May Go 24" *not Another One I Hear You Say*

Rob_P

Hey hey guys and gals,

THINKING of going 24", Just from some of the latest vids/ pics etc it just looks so much more fun.

Absolutly in love with John shrews bike, but more to the point he just does everything on it, taps sidehops but at the same time jumps, spinny type stuff which is what I want to do. At the mo I ride a 1080 BT 5 which is a very nice length for me, im 6ft and mostly love riding street stuff. Natty dont really ride at all apart from some comps which is not very often so I thought why not have a change.

I used to ride alot of bmx and chose trials over it to get better but now I seem to have come to a hult, i've got to a stage (as im sure everyone does) where I just don't feel like im getting any better really.

Has anyone else made this decision to go from a 26" to 24"? Was it a good or bad decision?

I also used to have an Echo ES4R which was a street beast :) but then when I went to my BT just found taps and gaps so much easier. My BT now feels nice but, just......average....I like a bike with a bit of character etc.

So has anyone got any suggestions on what sorta thing may suit me best?

I cant really afford a custom lesson though as there like £400 right?

How much do you think I could get for my BT 5 frame too?

Im going to need wheels too, what are the best 24" rims, forks?

Thanks alot for any advice

Rob (Y):)

I got my first ashton et (over 2 years ago :o ) i felt instantly at home on it and my actually trials riding has improved loads on it (especially recently) - everyone that goes on are suprised at how nice it is on the back wheel. I ride natural on mine too and the only thing that i don't like are wheelswaps/pigeons/replacing its the main move i struggle with, short length and tight headangle just don't help!

I would the only new bike i can reckonmend to you is the onza zoot (as curtis and leeson are too expensive) but i reckon you will get on with it the low frame will be good for sidehops and i think it has a fairly slack headangle - which will be good for taps. :) maybe put a fairly streety bar stem setup too.

rims - onza ronnie/reggie willbe good, just the same as 26" version. sun ryhno lite xl , tioga dh and odyessy hazard lites are all great too

mike

Yeah me and old boothers were looking at the Zoot!

£550 for whole bike is a bargin but naa, not whole bike.

Anyone know if it's gonna be available in frame only, christ that would be ideal!

But isnt it going to feel real short, 1040 wb with + 35mm bb rise!! :blink:

Cheers guys! (Y)

I reckon saving up for a Leeson would be worth it Rob. You can get the frame just how you like it (you could even get custom stickers like me.....) plus you have the backup and lifetime warrante from Clive. For your kind of riding Leeson's definately seem to be what most 24" riders are going for, but saying that, Matt S's Inspired does look lovely. It's your call mate, but I'd certainly say 24" would suit you perfectly and Leeson are the people to help you get the best out of it.

Rich

CLICK

Yeh, same price but comes with forks, but there fly guys :S shame there poo, like lite guys but atleast it may add a little length I suppose.

hummm

ok, so Matt if your alive whats up with the inspired??

Thanks

Rob (Y)

Edit: Just rang them and without forks it's £249 :rolleyes:

Edited by Rob P

well it is really, in the fact its a complete bike fully built. all the other options have been custom build havent they.

James

i was quoting from the frame and forks page though :turned::huh: and most trials bikes are custom builds though anyhow only koxx and onza really sell (decent) full builds, most trials companies don't. It just that it sounds like it was there idea :)

maybe i am being pedantic :P

Actually the first trials specific 24" anywhere was Rich Johnsons Saracen X-Tort 24" from about four years back..... :P

Rich

didn't he just run 24" in a 26" frame with 3" tires and double discs :rolleyes:

Actually the first trials specific 24" anywhere was Rich Johnsons Saracen X-Tort 24" from about four years back..... :P

Rich

But the X-tort is hardly a trials-specific frame ;) We could go on for hours about this.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I moved from 26 to 24 and I love it. I don't really see how people couldn't like it, but then again I have no idea how 24s are for "big" stuff. Yeah you probably can tap 50", but it's probably safe to say that it won't be as easy as on a 26. I think I switched because I was a bit bored of 26 and just trying to go bigger. So I got a 24 and I love it, never going back :D When I got my 1040 Leeson, I could do everything I could on my Koxx, in fact it was roughly the same length as the Koxx anyway. But it was just more fun. When that got nicked I got a shorter (1025) Ashton which is noticibly shorter and not as good for gaps etc. However it is more fun to spin about on, and overall I prefer it. I don't think you can go wrong with a long-ish Leeson (Y)

I'm very interested in when that Inspired will be out though.

I reckon saving up for a Leeson would be worth it Rob. You can get the frame just how you like it (you could even get custom stickers like me.....) plus you have the backup and lifetime warrante from Clive. For your kind of riding Leeson's definately seem to be what most 24" riders are going for, but saying that, Matt S's Inspired does look lovely. It's your call mate, but I'd certainly say 24" would suit you perfectly and Leeson are the people to help you get the best out of it.

Rich

(Y) true true true. I'm having a 26inch oldskool frame built up soon, Just to ride intill clive makes me a leeson609 for me, Because i miss 26inch bikes.

You can still do the same things on a 26inch as you wud do on a 24inch, its just abit lighter and flickyer .

Here's an exclusive sneak peak at a new street tough 24" frame for use with those good old comfortable seats many of us have forgotten about! This is the first one in the country (already spoken for) and more coming in a couple of weeks.

More info to be revealed at the end of this week on my website.

Steve

Could probably get more info from the URL on the seat-stay, or from one of Mike's trillion posts about Mikebikes on the various trials forums around the net :P

I challenge you! :) Seriously though, I've been working with Mike on this frame for the past few weeks....It's something special. It's easy to joke about Mike's previous posts on TF etc, but bear in mind that his English is better than our Polish! So easy to not take someone seriously if they're not a native English speaker.

We'll let the frames do the talking for themselves in time

Wouldn't say you were in my bad books at all :) Always thought you were a pretty stand-up guy :)

And just to reply to your edit which wasn't there before :P, I wasn't making fun of his posts or anything, I just meant there'd been quite a lot of them about with info in about other frames and stuff. Not taking the piss or anything (Y)