Halflink Chains

scousertrials

Most people will steer you away from them saying they are snap happy. Never used one meself because of that reason.

On the bmx i had the Shadow V1. Fell apart practically. Strength wise, well it never snapped.

But i know the cheaper ones get problems. And as for running the KHE and Shadow v2 it's dito to above.

Been running my shadow v2 for about 2 years and the other night it snapped for the first time (well it didn't snap the link just bent slightly but causing the link to pop out)

Awesome chains!

Adam

Ahh pretty sick. Sounds like it took a bashin' then.

I don't have a halflink chain - though I have a halflink in my chain. Most people say they're weak, and snap happy - though I've run mine for my entire riding time ('bout 7 months) and not had a problem with it atall...

..EVEN when used in conjunction with a split link! :-

I run a Reluctant Half Link chain Becuase its pretty cheap! been run for donkeys years now... never had to touch it. Was a case of 1 link too long 1 link too short, so held perfect tension in my snail cams... started to streach a little bit after a good 4/5 months but yea... not too much of a problem can just take another link out if it gets too long... most mod boys run them arround here havent heard of 1 of them snapping yet..... 13quids cheap for a half link compared to a shaddow isnt it?

I friend bought a Khe Collapse chain (or might have been another one) from Halfords, it should have retailed for around £27, but he got it for cheaper.

It had hollow pins and the chain was knackered after a couple of weeks of riding with it, as the pins just split.

Just make sure it doesn't have hollow pins and keep it maintained.

Edited by thutley

I snapped a KMC half-link chain in under an hour, but I think that was due to installation error (by others)

I'm running the S.C. v2 and I am very happy with it. It's a beast!

I'ts got some heft to it, but I think it's a fair exchange for the removal of the weight of worry from ridding w/ a weenie chain.

I have halflinks on my trials bike and my jump bike, and I've never had a problem with either snapping. I have a KHE Collapse chain on the trials bike (18:16 ratio) and a Reluctant Half Link Chain on the jump bike (26:11 ratio). Both chains feel really solid, and dont appear to weight much more than my KMC Kool.

I know Nick Manning ran a Shadow Conspiracy on his mod, and never snapped it once. I would reccomend getting one especially if you have issues with chain tension. They have never let me down.

Yea to add to that. i have never touched my chain with any form of greese or wd40 or ever maintained my bike.... so get the chain i linked above 10/10 (Y)

So that's why your bike creaks so f**king much! :lol:

Joe Rothwell snapped his 3 times within a short time period (a week or something), i've never used one though.

• 2 months later...

I think every trials rider who has a few links in their chain that could go, should use a half link. I've bought the shadow chain and it seems to be the dogs bollox. it had a little stretch soon after I put it on but that happens with every chain I've ever used. Go Go gadget half link.......

Ps, Jimbo I bought it from an LBS. No idea on the weight but I will weigh up a bit and compare it to an equal amount of KHE collapse.

I'm also going to see if i can add a half link into the KHS collapse to give it ultimate adjust ability.

Edited by scousertrials