Headset Tool Bodge

Walleee

Will this work?

Flat circular plate welded onto a threaded rod, with another plate which can be wound up and down the threads.....

This is to fit headset cup into a new frame btw incase anyone's interested.

anything im missing or is it simply not a good idea?

A stepped bush with a parallel section to fit the bore of the cup and a flat face to push on the top edge is what ive got, taper ones will do at a pinch, you'll just have to watch it more carefully and be aware that it could bend bits on light headsets (like cane creek C2's)

You couldn't get a pic up by any chance? Im getting a new frame on friday and need to make this tomorrow hopefully.

Im going to be using it to fit an FSA pig headset.....

IPB Image

See, I was thinking that if I simply used two flat faces, that would ensure that they both went in parallel to each other....

I wish I had of thought of this beforehand and could have actually put a bit of time into it...... :ermm:

£37.99 plus an unknown amount of postage cost will land you this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx...odID=5300003485

It's turned my least favourite workshop task into the most enjoyable. So quick and easy to do with no risk of frame damage. Absolute peace of mind that you aren't going to flare the headtube, and you don't even have to concentrate, unlike using a hammer and a plate when you only know it's gone awry when it's too late.

Steve

or just use it loose, with a nut behind it, one on each end of the threaded rod :)

Thats what i'd go for. My mates dad made one back in the day (about 6 years ago) just like that and it worked fine.

I prefer the block of wood and a hammer technique though, has anyone actually ever ruined a frame from using a block of wood and a hammer to fit a headset?

IPB Image

Thats what mine looks like. It is slightly overkill :P

Excellent, thats just what I had in mind, but being in an electronics class with a lecturer over me all the time I couldn't do such a piece of art lol!

£37.99 plus an unknown amount of postage cost will land you this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx...odID=5300003485

It's turned my least favourite workshop task into the most enjoyable. So quick and easy to do with no risk of frame damage. Absolute peace of mind that you aren't going to flare the headtube, and you don't even have to concentrate, unlike using a hammer and a plate when you only know it's gone awry when it's too late.

Steve

That looks sweet, but money and time constraints mean that it won't be useful this time, but i'll definately look into it if I ever need to do this again.

Thats what i'd go for. My mates dad made one back in the day (about 6 years ago) just like that and it worked fine.

I prefer the block of wood and a hammer technique though, has anyone actually ever ruined a frame from using a block of wood and a hammer to fit a headset?

Yeh, i was wondering what are the chances of actually screwing up using a hammer and wood, how tight a fit is it anyway? I know it's an interferance fit, but how much interferance??

A hammer and wood is fine, i've never messed up a frame like that. Now i use a rod with threads on, two massive washers, and bolts to tighten the washers to the cups as said above. All stuff i've found in the garage and it works for me. I find with a hammer and wood it's ok but hard to get it started.

Max

Just thought i'd add this, The nylon bit's (white) arn't even nescessary but I just made them as a precaution incase it was a hard job getting the cups in.

I was rather terrified when I started, as I had never done it, nor had I ever seen it done before so I hadn't a clue as to what to expect, absolute piece of piss using this.......

[attachmentid=3262]

or you could just use a headset press :-

the "redesigned" version that some of the other users drew would be good, however gettin the precision when making it may prove difficult, as long as the two "cups" are parallel to each other, the only thing you will have to worry about is getting leverage on the top "cup" to turn it down the thread, but that should be all you need to know, as most of the people have the right info (Y)

Edited by hardcore_raver