Getting Into A Car

RobinJI

Right, bought my polo on saterday. Didn't realise the boot locks if you close it without the keys in it. So ofcorse, halfway through fitting some replacement speakers I closed to boot, then realised the fecking keys were still in it.

So basicaly, anyone know how to break into a 1988 VW polo? I've tryed the good old coathanger/wire thing, cant really do it that well as theres not much space, any other tricks?

It's kinda urgent, I live in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood, and its parked of the street with audio goodies galor and its keys on clear show. So anyone... pleasssee.

(oh, and the local locksmiths in minehead for the day.)

Oh, and to add insult to injury, if anything does happen to it I'm fooked, as the insurance hasn't come through yet, so id be down alot of money :(

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Try harder with the coat hanger thing? I have seen it done and it does work... Guess it depends on the car model though, not sure about an old Polo. You could always smash the window yourself, though that isn't very helpful. Or cover the car up so no-one can see the keys on show.

But its pissing it down, so the interior would get wrecked, and polos dont really have small windows, the rear ones are massive, and the front ones are, well, front ones. I'm gunna go try the coathanger thing a bit more, but its really not working very well, I can get it down by the lock, but it flattens the end out as you push it through the seal, so you cant actualy hook it around the button.

does the tennis ball thing work?

cut a tennis ball in half and drill a hole in it, then put it over the keyhole and smack it.

Don't cut it in half IIRC, just drill a hole in it, but it's bollocks and you apparently need remote locking.

Erm, you could try make a pick for it, it's a b*****d to do but if you can stay there for an hour fiddling about with it, it might be worth it.

Basically, you need a similar thing to tweesers but with an angled off end, so two bits go in either side of the entry to the lock and you put tension on it, then the pick is basically a wavy pattern on both sides, needs to be about 1cm tall and you just put it in and give it a good wiggle. Tension shouldn't be too much, as it will stop the pins from going in nicely, just have it so it's just turning the barrel and experiment!

http://www.devonlocks.com/lock-picking/warded-locks.htm

Have a look at auto jigglers on there and try make something that looks like that, just a quick bit of filing will do.

Edited by Fat Pants

have you got armoured door lock plates? if not, its pretty easy to get in with a screwdriver, can damage the door though. The armoured plates can cover the damage, and prevent people doing it in future.

Edited by nmt_oli

Hmm.. the coathanger really isnt working, the shape of the door just doenst work with it.

Fatpants, the auto jigglers is the one picture that wont load on that site!! grr.... - Pictures loaded now and I'm kidna doubtful as to weather I'd be able to use them

I'm getting pissed off with it now. What kind of money would I be looking at to call out a locksmith?

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Hmm.. the coathanger really isnt working, the shape of the door just doenst work with it.

Fatpants, the auto jigglers is the one picture that wont load on that site!! grr.... - Pictures loaded now and I'm kidna doubtful as to weather I'd be able to use them

I'm getting pissed off with it now. What kind of money would I be looking at to call out a locksmith?

£20 minimum - that's what it cost me to get into my house when I was locked out. Not sure if it's the same for cars though. Worth a phone call?

have you got armoured door lock plates? if not, its pretty easy to get in with a screwdriver, can damage the door though. The armoured plates can cover the damage, and prevent people doing it in future.

Does it have a boto plinth like the mk2 golf? if so, unscrew the plinth, and see if you can pull the boot lock out and use the linkage to open the boot.

Its got the locks in the handle, like in mk2 golfs, dont have a clue if its armoured or not.:

DSCF2565.jpg

I don't mind too much if I damage the door, I've got a load of paint and filler for tackling the bubble rust on Wednesday anyway.

Doesn't really have a boot plinth, cant remember what golf ones were like, but not the same as this anyway.

over £100 i've heard off people in te past.

I really would just knock the small triangle window in on the door. You could even just remove it without smashing it probably. I've done it with my seat ibiza back in the day.

Hmm. well a locksmiths a no then, as I just checked my bank and I've got 32 quid in there. I'm tempted to see if I can get the triangular window out without damaging it.

Olli, how would I get in with a screwdriver then?

Cool, was gunna suggest that. The less of the Internet knows about breaking into my car the better as far as I'm concerned.

pmed, heres a pic for reference.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/nmt_...nt=DSC01336.jpg shows my audi handle attahed, bit the latch is unmodified. ignore the yellow linkage, thats for the audi handle.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=breaking+...a+car&hl=en

All the links to this are blocked from my work! There's got to be a way to do it without breaking glass, but I guess you should impose a time limit to look into it, before going and smashing the small window in the front door. You could decretely block it up with something whilst you get sorted a replacement.

I locked the keys in my Laguna once along with my son! He pressed the central locking button when the keys were in the ignition. The rear window was down by about 1 inch and I was able to pull the top of the glass to create a large enough gap for Callum to pass me the keys. I had a rock in my hand ready to carefully smash a window, but fortunately wee Callum understood what I wanted him to pass me!

Steve

Just bend your front door, or the door near to where the keys are on veiw.

Get a long screwdriver/cro bar and prize the top of the door open. Get your fingers in and pull the top of the door down.

Bend it enough to get your arm in, but dont over bend it as it will probably smash your window.

Its easy to bend it back aswell, it might leave some crease marks, but you can easily touch then up with a bit of paint. (Y)

Steve

Just bend your front door, or the door near to where the keys are on veiw.

Get a long screwdriver/cro bar and prize the top of the door open. Get your fingers in and pull the top of the door down.

Bend it enough to get your arm in, but dont over bend it as it will probably smash your window.

Its easy to bend it back aswell, it might leave some crease marks, but you can easily touch then up with a bit of paint. (Y)

Steve

Well the keys are on the boot floor :S

Sunroof if you've got one?

Possibly a weak point in the cars security?

Got a sunroof, but its a solid metal sliding one, no way in hell I'm getting in there.

God damn it the germans are good, if this was a fiesta I'd have been in hours ago!

never seen a polos door pins(i.e the bit u pull up/push down to lock the car from the inside). so this may or may not be an option, but its my method of choice, got a little inflatable bag at work, like a hand pump thing, slides between the door and the chassis, u pump the handpump a few times, till the bag expands, and flexes the door a little bit, i then use a bit of welding wire, which ill run to a point on a bench grinder,and bend it over to form a hook, then either hook it under a edge on the door pin, or slide it down the side of the pin into the doorcard and lift the pin on the edge where it attaches to the metal.

would say its useless, as you dont have a little door jimmy bag, but, it may be worth a go with an old Heavy duty innertube, and a track pump, just use a screwdriver to flex the door the couple of extra mill to get the tube in the shut

I've used tent pegs before. Just jammed em up between the window and rubber seal at the top and wiggled it a bit then got the hooked bit over the window. Then it's just a matter of pulling the window down, gotta be careful not to sash the window though. Possibly only works on older cars havent tried it on anything newish but your Polo may be alright.

never seen a polos door pins(i.e the bit u pull up/push down to lock the car from the inside). so this may or may not be an option, but its my method of choice, got a little inflatable bag at work, like a hand pump thing, slides between the door and the chassis, u pump the handpump a few times, till the bag expands, and flexes the door a little bit, i then use a bit of welding wire, which ill run to a point on a bench grinder,and bend it over to form a hook, then either hook it under a edge on the door pin, or slide it down the side of the pin into the doorcard and lift the pin on the edge where it attaches to the metal.

would say its useless, as you dont have a little door jimmy bag, but, it may be worth a go with an old Heavy duty innertube, and a track pump, just use a screwdriver to flex the door the couple of extra mill to get the tube in the shut

This is exactly how the RAC unlocked my Fiesta Mk4 a few years ago when my keys were locked inside, pulling the door handle from the inside with some wire after using an inflatable bladder (Just remembered they inserted some plastc wedges too - door stops?). You can no doubt buy these inflatable beasties somewhere (won't inner tubes just inflate outside the pinched area) and they have the advantage of being much gentler on the car door than jamming something with sharp edges in there.

Can anyone find one to buy online? Could be worth keeping one for the odd day when I lock my keys in again, or it could be the spring board for a life for crime!

Steve

second from the bottom here

theres one

another, if they ship to uk???, is a lot cheaper

yea, the bloke who i nicked this off has some nylon wedges to insert in there, but ive never used them, i just used the bag, and on the 2 cars i got into using the bag(alfa and a clio) it was like 30 seconds and i was in. can see why id use the nylon blocks if i was putting me fingers in there though