Fixed Gear Road Bikes

poopipe

Suicidal all of a sudden are we Mark?

I'm thinking clips are an absolute necessity now I've had time to analyze the situation a bit, it'd be really tricky riding without them - especially the stopping bit.

Not going anywhere near SPDs though - apart from the added difficulty in bailing I couldn't bring myself to wear the stupid f**king nancy shoes required.

fatty... what brand are they? find out and I'll send you more mucky webcam girl screengrabs or a picture of my bollocks - whatever works best for you.

fatty... what brand are they? find out and I'll send you more mucky webcam girl screengrabs or a picture of my bollocks - whatever works best for you.

Viola.

Fairly sure they're the ones, look exactly the same, and he works in evans so he must have got them from there.

I don't know what the difference betwene clips, clipless and SPDs is, but you said you don't want SPDs, so i dunno, maybe you could only wear the gayshoes when you want to, and use the normal side when you don't want to look like a nancy.

I'm tempted to ask for the bollocks pic, but i know what you're like, you will actually send me it.

I couldn't bring myself to wear the stupid f**king nancy shoes required.

Stupid nancy shoes are actually very good but you can't be expected to know that until you've tried some. However if your only commuting a short distance and you're getting on and off regularly there not very comfortable to walk in.

gallery_181_1185_9255.jpg

I've got some of these, there bon!

EDIT: Can we sticky this?

Edited by will

I've got some of these, there bon!

I've got them shoes too. They're OK (Apart from the POS laces), but they don't really pass as 'normal' shoes when you're off the bike (especially when they're soaking wet, dirty and smelly). Plus, as you say, they're pretty uncomfortable to walk any distance in. I'd be tempted to just get some full-on SPD shoes and sod the 'look'. Besides, all the roady types will think you're cool, riding a fixed gear bike, but it's not as if anyone else will! :P

But yeah, SPDs are aces. Well worth the investment. Plus once you know how to use them (takes like a day at the most), they're easier to get out of than toes clips, no matter how loose. And a hundred times easier to clip back in. In conclusion, SPDs ace, clips rubbish.

EDIT: Can we sticky this?

Er no, why?!

It should be stickied because if anyone wants to know about fixed / road bikes then they do not have to start a new topic. If a new topic was to be started in 2 months time I would put money on the fact that exactly the same questions and attitude would be raised.

Also could be a handy place for general questions about commuting parts, seeing as we all ready know the majority of the forum do it everyday.....

Why shouldn't it be stickied Tomm?

Edited by will

The stickies are for threads which are either important and everyone needs to see (announcements etc) or ones that get used every day (Random small questions).

This thread is really no different to the hundreds of other threads in Chit-Chat. If we stickied everything, there wouldn't be much point, would there?

Have a look on www.on-one.co.uk

They've got some interesting fixed stuff on there. The Pompino is their fixed gear roadie, and at only 150 for the frame you cant really complain. They're also good for hubs and other bits that are specific to fixed bikes, as they're obssessed with singlespeed and fixed stuff.

The pompino is a compact frame too, so as someone who likes smaller frames it would be well worth considering.

Suicidal all of a sudden are we Mark?

I'm thinking clips are an absolute necessity now I've had time to analyze the situation a bit, it'd be really tricky riding without them - especially the stopping bit.

Not going anywhere near SPDs though - apart from the added difficulty in bailing I couldn't bring myself to wear the stupid f**king nancy shoes required.

Can rag around on my friend's fixie, slow down fast, skid if I particularly want to, and all that jazz, and that's using a size 11 pair of Vans Bucky Laseks on tiny little SPD pedals. On a decent flat, I don't honestly think you'd have much problem. Even if your feet come off, you'll usually be able to get them back on.

661 do those decent looking spd shoes

while those are a definite improvement on the standard nancy shoe I still don't think I could be seen wearing them. I'm from cambridge - we have certain standards to maintain :)

clips it is.

sam man do bloke (whatever ) - post pics of it dude, I like to look at them.

• 3 weeks later...
yes, yes it is! but what are you going to do about it? :D

Nowt. It looks pretty nice actually (apart from the colour), I'm just jealous - I want a fixie. To be fair, it's pretty unique!

That On-one Pompino for £499 looks ace, maybe I will get one when I've got some more money.

That On-one Pompino for £499 looks ace, maybe I will get one when I've got some more money.

mine cost about £70...built from bits i had lying around and parts pikied from the lbs i work at :D the pompino is swish, i wouldnt mind one of them!

Did you spray the rims yourself?... They look PIMP! Can't believe you're brakeless with flats thats crazy talk lol.

i live i one of the flattest parts of the country so slowing down on hills isnt too much of a problem...hence brakeless with flats seems fine!

and yer i sprayed the rims, i ran out of acid-etch-primer before i finished so the front rim is peeling a bit :S

It should be stickied because if anyone wants to know about fixed / road bikes then they do not have to start a new topic. If a new topic was to be started in 2 months time I would put money on the fact that exactly the same questions and attitude would be raised.

search? If that was the criteria for making a sticky thread then almost every thread would be stickied.

search? If that was the criteria for making a sticky thread then almost every thread would be stickied.

agreed, although the only real qualification a thread needs for stickying is that I started it.

those colours are growing on me samdoman and I'm glad you went the cheap route- its the way these things should be done