Wireless Internet

CurtisRider

Righty, i currently run my internet in my room, on a lead, into a normal wired broadband modem, however, i want to be able to run the internet in my barn on the farm which is about 100 meters (approx) away from the house...

so basically i want to know, is there a wireless router thing that will go that far? i cant afford to get a separate line hooked up in there, then pay extra rental and running a giant wire across there would be plain silly (and difficult). if i were to use a normal house wireless router, could the signal be boosted? (theres a building approx 40metres away so it could plug in there)

i don't think wireless internet (via a transmitter) is available here so that kinda buggers me as that would be perfect :(

any help would be much appreciated :)

Don't bother - I just got a USB wireless receiver at the wekend and it's giving me nothing but grief.

f**king thing!!! It's a Belkin too so should be good, it hardly ever connects and has to have the WEP key entered almost everytime!!!

ARRRGHHH

(Sorry to spoil the thread dude)

Oh and no, you'd not get that distance - it would need to be cabled somehow, though 100m of cable may lose you a fair bit of signal!

Plugging one of these into your normal router via a cat 5e (network patch cable) should manage to give you enough range on it to work in the barn as its estimated to have a max range between 100 and 120 metres.

Alternatively, replacing your current router with this one should do the job too.

There are similar models from other manufacturers, but i'd say netgear are by far the best quality routers, never had a problem with any of the 4 i've installed and check up on. Literally just plug 'em in, type in your settings and its all set.

Alternatively, if your into little projects... give this a go first?

My netgear router's being a bit funny. After a year of being on constantly, it's starting to do funny things. The wireless isn't as reliable as it used to be, and the networking also fails occasionally.

When electromagnetic waves, such as those used by a wireless router (to communicate) hit something metal, the signal travels down the metal much easier than it does through air. If you ran a length of metal in between the router and the other pc, the signal might be carried just far enough for the devices to be able to communicate. In fact thinking about it, a long piece of metal could be a wire.

• 1 month later...

I think your probably better off emailing what you put here to a specialized website and see what they have to say.

Our bt home hub bearly makes it to my bedroom 4 walls away.

Like fatpants said, i heard so long as the router is in line of sight, you'd be able to conect to it no problemo, but that would be quite restrictive.

Righty, i currently run my internet in my room, on a lead, into a normal wired broadband modem, however, i want to be able to run the internet in my barn on the farm which is about 100 meters (approx) away from the house...

so basically i want to know, is there a wireless router thing that will go that far? i cant afford to get a separate line hooked up in there, then pay extra rental and running a giant wire across there would be plain silly (and difficult). if i were to use a normal house wireless router, could the signal be boosted? (theres a building approx 40metres away so it could plug in there)

i don't think wireless internet (via a transmitter) is available here so that kinda buggers me as that would be perfect :(

any help would be much appreciated :)

I have my wireless network running up 3 floors.

It is unfortunately a Bekin :(

Anyway... It wont connect via the laptops built in wireless crappy thing.

so i bought a Belkin Wireless Gaming thing and it decided to connect :S

Maybe you could try this because it has seemed to boost my connection.

Please note: I dont have a clue about wireless networks :)

My netgear router's being a bit funny. After a year of being on constantly, it's starting to do funny things. The wireless isn't as reliable as it used to be, and the networking also fails occasionally.

Try updating its firmware tomm. Mine used to crash daily until i upgraded it.