Fixed Gear Road Bikes

poopipe

It should be stickied because if anyone wants to know about fixed / road bikes then they do not have to start a new topic. If a new topic was to be started in 2 months time I would put money on the fact that exactly the same questions and attitude would be raised.

I have been here since 2001/2002 time, and this is the first ever topic on fixed wheel roadies I have ever seen.

If we need a sticky on this, we need it on everything.

stopping suddenly would be an issue though ?

you only really ever need to stop quickly if theres something in your way or if your at a junction...

if theres something in your way you can usually go around it and at junctions i either shut my eyes and hope (its worked so far) or dump the bike

im a bike courier in manchester as some of you may know.

ALL my mtes here ride fixies, and i like riding them

they are brilliantly simple and good for city riding.

and dam fast.

i dont ride fixed at work because i use a freight bike

(need gears for heavy boxes etc..)

i used to ride to and from college quite alot on my old fixe and it was ace. even in hill huddersfield area.

iolo.

Two independant methods of braking. I.e. two brakes, or a brake and fixed wheel.

I'm pretty sure its only required that you have a brake on the drive wheel (in the case of a fixie that'd be the fixed wheel) to ride a bike on the road

when selling them, yeah - like the man says

Yeah I do know for sure that fixies need a front brake to be road legal, so Ed's logic sounds about right :)

not to worry, I live in cambridge where you don't get told off for cycling on the pavement at 20mph with no brakes on your bmx - nobody's gonna quibble over how many brakes i need on a roadie

• 3 weeks later...

Mod is sold so I'm bidding on a complete track bike which appears to have SPDs on it.

I don't want SPDs because they're gay so I figure I'll get some normal clipped pedals - the problem is that I don't understand them.

What's the deal - do I just whack a pair of normal pedals on there and buy some clips or do I need to get special roadie pedals that are designed to take clips ?

can somebody explain please? (and suggest where I might be able to get some of these pedals from)

taverymuch :)

Mod is sold so I'm bidding on a complete track bike which appears to have SPDs on it.

I don't want SPDs because they're gay so I figure I'll get some normal clipped pedals - the problem is that I don't understand them.

What's the deal - do I just whack a pair of normal pedals on there and buy some clips or do I need to get special roadie pedals that are designed to take clips ?

can somebody explain please? (and suggest where I might be able to get some of these pedals from)

taverymuch :)

Most 'normal' pedals (I.e. bog standard caged pedals) have holes for the straps, and the clips bolt onto where the reflector goes. Although my road bike actually came with some integrated pedals - they look like this:

post-40-1189016271_thumb.jpg

I.e. they're flats but you couldn't really use them without the clips. I don't want 'em. Offers?

In need of a road bike for work mainly, might use it to get to school sometime, but i have suits and they're too expensive to f**k up in.

Raleigh Airlite 100 i think, 180 from hellfrauds, might be able to get 30% discount if possible, dunno, i know all bikes apart from Kona and the Groovy Chick range in hellfrauds are complete piles of wank, but as a roadbike that i only need to move me about, not be light etc, i'd think it'd be ok? I'm on a tight budget mainly.

Any good?

Edited by Fat Pants

Fixed geared bike ***! I just got myself one of those 07 specialized langsters in racing green! its soo much fun! For people that dont know, with a langster you have a double sided wheel, so you can just take your wheel out and run a freewheel.

I would deffinately reccomend getting something like a langster as it can also be used as a practical everyday bike, rather than only velodrome or if you get the balls to go fixed on the road etc.

I opted for a complete off ebay in the end cos it worked out a lot cheaper

it's a fuji that's mostly stock - and came with a free speedo (Y)

I took it out for a test ride, cranked it up to 30mph and slipped the pedals (SPD pedals + skate shoes)

I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to kill me

post-5340-1189710957_thumb.jpg

Edited by poopipe

I rode the Bianchi Pista bike around Canary Wharf, thats pretty sweet.

Ideally I'd have a Specialized Langster London with the hub flipped to a fixed cog.

I could get one for about £250, they ride well.

langster lonon is horrid lol, the normal langster in green is much nicer. or the tricross fixed so its got a bit of beef behind it..

I opted for a complete off ebay in the end cos it worked out a lot cheaper

it's a fuji that's mostly stock - and came with a free speedo (Y)

I took it out for a test ride, cranked it up to 30mph and slipped the pedals (SPD pedals + skate shoes)

I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to kill me

post-5340-1189710957_thumb.jpg

put a widdle widdy brake on it just incase.

or a foot would do.

EDIT: were you like dying of exhaustion when you got to 30? or could you of gone faster?

Edited by sheehan