Front Hope Mono 07 Or Avid Bb7

obeseworm

As the title says im looking at getting a hope mono trial 07 , or an avid bb7. Can anyone who owns or has used either of these brakes

tell me from there experience which is the better brake in there opinion , And the pros and cons of each brake.

Having some difficulty deciding which one to go for. thanks.

A well set-up Avid BB7 works the tits, a friend had one on his bike and it was cheap, easy and once set-up never really touched it. It had a good hold and the lever had a nice solid feel.

Also adding to that, Avid sd levers are incredibly nice levers in my opinion.

As for Hope Mono, again nice brake, but not as much modulation as an Avid, I have a bit of a habit that has grown on me where I might pull the lever a very tiny bit by accident, or when my finger is resting on it, with an Avid this is okay and the brake might rub but not fully lock, with a Hope Mono, its either On or Off.

They have a better hold than an Avid in my opinion, but the actual lever isn't as good feel, yet I prefer the Hope over the Avid because of its braking capabilites.

I'm sure many other people have different opinions on the brakes, but that is just what I feel and prefer with them.

The guy above is wrong, the hope will give you more modulation so when you lock the brake you can then roll it alot easier. A bb7 is very on off, it locks striaght away stopping you dead more. Both brakes are really good brakes so really its which ever suits your style.

Rotar size makes a difference aswell i would go for 180 in which ever brake you decide as with the bb7 180 gives you plenty of lock striaght away and also does give you the option of some modulation compared to the 203 which sends you over the bars, but if thats what you want then get the 203. !80 on the hope would be perfect, as it will give you more lock than the 160 put still giving you modulation.

I actually found it exactly the opposite. Hope has way more modulation than the Avid and a lot less braking power.

If you want a powerful brake, get a BB7. I'm sure if you search the forums you'll find many topics about these two brakes. Worth reading through them, they might contain some useful info.

the hope has more modulation than the avid by miles, and less braking power for sure.

but id still take the hope every day for sure. ive run older hopes for years, ive spent a year with an 06 hope mono trial and it was shite, ive used avid bb7's for a total of 3 years, in 165, 185, and 203 (twice) and im now back with an 07 hope mono trial, and its my favourite front brake so far without a doubt.

its NOT got as much bite, or holding power as the BB7, but its far more reliable, the lever feel is nicer IMO (ive tried all lever/cable setups on the avid) and just the manner in which is slows the front wheel is all together better to me.

it does slip from time to time on front wheel gaps, but thats down to my poor technique.

if you can afford it, get the hope, every time.

theres a good reason its twice the price. its twice the brake.

the hope has more modulation than the avid by miles, and less braking power for sure.

but id still take the hope every day for sure. ive run older hopes for years, ive spent a year with an 06 hope mono trial and it was shite, ive used avid bb7's for a total of 3 years, in 165, 185, and 203 (twice) and im now back with an 07 hope mono trial, and its my favourite front brake so far without a doubt.

its NOT got as much bite, or holding power as the BB7, but its far more reliable, the lever feel is nicer IMO (ive tried all lever/cable setups on the avid) and just the manner in which is slows the front wheel is all together better to me.

it does slip from time to time on front wheel gaps, but thats down to my poor technique.

if you can afford it, get the hope, every time.

theres a good reason its twice the price. its twice the brake.

Prawny knows his shit, so don't listen to what I'm about to say, listen to him.

But, for what its worth, In 6 months I've got from a magura louise (was ace but went shite), to a mono trial 06 (pretty shite generally), to a 185 BB7 with SD7 lever, which i do like, but now I've got a front magura again.

Sooo if i was you I'd listen to the prawn, or, stick with/get a maggy.

Avid BB7 is the nicest brake ever, altho a 203 is a fork breaker, it is so powerful. Im currently running a 190 hope rotor on Atomz Forks with my BB7. Which is working great. Never got on with hopes, dont like the squishyness of them, and my 06 was rubbish. Altho prawns 07 is alot nicer then my 06 ever was.