Competitions

Nick Garland

Does anyone know if they are still enforcing the working 6 gears rule on stock bikes?

I am going to be riding my first competition in like 2 years on sunday and currently only have single speed on my bike, do you think they will really care as I am only doing blue, seeing as I do not ride much natural.

Its for essex if anyone rides their comps.

Does anyone know if they are still enforcing the working 6 gears rule on stock bikes?

I am going to be riding my first competition in like 2 years on sunday and currently only have single speed on my bike, do you think they will really care as I am only doing blue, seeing as I do not ride much natural.

Its for essex if anyone rides their comps.

Planning abit ahead? But I think they got rid of the rule just don't hold me to it.

No you don't need gears for any competitions in the UK anymore.

Fancy clarifying this matter for us?? I don't know how you can possibly make such a statement, how do you know I havnt set up comps which do require them??? anyway that's another issue

The website linked in your signature says the following in the 'Rules page' "METHOD OF MARKING Will be BIKETRIAL (BIU RULES) " there is NOTHING further on that page regarding the 6 gear rule.

So, assuming those comps are held under BIU rules, then it's safe to assume that if we look at the BIU rules, we should find (according to what you have said,) that there is no longer a requirement for 6 working gears. so, I go to the following page http://biketrials.com/comp/BIU/index.shtml and read the following:

'26" Biketrial bike characteristics

1) Wheel size: 26".

2) Derailleur: One as a minimum. (at the rear).

3) Speeds: Six as a minimum. (must be in good working order).

4) Bike composition materials: The materials that the bike can be constructed from is unlimited.

5) Dangerous bike: Any bikes considered to be dangerous by the Event Director will not be admitted to competition.

7) Tires: The tread width and size will be unrestricted.

8) Frame and fork: In the Beginner and Expert categories, they must be made by a recognized brand, where the model has produced at least 50 u. The Master riders will be allowed to use prototypes.'

Now, im not trying to be awkwad here, but please set this straight, you say it's not a requirement, but the 'official websites' seem to say otherwise.

I know you have 'something' do to with the organisation of those comps, even if it's only a connection through family, so im a little suprised.......

Why would you make a gears rule?

I mean surely the guy with one gear is at a disadvantage as he has less options?

I mean, the people with gears can stay in one if they wish, or use others - the guy without cannot - so surely it's up to him if he wishes to run just one?

What do I know :S

I mean surely the guy with one gear is at a disadvantage as he has less options?

I mean, the people with gears can stay in one if they wish, or use others - the guy without cannot - so surely it's up to him if he wishes to run just one?

I very much doubt riders change gears during comps, it would be interesting to know if they do :) Always thought the rule was there do differentiate the two categories and emphasize that stock bikes are, well, stock bikes.

Fancy clarifying this matter for us?? I don't know how you can possibly make such a statement, how do you know I havnt set up comps which do require them??? anyway that's another issue

The website linked in your signature says the following in the 'Rules page' "METHOD OF MARKING Will be BIKETRIAL (BIU RULES) " there is NOTHING further on that page regarding the 6 gear rule.

So, assuming those comps are held under BIU rules, then it's safe to assume that if we look at the BIU rules, we should find (according to what you have said,) that there is no longer a requirement for 6 working gears. so, I go to the following page http://biketrials.com/comp/BIU/index.shtml and read the following:

2) Derailleur: One as a minimum. (at the rear).

3) Speeds: Six as a minimum. (must be in good working order).

4) Bike composition materials: The materials that the bike can be constructed from is unlimited.

5) Dangerous bike: Any bikes considered to be dangerous by the Event Director will not be admitted to competition.

8) Frame and fork: In the Beginner and Expert categories, they must be made by a recognized brand, where the model has produced at least 50 u. The Master riders will be allowed to use prototypes.'

Now, im not trying to be awkwad here, but please set this straight, you say it's not a requirement, but the 'official websites' seem to say otherwise.

I know you have 'something' do to with the organisation of those comps, even if it's only a connection through family, so im a little suprised.......

Well the both the British and National championships don't state that you need gears. I know this as I ride in both of them and i'm heavily involved in the organisation of the British Championship. As for other club trials in the UK none of them request the use of gears. The website may be out of date? I know it's on the entry forms.

Can I be really pedantic and off topic.

I'm sure the size of the tyre has some bearing on whether the wheel diameter is 26". From what I can remember off the top of my head, a standard rim has an OD of 559mm or 22" and if you compare a 1.95" Panaracer to a 2.5" Maxxis there is a fair bit of difference.

Sorry, I'll leave it and get back to work now.

Edited by Jamie_Neal

Can I be really pedantic and off topic.

I'm sure the size of the tyre has some bearing on whether the wheel diameter is 26". From what I can remember off the top of my head, a standard rim has an OD of 559mm or 22" and if you compare a 1.95" Panaracer to a 2.5" Maxxis there is a fair bit of difference.

Sorry, I'll leave it and get back to work now.

Yeh, but it's not 26" exactley, I think it's something like "26+or- 1" which is why the monty's can get away with a 25" rear rim....

I think

Yeh, but it's not 26" exactley, I think it's something like "26+or- 1" which is why the monty's can get away with a 25" rear rim....

I think

I thought 26" was the OD of the tyre (ish, give or take a bit of variation as Jamie_Neal said). The second rule stating tyre size means you could in theory run a mod rim with a hiauge tyre on it to make the OD up to ~26". Obviously would never work in reality but you get the idea...

If you measure a 26" wheel + tyre, they are usually nearer 27". The rules are just that the wheel has to be > 26". The Monty 25" wheels (do they still do these?) are slightly over 26", so they pass. But you have to buy a Monty frame, rim, tyre :P

What do I know :S

It's an old rule, has been around about... well i started being interested in trials about 5 years ago, and it was enforced then, so...

But it's only recently they've changed it, hence the 116mm stocks that are out :)