Fixed Gear Road Bikes

poopipe

does anyone ride one of these things? I need a commuter* and I'm not one to make life easy for myself so this whole fixie thing sounds ideal.

are there any disadvantages to riding one that I may not have anticipated (apart from the whole getting tired thing)?

I'd be interested in purchasing if anyone has an old semi-decent quality steel roadie frame lying about - I'd have to wait til the mod's gone so in no way is this a wanted thread but it'd be nice to know if there was one out there.

anyway, yeah . ta :)

*I've been passing the bmx off to the missus as a means of commuting but I'm gonna flog my mod so I can transfer the bmx into fun bike position and fill the gap with a fixie (Y)

A guy that works in Edinburgh Bikes in Leeds has one, he is in hospital at the moment because he got hit by a dump truck. He couldn't stop in time! He ran a front brake too...

I'd just been considering the whole stopping thing in a bit more detail but given that i've been riding with no brakes on the bmx for a while and im not dead yet I figure I'll be alright.

I'd just been considering the whole stopping thing in a bit more detail but given that i've been riding with no brakes on the bmx for a while and im not dead yet I figure I'll be alright.

I suppose this guy does ride clipless as well, couldn't really jump off easily. Might be worth considering flats just to make bailing easier!

With a fixed though, you can't really just jam your foot on the tire as easily i suppose, because the other foot is still going round.

The guy i sit next to at work rides 40 miles a day on a fixie. Very good for training etc and for making you pedal smoothly. He runs a front brake and has no problems with stopping, no more than any other road bike. You learn to slow your legs down to brake, means lots of control etc.

Make sure the frame you get has adjustment so you can get a good chain tension as you need to keep it tight to prevent it falling off.

I was definitely thinking flats, I've fallen off bikes enough times to know the value of getting as far away as possible from the big spinning pile of metal when it does happen.

hadn't properly thought about the chain tensioning thing so nice one for that.

I'm getting all excited now.

anyone want to buy a mod ?

Edited by poopipe

fixie without spd/toe clips is dangerous. imagine if the foot comes off the pedal at speed, it will get mashed by the crank and pedal.

Plus if your foot comes out, you have no real way of slowing down. The other thing that scares me is that sometimes when I'm thrashing the pedals (Usually to try and draft a bus), I come unclipped. I reckon this would be REALLY sketchy if I had fixed gear. I'd like to try though.

Can I convert my road bike to fixed? Or do you need horizontal dropouts?

I have one of them, almost exactly the same. It's an old Shimano mech (almost as bad as that one) with the cage taken off and replaced with a jockey wheel. Worked fine on my trials bike until recently I swapped it for gears. Didn't realise anyone else had done the same thing! But I could whack it on the road bike. What sort of ratio do people use?

EDIT: Now all I need to do is get a new wheel, or lock out my existing freehub...

You apply backwards preasure to the pedals, putting tension through the lower section of chain, pulling the derailier up taught, and creating a load of slack in the chain at the top, causeing the chain to fall off and you to mash yourself.

My granda has a fixie in his loft, some 1940's race beast no doubt, I'll be taking it ouf for a rip when I can be arsed to get it down.

I was going to take it and bring it to uni with me, but I wouldn't want to wreck it it's more of a piece of art than a bike now.

the bicycle messengers are on crack video is on fixies as far as I remember?

I love youtube!!

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I have one of them, almost exactly the same. It's an old Shimano mech (almost as bad as that one) with the cage taken off and replaced with a jockey wheel. Worked fine on my trials bike until recently I swapped it for gears. Didn't realise anyone else had done the same thing! But I could whack it on the road bike. What sort of ratio do people use?

EDIT: Now all I need to do is get a new wheel, or lock out my existing freehub...

by cage do you mean two jockey wheel bit?

i cut it in half (closer to the jockey wheel i wanted to keep and just did it all up again, was a barstool to do though, with a jnr hacksaw and pliers.

oh, bugger, very true janson, dyjhiw

Edited by Fat Pants

You apply backwards preasure to the pedals, putting tension through the lower section of chain, pulling the derailier up taught, and creating a load of slack in the chain at the top, causeing the chain to fall off and you to mash yourself.

And the derailleur to go KABOOOOOM.

edit: Go ahead and test it on any mountain bike or roadie bike. Zip tie the cassette to the spokes. DO NOT RIDE IT as it will not work for riding, but to demonstrate the principle..

clips sound more dangerous to me than a pedal in the calf and surely slowing down in that situation is no different from brakeless bmx + hill (ie. put your feet on the ground and stand up).

I guess it might be worth whacking a front brake on for safety's sake.

Oh yes :(

The answer is... Phantom cog!

by cage do you mean two jockey wheel bit?

Yes. But I unscrewed the 'cage' rather than sawing it off, and attached a jockey wheel there instead. I can't find it though, but it worked a treat.

surely slowing down in that situation is no different from brakeless bmx + hill (ie. put your feet on the ground and stand up).

Yeah but on a road bike your seat is up high and it's much easier said than done. I was riding my mate's road bike in the pouring rain and the brakes didn't work, had to brake using my feet. It's soooo much harder than on a BMX.

i've done this (Y)..

i cycle through west london to college on me ol mountain bike but i shagged the rear wheel before christmas..only had a fixed deore hub spare so i've been using that..

middle gear..using a mech for tension (i really use the front brake to slow down...but the chain sag isn't enough to "mash meself" as someone wrote above..i can stop using backpedalling- but it's harder than you think!)

feeels weird...sometimes forget and nearly castrate meself but as long as you remember to sit down at all times you can't really fall off...

try it!

adam

fixie without spd/toe clips is dangerous. imagine if the foot comes off the pedal at speed, it will get mashed by the crank and pedal.

My Dad rides on LOOK pedals on his fixed Niel Orrel, they are the equivilant of SPDs. He has crashed a few times on road bikes over the years and his feet have always come out. He still got hurt more times than he did on his mountain bike though...

I might be able to sort you out with a bike if you want, he has far too many.