Pro's And Con's To Hs And Dd?

Tylerlovesalex

Call me strange but i learnt to ride on a hs bike like most members on here, i got used to the squeal of the rear brake which i dont know kind of reasured me when i was riding,i was also used to being able to drop the bike willey niley if it come to it and not have to worry about that much damage.

i did not find this when i rode a DD bike, it was to wuiet for my liking and although the bikes i rode had Mono M4's, mono trials ect i didnt think they gave as much bite as 33's. they were also pretty dellicate i found, i could not side hop to that side as it bend discs and i was constantly replacing them.

To be frank i didnt like any of the double disc equiped bikes i rode/owned i didnt like at all but i suppose like everything is is personal prefferance!

i must agree there, if you want to be smooth go double disc! I rember riding with a lad that Chai knows, i think his name was Scott or Tom and he was riding a double disc monty and he was as smooth as you like! but i like others have said there is some thing about it which doesnt appeal to every one!

i think it suits competition riders more due to thier reliability in wet conditions ect

i dont really like the feel of a rear disc

doesnt feel solid

Anyone saying that rear discs are rubbish hasn't tried a well set up rear disc (Y)

Most monty's I've ridden have a stupidly strong brake. The only brake better than a 160mm monty hope is my 203 BB7 B) stop a raging rhino during its period, seriously strong + bitey

Rear discs rule on the back. Only thing I dont like about them is hydraulics are a bit too expensive to buy/fix/replace than a BB7 which gives just as much power when set up right.

Anyone saying that rear discs are rubbish hasn't tried a well set up rear disc (Y)

Just out of interest, how do you set up a disc badly?

Unless you're like lubing the disc or using the wrong pads, I don't really see how you can go wrong?!

I guess I used 'well set up' loosely...

Things like faced mounts, wheel build with a disc in mind (extra cross, little tighter, plain instead of butted spokes), well sized rotor (200 on stock), decent disc mount (at least +20 on stock), no flexy adaptors, good bleed, both pads hitting at same time, hose chopped to optimum length, good cable if a cable brake, straight rotor, very clean rotor/pads, correctly bedded in... I know that all these should always be done anyway, but a surprising amount of disc brakes I ride aren't set up well and it makes them perform poorly or just feel lousy at the lever.

Compared with the extra tweaks you need to make a Magura work up to scratch it really isn't that much different.

I guess I used 'well set up' loosely...

Things like faced mounts, wheel build with a disc in mind (extra cross, little tighter, plain instead of butted spokes), well sized rotor (200 on stock), decent disc mount (at least +20 on stock), no flexy adaptors, good bleed, both pads hitting at same time, hose chopped to optimum length, good cable if a cable brake, straight rotor, very clean rotor/pads, correctly bedded in... I know that all these should always be done anyway, but a surprising amount of disc brakes I ride aren't set up well and it makes them perform poorly or just feel lousy at the lever.

I'm in bed with Adam on this one.

Metaphorically speaking ;) I've ridden rear discs since 1999 and never had an accident that involved my brake slipping through. I love the feel and I know I can rely on them.