Frame Mods

Nick Garland

Good.

Now to spot some other areas to mod.

Basically I absolutly love the way the Czar rides but its a bit heavy compared to most "competition" orientated frames. I am planning on shaving some weight off by running different rims etc but the frame itself I would like to get down to 1.8kg instead of being nearer 2.1kg.

Basically I absolutly love the way the Czar rides but its a bit heavy compared to most "competition" orientated frames. I am planning on shaving some weight off by running different rims etc but the frame itself I would like to get down to 1.8kg instead of being nearer 2.1kg.

That hole will be fine, but it'll only save you about 5g.

Paint = approx 50-60g.

Head tube hole.

Hole in the end of the top tube.

Larger breathe holes between head tube and top/down tubes.

Larger holes in dropouts.

That will save about... 25g. If you want to make it light you'll need to make your tubes thinner...

That hole will be fine, but it'll only save you about 5g.

Paint = approx 50-60g. Soon

Head tube hole. Done

Hole in the end of the top tube. Done

Larger breathe holes between head tube and top/down tubes. Semi Done

Larger holes in dropouts. Semi Done

That will save about... 25g. If you want to make it light you'll need to make your tubes thinner...

They are the things that i have done to my Czar currently, along with internal cable routing.

Adam

Hmm, making tubes lighter eh?

Must be a way :P

But adding up a few holes here and there along with paint etc will save about 150g or so,half way there :P What about skillfully dremeling the built in booster off, just above the top mount holes. That should take a bit off???

Edited by Team War Rider

Not so much normal riding, more competition riding. At the moment my bikes a tank, roughly 11.5kg or poss more.

Its a lot easier to ride competion sections better with a lighter bike as it requires less effort and over the course of say 24 sections, it makes quite a big difference.

Or you do a combination and then there are more benefits :) Go to the gym anyway as I like to stay healthy, plus taking weight off the bike means you can gain more stamina than doing just one.

Dont really need a hair cut, I do not have one of these gay emo/scene fringes where I look like a female brushing the hair out my eyes.

But is 25 grams really going to make you world champ? I agree with making comp bikes light, But why not buy a light weight frame to start with? drilling the frame is unnessery. The hole in head tube LOOKS cool, but really your only saving about 10 grams MAX. There are other ways to make a bike lighter.

Wheels/hubs

Freewheels

Forks

Brakes

Tires and tubes

the frame itself.

Anyway its your frame your going to drill hole in! :ermm:

With my frame im hoping to get im going to drill a 30mm hole in the top tube, then beneath it a 25mm hole and beneath that a 20mm hole... not really thought it through yet... its not for weight though.. just a meh that will be a cool thing to do... / snapp :P