same and that you'll have to buy a new frame, i would recommend having a look on here first for a second hand frame. You should be able to pick up a better quality frame for around the same price that won't be in too bad a condition. I would also check the rear hub and see if it could be this thats the problem you may want to either loosen it up by riding it or spraying some gt85 around the freehub or buying a better rear hub.

Hope you get it sorted

Ring them up, they are very helpful (Y) I snapped a saracen mad frame and forks, sent it back to them and they sent sent out a new frame and forks and payed for the postage.

Infact i cracked 2 frames from them and got new ones :P

They are very helpful on the phone :) So giv em a ring :turned:

hmm, sounds like its a hub and chain tension related problem. It may be that the chain hasn't been shortened enough and that the rear mech is outside of its optimum tension window, resulting in slackening and then jamming problems. Iffy, is the problem more promenant when the chain is in the inside gear at the back? if so any chance of a couple of pics of the chain on the largest and smallest rings at the back to assess the chain tightness.

If it is a result of a long chain, then it certainly is a warranty issue, and to be honest as the problem has occured during normal use (which for a trials bike includes trials funnily enough) then it should be covered by the warranty too.

If it's a quality problem with the rear hub (i.e its too "sticky") then its a shimano issue too, which saracen could persue to reclaim their costs.