I Need Some Serious Help!

Jason222

alright, I need to fit a spacer in between my bash guard and my 18 t cog on my adamant cranks...I can't get it off though!!! I've tried everything, a chain whip, blow torch (not my idea), tapping gun (not sure of actual name)...what way do they unscrew? I was trying to unscrew counter clockwise? is that right? Any ideas of better ways to remove it? It would be MUCH appreciated!

He's talking about getting the cog off, not the crank.

The cogs tighten as you pedal, so they unscrew anti-clockwise (looking at it from the inside).

Chainwhips are useless, they arn't designed for removing cogs. You'll just end up breaking it.

I personally think the best way is too get a wooden vice, or a normal vice with two blocks of wood and tighten it so that the teeth and embeded in the wood. Then, hit the crank arm with a mallet (or a hammer with a block of wood).

If the cranks firmly in the vice, and it's not slipping, you just need to hit the crank arm harder and harder untill it comes off. There are methods where you put them in a freezer and then heat them up etc etc, but i've never done that as i've had no problem with what i've just described above.

Also, some people put a scafolding pole over the crank arm to get massive abouts of leverage.

Good luck. (Y)

What sort of freewheel is it?

Can you access the lockring before you remove the unit?

If you can I'd recommend dismantling (over a bowl or basin) the freewheel & clamping the inside ring of the unit in a vice as recommended above.

Put LOADS of WD40 on it too, that stuff is magic. Be sure to run it out of your freewheel though. Won't be good for bearings if you run it without grease.

Torching it can't really hurt either once it's all taken apart.

I take the crank off, wrap some kmc k810 chain around the cog to protect the teeth, tighten it down in a vice, put a massive pipe over the crank and twist the cog right off. The pipe I used last time was about 6ft long, and it really helps with a long pipe...

He's talking about getting the cog off, not the crank.

The cogs tighten as you pedal, so they unscrew anti-clockwise (looking at it from the inside).

Chainwhips are useless, they arn't designed for removing cogs. You'll just end up breaking it.

I personally think the best way is too get a wooden vice, or a normal vice with two blocks of wood and tighten it so that the teeth and embeded in the wood. Then, hit the crank arm with a mallet (or a hammer with a block of wood).

If the cranks firmly in the vice, and it's not slipping, you just need to hit the crank arm harder and harder untill it comes off. There are methods where you put them in a freezer and then heat them up etc etc, but i've never done that as i've had no problem with what i've just described above.

Also, some people put a scafolding pole over the crank arm to get massive abouts of leverage.

Good luck. (Y)

Spray some lubricant in the thread too, should make it easier.

So if I'm holding the crank in my hand now with the cog towards me, I would have to turn it clockwise to remove the cog? I took it to a bike shop and they tried to remove it counter clockwise... lol

Ok hold the crank in your hand with the cog side facing you. The cog needs to turn anti clockwise or counter clockwise as you Canadians call it. The I would personally try the two pieces of wood in the vice and the proceed with a massive scaffold pole.

Me and a mate tried to get a freewheel off by parking a mahoosive van on the crank arm and STAMPING on an 18" spanner to get the freewheel off - Didn't budge.

Just letting you know it might be on there for ever.

I tried getting my fixed cog off using the wood and vice idea and the wood just exploded.

If you need the space to get a thicker chain on (like I did) I just cut the bash off with an angle grinder (leaving a bit where I land on it) then proceeded to bend the remaining bit of bash outwards to give me more clearance. worked a treat.

So if I'm holding the crank in my hand now with the cog towards me, I would have to turn it clockwise to remove the cog?

No, anit-clockwise.

You don't really need a scafolding pole, hitting it with a mallet will do the job. (Y)

If he used a good lubricant, he wouldn't have to use/look for a 6ft scaffold pipe.

Screw on cogs tighten as you pedal.

Due to the high forces in trials, the cogs get screwed on very tight. It dosn't make a difference what you put on there befor you put the cog on, still going to take some major force to get it off.