f**ks Sake.

Phatmike

Erm shit example. If the brakes are gonna fall off the day after the MOT, it wouldnt pass. When you check stuff for an MOT your making sure that everything will last another year.

And when was the last time you got anything MOT'd or MOt'd anything yourself?

Legal minimum tyre tread depth is 1.6mm, so if it's 1.7mm it will pass and you will be given an advisory notice but you can't tell me that 0.1mm will last a years driving can you? No.

As for my example it wasn't shit at all. Sure it was exaggerated to get the point across, but the point still stands.

And when was the last time you got anything MOT'd or MOt'd anything yourself?

about a month ago over the summer holidays when i was MOT testing for about 7 weeks.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, knob. ;)

i could have brand new tyres, reversing out of the mot station, i clip a kerb, 3 minutes after my mot was issued, the car would no longer be road legal due to a bulge in a tyre. can wear a set of softish tyres out in a month if you drive like a total tit, theres a bloke who gets tyres done on a 1.3 cdti combo at our place, last him 3500 miles.

yeah fair enough that can happen, but then again you could show the certificate if you were pulled over and say "this car passed yesterday, so it got the bulge recently and you weren't planning on driving it like that for long"

if the mot was 6 months ago and they saw the bulge, yeah it would be a different story.

Edited by sheehan

about a month ago over the summer holidays when i was MOT testing for about 7 weeks.

yeah fair enough that can happen, but then again you could show the certificate if you were pulled over and say "this car passed yesterday, so it got the bulge recently and you weren't planning on driving it like that for long"

if the mot was 6 months ago and they saw the bulge, yeah it would be a different story.

driving illegally is driving illegally, whether youve been doing it for 30 seconds, or 2 years. it makes no odds. and trying to be smart never wins brownie points, having a clueless attitude sometimes wins the day.

and your an MOT tester????

driving illegally is driving illegally, whether youve been doing it for 30 seconds, or 2 years. it makes no odds. and trying to be smart never wins brownie points, having a clueless attitude sometimes wins the day.

and your an MOT tester????

I agree with you, BUT i do also believe that any policeman with his heart in the right place, will assess the situation. Example... My tail light blew out on the bike in the dark. Got pulled, for it, quite rightly. I explaned that it happened whilst out riding, and that riding is dangerous enough as it is, and i wouldn't go out wihtought a tail light would I...?

He saw i wasn't a dick, and i had a sensible realistic explanation. Job done, he let me on my careful way.

It's best not to get into the situation where you have to count on a policeman's attitude, but if you damage the car one minute and get pulled the next, you have no choice. IF you know of a problem and you have the option/time/chance to fix it, and don't, then what can you expect...

Tyre's is a no brainer really. You know when you need tyres. They give you months of notice, visually, and with driver feel.

Bongo

are you sure you didn't just help an MOT tester... Or are you a qualified MOT tester that can MOT a vehicle unaided, without supervision, on your own, alone, by yourself? Bearing in mind at the start of summer you were 16 and 2 months old...

are you sure you didn't just help an MOT tester... Or are you a qualified MOT tester that can MOT a vehicle unaided, without supervision, on your own, alone, by yourself? Bearing in mind at the start of summer you were 16 and 2 months old...

not allowed to do that anyway*, and i was an MOT assistant, but i could do a whole MOT on my own easily, but i didnt have a licence.

*well actually you are, its got some special name but its long ass to do and it sucks.

Edited by sheehan

No need to be a cocky little shit, "a month ago" would have sufficed.

And all i'll say is i'm glad i didn't have some clueless little juvenile MOT'ing any of my cars if this is how you think.

No need to be a cocky little shit, "a month ago" would have sufficed.

And all i'll say is i'm glad i didn't have some clueless little juvenile MOT'ing any of my cars if this is how you think.

i wasnt trying to be cocky, its just you assume that i have no clue without even knowing about my history on the subject. No offence, but i really hate that and it pisses me off to be honest.

not allowed to do that anyway*, and i was an MOT assistant, but i could do a whole MOT on my own easily, but i didnt have a licence.

*well actually you are, its got some special name but its long ass to do and it sucks.

single person testing is hardly a special name, and i dont see how it sucks that much.

so you spent 7 weeks, sitting in a vehicle, checking the lights, running through the "footbrake on, footbrake off, shake your steering, footbrake on, footbrake off, footbrake on, footbrake off, footbrake on, footbrake off,footbrake on, footbrake off, ok. go on and off with your handbrake. ok, pull that forward onto the plates, full lock, against the stops, ok, footbrake on, keep it on that lock, footbrake on, opposite lock, against the stops, footbrake on, ok, hold it on that lock, against the stops, footbrake on, ok, straighten her up, pull her back, put her in neutral, turn her off, leave the handbrake off"

as thats what an mot assistant does. purely those commands in 95% that order. the way i see it, if you did anything else, then nothing youve learnt is necessarily factually correct. as if the garage was letting you do roller brake tests, inspect tyres, run through emissions, etc, then its breaking the rules(and ultimately the law) and a garage that operates in that way,is probably not going to be too assed about following the correct legal in's and outs of wether its a pass, a pass and advise, or a failiure.

if your garage thinks an mot means checking everything will be ok for the next 12 months, i think your garage should lose its status as a testing station quite frankly.

also to be an mot tester, you have to of worked in the automotive industry for the last 4 years. not 7 weeks one summer.

Edited by trials_punk182

as thats what an mot assistant does. purely those commands in 95% that order. the way i see it, if you did anything else, then nothing youve learnt is necessarily factually correct. as if the garage was letting you do roller brake tests, inspect tyres, run through emissions, etc, then its breaking the rules(and ultimately the law) and a garage that operates in that way,is probably not going to be too assed about following the correct legal in's and outs of wether its a pass, a pass and advise, or a failiure.

if your garage thinks an mot means checking everything will be ok for the next 12 months, i think your garage should lose its status as a testing station quite frankly.

well i helped/did practically everything except the RBT which i was capable of if i really needed to. And if you had someone that could practically do your work for you, you would let them do it wouldnt you?

and the bold bit is BS really, of course a garage with about 25 years of MOT experience with the 4 people that worked there would know whats what.

And the 12 months bit is what i said, not the garage, but it wasnt really what i was trying to get across. Some components wear quickly, some dont. Even if you have an advisory on a part, its not going to be classified as an MOT faliure for a good while, otherwise it would be failed.

i wasnt trying to be cocky, its just you assume that i have no clue without even knowing about my history on the subject. No offence, but i really hate that and it pisses me off to be honest.

From what you've said in this thread it seems that you don't have a clue, Otherwise you'd have agreed with my point. You may also know the purpose of an MOT.

From what you've said in this thread it seems that you don't have a clue, Otherwise you'd have agreed with my point. You may also know the purpose of an MOT.

Meh think what you want to be honest.

And just out of interest how badly were your (micheal singleton) tyres worn?

And yeah i was wrong, but i still think that the copper has to be a right mug to do the car on the tyres.

"the test certificate relates only to the condition of the testable items at the time of the test and should not be regarded as evidence of their condition at any other time; nor should it be accepted as evidence of the general mechanical condition of the vehicle."

Edited by sheehan

this really is the wrong place for an mot arguement. i had to sit through about ten cases which were fairly similar to yours mike last week. it seems that really it's down to the judges descresion on the day i was in most of the people in a similar situation had there licence taken off them for 6 weeks which meant they didn't have to resit there test. most of the fines were around £200 aswell so you should be fine providing you don't come up with a shit excuse and you actually need your car for comutting or whatever

bloody hell trialspunk. is there anything you DONT know about

like a massive bucket of knowledge

yea theres plenty i know absolutely feck all about, but if i dont know about something, i dont talk about it, to save myself looking foolish/misinformed/making myself look like a b*llsh*tter. so the stuff you see me talking about, i generally know a decent amount about. hence the reason i never pop up in the bmx threads, or kitesurfing threads,and make only fleeting appearances in the girl threads.

this really is the wrong place for an mot arguement. i had to sit through about ten cases which were fairly similar to yours mike last week. it seems that really it's down to the judges descresion on the day i was in most of the people in a similar situation had there licence taken off them for 6 weeks which meant they didn't have to resit there test. most of the fines were around £200 aswell so you should be fine providing you don't come up with a shit excuse and you actually need your car for comutting or whatever

not wanting to contradict my above post, as what happens after you reach your 6 or 12 points is a mystery to me, its something ill read up on if the need arises, but..... will the rules not be slightly different for mike, with him having held a license less than 2 years.(i know at work when people have lost their licenses, some of the people whove had licenses 3-4 years, get a 30day ban and no retest under totting up/ 55's in 30's etc. but all the people under 2 years had to have a retest for similar/the same offences) once more i repeat the fact i have little knowledge on this, so aint quoting gospel, but its the way it seems to of panned out for people i know.so if your up on these kind of matters(presumably your a court clerk/trainee solicitor/bloke who likes sitting in the back of court listening to cases) you may be able to shed some light on the matter, or at least know where to find this light that needs shedding.

You get points for bad tyres what the hell? Since when? Call me slow here but I never knew anything about that? Or is it because they were below the legal limit?, Surely its just a warning to change em asap?

Nope, 3 points per tyre. :)

MOT or not, thats bull shit, the car is dangerous and an MOT wont change the fact, its at the police officer's discretion what kind of punishment.

Nope, 3 points per tyre. :)

MOT or not, thats bull shit, the car is dangerous and an MOT wont change the fact, its at the police officer's discretion what kind of punishment.

yee, i thought it was sort of like nothing is expected to seriously break within a year, and if it is likely to break in a few months then it is advised?

Oh well, im a tit lol :sweatingbullets:

Ok that really does suck, well sounds like I gotta change mine then as tread is fine but tonnes of cracks in sidewalls, and its like gunna dent my wallet, 100quid per tyre ouchy, 19inch wheels, probaly get some dunlops or firestones

Edited by fathopper

Ok that really does suck, well sounds like I gotta change mine then as tread is fine but tonnes of cracks in sidewalls, and its like gunna dent my wallet, 100quid per tyre ouchy

What the hell are you running? 35 quid a corner for me, for 15's though... common size i guess, didn't want to look what the 16 prices were. :lol:

f**k me, my dad's were just under a grand :huh: