Disc Grinding

T_PRO

think about it this way - discs need to be bed in. once they have done so, the disc is smoother than when it was just after mounting it onto your bike. grinding a disc would reduce its braking power substantially. DONT do it :)

I see what you mean, if i grind it the brake would have to bed it's self in again making it smooth really quickly. I won't do it. Cheers

Don't be so stupid. the disc is only bout a mm thick so as soon as you put a grider to it the disc will go straight through. (N)

No...... a disk can b grinded as long as it is a fine grind, you know think of the width of your sidewall and how many different grinds that takes. but not a good idea some disks can stopwith a mm lever blade pull so you would be better of just buying a new disk if you are in despiration

By that comment i take it that the discs are powerfull then?

yeah they are good. they are temperamental, so you have to play about with them a while to get them working nicely. but yeah they are really snappy due to the smaller piston.

just look at the name, it is a trials specific brake by hope so its bound to be good. haha

a good investment mate (Y)

Dave

Sorry lad but I have to disagree

Anything that causes more friction between the pads and the disc means greater stopping power. The old way of getting hopes to work (e2's, c2's and the like) was to throw the rotor in a dirty puddle or cover it with coke and let it dry, simply because it causes more friction. Ride through a muddy puddle and stick your brakes on - what happens, you stop a lot quicker.

Brake discs being smooth is something transfered from the motor industry. Brake discs must be smooth in order to have a consistant braking effect and prevent vibration/judder. When you hit the brakes at 70mph the last thing you want is an uneven braking surface - something similar to warped discs (which in itself is a myth but I'll not bore you with that). Braking from 70mph is not something your python/echo/zoo/onza is going to experience on a regular basis and therefore having a consistent (smooth) contact surface is not paramount.

The bedding in period is there to take the surface resin off the pads and apply a (fine) coating of pad to the disc, not make the disc smoother. Think about it - a new brakes bedding in period won't be enough to file away imperfections on a disc.

To summerise, yes, you could grind your disc and its certainly not a stupid idea. Plus a disc is resiliant enough to allow a light/medium grind although one or two is probably its limit. But if it fails its going to be nasty. I'd probably get some better pads before I start grinding anything.

It doesnt work. Fact. The disc brake relys on having two smooth surfaces.

Friction is heat, the heat comes from two surfaces rubbing. You are correct when you say something that increases the friction will improove the braking, but in this case it doesnot. By grinding the disc you are reducing the surface area which the pad can use to slow you down. Trust me, it will not work, unless you use soft pads which can compress into all the little ridges created by doing the grind. And since these do not exist...

:lol: Sorry, still not sure I agree

There are two types of friction acting between disc and pad

a)Abrasive friction - brakes with this charateristic have a high wear rate and operate at a low('ish) temp and would be the result of a 'rough surface'

b)Adherent friction - where some of the pad material diffuses across the interface between the pad and the disc and forms a very thin, uniform layer of pad material on the surface of the disc. As the friction surfaces of both disc and pad then comprise basically the same material, material can now cross the interface in both directions and the bonds break and reform. More common on a smooth surface where the depositing of brake pad material is consistant, thus preventing judder when the brake is applied

or in otherwords

a) for low speed (cooler) applications with a high wear rate

b ) for high speed applications with a longer wear rate

In terms of a bicycle disc brake we're referring to both of the above, especially as theres no such thing as pure adherent or pure abrasive friction. Ideally you want one greater than the other depending on the application - in this case trials where application a) (low speed and concequently a low temperature) would be more beneficial. In DH, high friction would result in high temps and therefore a pad that worked at higher temps would be more suitable

As for the surface area issue, would this not also be the case on a grind on a rim brake? And if not, the same pressure over a smaller surface are would result in a better lock?

(Its at this point that I tell you I'm an IT consultant and you tell me you are a Brake technician working for Brembo or something and I'll go into a corner and face the wall)

I am a brake technicion, and I work for Brembo :P

Its to do with the pad being soft enough to "mould" into the grinds you have made. If you have a pad which can do this (like a rim brake) it will be loads better because the total braking surface is increased. But on a disc (with hard pads) they will not "mould" into the grinds so the total braking surface is decreased, therefore decreasing the overall firction, and reducing the braking power.

Also there is a good reason why every car disc is smooth. ;)

Edited by derf

and I'm an IT consultant... :lol:

'Also there is a good reason why every car disc is smooth'

Yes there is - to allow uniform braking surface at speed to a) prevent judder and b )reduce friction by a certain degree to prevent fade. This isn't a consideration on a trials bike - if it were then water bleeds wouldn't work on maggies because of the heat

Its getting harded and harded to explain this now! :P I know someone that has tried it, and it didnt work.

Magura used to make an aluminuim disc rotor for the lousie, which was rough to touch. They where still rubbish as disc brakes, even with extra soft Jagwire pads.

It doesn't work with normal disc pads just except it :P I've tried it friends have forum users have and it doesn't!!! work

But if you have rubber paz like the plazmatic ones for the marta and louise then you could grind the disc and have an increase in power because the braking compound would be soft enough to mould into the grid unlike the harder compound or standered disc pads

End of :)