Behaviour At Competitions

F-Stop Junkie

Having finally picked up the new MBUK, I was surprised to read the candour of Martyn Ashton's column regarding the behaviour of some riders at competition.

Ok, so this is nothing new, but I certainly agree with Martyn that the problem exists, and in my opinion is worse now than it has been for many, many years.

I can only remember one occasion where someone was asked to tone down their language by an official. Once, in 11 years. Is this because it's often dealt with behind closed doors? Because a lot of people won't confront someone who is swearing, acting aggressively and being loud?

What amazes me is that trials competitions are full of young children who are out to ride their bikes for the day, yet some people do not take this into consideration. If you're just having a ride with your mates, then do what you want, but at an event, is it really so tough to keep it clean?

There have always been groups who have been loud, often groups where someone has just learnt to drive and they're out the parental gaze for the first time, but it really is getting bad, and I can imagine some parents not wishing their little ones to be subjected to this on a regular basis. This is not good for the sport.

I'm not suggesting that swearing and crude innuendo (and sometimes not so innuendo) should be a hangable offence, and have swarms of profanity police roving the sections, but just that riders have some consideration for those around them, young and old, and keep things civil and polite.

I do strongly believe though that no aggression, swearing or arguing towards observers should be tolerated under any circumstances. Without observers, we would not have a sport, and organisers have enough problems finding volunteers to fulfil this role without them being subject to abuse or intimidation. If there is a problem with a judgement, then it should be raised with the organisers, not argued with the observer at the section.

I'm sure other people wil disagree, and say they're just having fun or mucking about. They'll say "What next? Should we hold trials in silence?" All I'm saying is that we should all have some consideration for others at events, and help promote a good atmosphere which encourages friends and parents to attend more, rather than put them off coming again.

I totally aggree mate. I dont participate in pushbike trials events but compete twice a weekend on my gas gas and there have been a few occasions where either myself or another person has had to ask someone to watch their language because of small children etc. being there. Saying that though, i believe there is no need for strong language to be used any of the time, It doesnt make you look kool or big, does it? :ermm: anyway, i totally aggree mate :)

No you have to agree - and knowone can justufy it - i mean i dont ride comp - theres lots of banter on street rides but usually fun an upbeat - but we dont ride with anyone under 14 so its not too much of an issue but you have to be considerate of those arround you

i dont think you can get told off for saying f**k under your breath when youve done wrong but i think it should have a penalty for using it in other circumstances. In football you get a red card for swearing at officials - so maybe you get send home no refund and none of your results take?i dont know

swaring yer i geuss thats a bad thing, i do it my self, but why cant we be loud?

comps are shit cos there far to serious, thell have people tip toeing around soon.

See? This is the problem. It's the 'why can't I do what I want?' mentality. You want to swear in front of small kids, and joke about f**king him/her/it at the top of your voice? Fine.

But do you accept that some people find swearing and lewd language offensive? Are you happy to know that what you do offends other people at an event which is supposed to be a good family day out? This is what it comes down to, being considerate of those around you so everyone can enjoy the competitions that a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into.

lol...I wonder who this is pointed at

This is not a veiled reference to one person or group of people. Over the past few years I've seen a number of people do it.

Name and shame + Positive peer group pressure?

This is my point. It's not a question of "I think this person is ruining trials", quite the opposite. It's about everyone being considerate and thinking about what they do and how it affects other people. It's not just people swearing and shouting, it's people who put on loud music after a comp blaring out their car full of questionable lyrics, it's about everyone getting on, and everyone having a good day.

Are you happy to know that what you do offends other people at an event which is supposed to be a good family day out?

Chris when has it ever been a good family day out :-

i'm a bit p'd off cus the last 2 british rounds have been slagged off. i go and observe eve though i don't take a ider with me, i love it, always have and always will and will continue to do so. i personally have been there when 2 people used what i consider to be offensive language and there was women present. on both occasions i spoke to the riders, the said sorry and i've not had or seen any problems on my sections since.

my concern is that people are questioning martins comments because it is so vague and could refere to anyone who is in the top flight. it's a shame that this has been brought to the public through the only mainstream meadia that trials gets. personally i think the artical should never have been written. take it up with the individuals concerned!!!!!!! don't write about where people can't comment.

how many people read mbuk? shed load, how many are on here? very few!!!!! my opinion? not a good article. :angry:

familys go to football games there full of loud people shouting and swaring at the top of there voice, trials shud be like that.

fun :D

ill loose a few peoples respect now, but i dont care what comps are like, i dont really think about setting an example, i ride my bike for fun, if children want to copy me let them do so

It's not as bad as people make out yeah people can get frustrated but there hasen't been a case of a rider swearing at an observer this year :S

I think if a rider falls off and has a quick curse against themselfs through frustration thats fine, was talking to the dad of a brit rider last night and he came up with the good point that swearing happens in every sport (eg Football were any half wit who can lip read can see the foul language some players use)

I think we should certainly keep on top of it and punish those that break the rules but so far this season I personally haven't seen or heard of an event that needs such attention.

It's not as bad as people make out yeah people can get frustrated but there hasen't been a case of a rider swearing at an observer this year :S

I think if a rider falls off and has a quick curse against themselfs through frustration thats fine, was talking to the dad of a brit rider last night and he came up with the good point that swearing happens in every sport (eg Football were any half wit who can lip read can see the foul language some players use)

I think we should certainly keep on top of it and punish those that break the rules but so far this season I personally haven't seen or heard of an event that needs such attention.

guess ashton dont agree

familys go to football games there full of loud people shouting and swaring at the top of there voice, trials shud be like that.

fun :D

ill loose a few peoples respect now, but i dont care what comps are like, i dont really think about setting an example, i ride my bike for fun, if children want to copy me let them do so

if you don't care what comps are like don't talk about them!

not caring about setting an example proves your immature

Edited by rugbyman

To be honest, I found the YMSA comps I've done were really good fun without being a loud-mouth twat (read: typical football supporter :P)? I found it fun just from meeting new riders, being challenged by the sections and just being there, pretty much. Didn't have to be ridiculously loud or anything. Everyone seemd to get on really fine, everyone took the piss in a light-hearted way if someone f**ked up a section, and there was just a really positive atmosphere, without shouting and swearing. I'm guessing it's different at the nationals then?

how many people read mbuk? shed load, how many are on here? very few!!!!! my opinion? not a good article. :angry:

Who else could write a column which forces people in high places in trials to look at this and see how they can combat it, if they think they should. That will provoke more talk and action than any post on here could.

To be honest, I found the YMSA comps I've done were really good fun without being a loud-mouth twat (read: typical football supporter :P)? I found it fun just from meeting new riders, being challenged by the sections and just being there, pretty much. Didn't have to be ridiculously loud or anything. Everyone seemd to get on really fine, everyone took the piss in a light-hearted way if someone f**ked up a section, and there was just a really positive atmosphere, without shouting and swearing. I'm guessing it's different at the nationals then?

are you sure mark?

thats extreamly true, i am immature, i also have lots of fun being that.

Can you see how immature actions could affect other people around you? How your immature having fun at a campsite might affect other people in nearby tents who just want a good night's sleep? How it could put organisers and other riders off future competitions making that central element of the sport in decline?

This is not aimed at you, just wondering what your thoughts are.