Heatsink Snowys :(

ConnorPowell

Hello,

Well this morning royal snail had finally delivered my heatsink snowy pads, waited to the rain held off for a bit and put them on my bike and go try them out, at first impresions were not good, so i thought maybe they would take sometime to wear in, half an hour later, still no joy :( i have a grind on my rim and i was thinking do i need to give my rim a fresh grind?? Help please.

Cheers Connor

I recently got some snowys and there the best pads I have ever, ever had. Work MINT in the wet with a good grind (On a decent rim, BMF rim for the win!). Never going to need tar again, I suggest maybe a new grind and making sure there not contaminated/set up correctly.

My mate had them and they were mint, they need a fresh grind to be working to their full potential though. Not like my Rock Blues, which are currently on the most wornist grind ever and still work mint, but not a lot of bite.

You need to do things like ensure your rim is clean, and that the pad surface is clean. You cant just expect everything to stay in pristine condition its whole life. A little care and attention, and you can have an amazingly powerful brake. You dont just expect your teeth to stay clean forever do you?

Chances are its not down to the pad compound itself, but years of dirt and grime that needs to be removed. Anything from fitting the pads to adjusting the brake so everything is square can leave dirt, or oil from your skin on the rim surface

I've had my snowy's for almost 5 months, had a fresh grind when i fitted them, they were amazing. Since having them i have only just done my 2nd grind last friday, and that was only cos though my pads were still biting they wern't holding as well. but they were amazing for a gd 4 months before needing a fresh grind, and there still going and are still amazing.

I rate them the best pads i've ever had, and i've tried loads of pads, lots of them only lasting from a day to week or 2. Andy can vouch for that.

Best tips for you now... pay close attention.

Grind your rim, do it clockwise following this... with snowies i'd hold the grinder at about 30 degrees.

Once your done, get on the bike and drag the brake a bit while riding round... keep on'offing the brake too so the grind wears down a bit and all the random metal pieces come off.

Now get off the bike and undo the clamps and get your pads out. Now you want to sand your pads completely flat, wash your hands before handling them and if they have grease/oil on them wipe/wash it off immediately. Don't worry about the pad material being wasted, its better than having it wear wonkily. Make sure your pads are completely flat and free of any dirt (the surface should look white).

Now fit your brake pads and set them up level with the rim, make sure to wind the tpa off.

You should find the brake is 100x better now. Seems sanding the pads after bedding in a grind is the best way to get a fantastic rear brake.

Best tips for you now... pay close attention.

Grind your rim, do it clockwise following this... with snowies i'd hold the grinder at about 30 degrees.

Once your done, get on the bike and drag the brake a bit while riding round... keep on'offing the brake too so the grind wears down a bit and all the random metal pieces come off.

Now get off the bike and undo the clamps and get your pads out. Now you want to sand your pads completely flat, wash your hands before handling them and if they have grease/oil on them wipe/wash it off immediately. Don't worry about the pad material being wasted, its better than having it wear wonkily. Make sure your pads are completely flat and free of any dirt (the surface should look white).

Now fit your brake pads and set them up level with the rim, make sure to wind the tpa off.

You should find the brake is 100x better now. Seems sanding the pads after bedding in a grind is the best way to get a fantastic rear brake.

Simple solution to all that is Kris:

Zoo pads (Old compound), smooth rim and tar = Best brake ever :)

Danny.

Update: Fresh Grind, Cleaned Rim, Cleaned Pads, Loud As Fook!!!! But they arent bitey and arent holding :(

Sounds like it's your bleed. Try a different lever or something. Change the slave cylinders, the hosing etc.

Just narrow it down part by part.

Danny.

How can a bad bleed cause bad braking? If its stiff at the leaver and the pads are hitting the rim right then surely it can't make a difference?

He never stated that it was stiff at the lever. Nor did he state that the pads were hitting the rim correctly. So the only thing i could think of was the bleed.

Danny.

Hello people,

well finally hit a break through, i got some oven cleaner which is designed to get the grease off your oven, so i out that on my rim and left for 5 mins to do its thing, got a wet cloth and rubbed it all of and with a dry rag dryed the rim off, done the same with the pads and its now working amazing! i can see why people big these pads up so much.

Hi Connor,

It's great to hear that you've sorted the problem now :)

As I said in my email, I think that the rim had some residue on it initially which would have been transferred to the pads once used together. I use an industrial quality degreaser to wipe the pad braking face before send out, so the pads are always 100% free of grease.

I think the substance that you told me you used to clean the set-up initially is the reason why you couldn't make it work correctly (I don't think it's suitable for this application). You can't go wrong with any household cleaner (to remove grease) followed by washing away with water incase a residue is left.

Enjoy the pads!

Steve