Comment About Trashzen

squireb

Every body bashes on about how trashzen is a really help full site. Sure, it explains stuff, but there is a lot of reading to do, and quiet often it can be confusing. I've tried re-writing some of their explanations into bullet points and find them far easier to understand instead of long paragraphs. Is there a glossary of terms and such that i could grab a link to. I will try and set up a simple little web site with explanations in as much detail as i can muster. I just feel all of the sites I've come across don't really explain concisely enough what to do for each move, and sometimes it can be confusing when they mention "bend your legs to pre-load, then extend your legs to spring back". Seems a good enough explanation, but they fail to mention that you then have to re-tract your knees to allow the bike to move anywhere.

If you feel the same about some of these sites and their explanations, please comment here and add some suggestions to how certain things could be improved.

P.S THIS IS MAINLY FOR BRAND NEW RIDERS, I CANT SEE THIS AS BEING USE FULL TO THOSE WHO CAN ALREADY RIDE.

To be honest I'd have thought you'd get better results if you sent Julien a mail with your comments, I'm sure he'd take them onboard and appreciate the effort you've put in.

He's a nice bloke and he's constantly looking at ways to make the site better, it's just that he's a very busy chap and doesn't get the free time he'd like to actually make all the improvements he wants.

if you get me..

Well in my opinion its a bit of a piss take commenting on someone's website that they have put (probably) hundereds of hours into creating of there own spare time to help begginers and putting it online as a free site just to help people.... might be being overly harsh but I'm sure theyv'e thought a lot about how they word things and try to describe in simple language which is understandable to everyone.

Im not trying to be harsh or say that what they have done is a complete waste of time. Im just pointing out that i find some of the explanations to be not as clear as they could be. I will post the chap an email and see what he says. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus or to insult anyone. Maybe its my newbness to riding that is confusing me.

Im not trying to be harsh or say that what they have done is a complete waste of time. Im just pointing out that i find some of the explanations to be not as clear as they could be. I will post the chap an email and see what he says. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus or to insult anyone. Maybe its my newbness to riding that is confusing me.

quite funny how after ages trying to learn to pedal kick on my own, one look at the website and i could do it after 2 attempts. maybe you need to learn to understand the quite clear explanations (Y)

if they put

-Bounce

-Jump

-DROP AND DIE!!!!

would that help ?? if those detailed paragraphs weren't there no "beginners" or more skilled riders would understand!

Tom

Not that blunt. something like.... the track stand

1. Find a slight gradient or as flat a surface as possible

2. Ride slowly into the gradient at a 45 degree angle, or if on flat ground, apply and hold the brakes

3. When you find the point where the bike comes to a stop, gently adjust pressure on your forward foot to stop yourself rolling backwards. The aim is to get the bike to stay in one place. Keep yourself as centered and upright as possible. If you find yourself leaning in one direction, turn the handle bars into the opposite direction to stabilize yourself. If on flat ground, keep your brakes locked and follow the same rules as above.

I find that when its set out in bullet points, it is easier to define each step of the move. A paragraph tends to lend itself to a compound thought and this is where the confusion comes in. The rider tried to fulfill all the criteria mentioned in one go and fails to progress with that move.

Not that blunt. something like.... the track stand

1. Find a slight gradient or as flat a surface as possible

2. Ride slowly into the gradient at a 45 degree angle, or if on flat ground, apply and hold the brakes

3. When you find the point where the bike comes to a stop, gently adjust pressure on your forward foot to stop yourself rolling backwards. The aim is to get the bike to stay in one place. Keep yourself as centered and upright as possible. If you find yourself leaning in one direction, turn the handle bars into the opposite direction to stabilize yourself. If on flat ground, keep your brakes locked and follow the same rules as above.

I find that when its set out in bullet points, it is easier to define each step of the move. A paragraph tends to lend itself to a compound thought and this is where the confusion comes in. The rider tried to fulfill all the criteria mentioned in one go and fails to progress with that move.

Okayy if your as amazing at teaching people as you think you are, set up your own tossin website.

OK guys calm down... i thought my post was harsh... but people have taken it a bit far! :S hes only pointing something out... if it helps you man just write it out yourself! i never read the website ever in my life... just going out and actually riding helped me no end lol... didnt need anyone telling me how to do things.....

OK guys calm down... i thought my post was harsh... but people have taken it a bit far! :S hes only pointing something out... if it helps you man just write it out yourself! i never read the website ever in my life... just going out and actually riding helped me no end lol... didnt need anyone telling me how to do things.....

cheers for kind of backing me up there. No need to gang up on me, just pointing out something i think may of hindered some of the younger, or less skilled riders.

cheers for kind of backing me up there. No need to gang up on me, just pointing out something i think may of hindered some of the younger, or less skilled riders.

IMO it is a pretty awesome site and personally your topic literally shits on a good mans hard work!! It is surely a literacy problem in the UK and thats it if you can't understand it go to school (Y)

IMO it is a pretty awesome site and personally your topic literally shits on a good mans hard work!! It is surely a literacy problem in the UK and thats it if you can't understand it go to school (Y)

I can understand the website perfectly. Just pointing out that i find bullet points a more affective way of explaining something, and that the explanations provided may be bettered if they were laid out in bullet points with slightly more detail. Why is everyone shittin on me for pointing that out.

I can understand the website perfectly. Just pointing out that i find bullet points a more affective way of explaining something, and that the explanations provided may be bettered if they were laid out in bullet points with slightly more detail. Why is everyone shittin on me for pointing that out.

make your own website with bullet points in it then?

close topic, tis boring (Y)

Then again a lot of people need things explained in detail.

I think is better to have in detail for the people who prefer it, and other people can pick the points they want out, rather than have it in bullet points and not be in enough deatail for the people who prefer that. ( hmmm that makes sense in my head!lol)

And its still immpressive that is been translated so well considering there spanish( or french,, well foreign)

Scott

( this wont make sense because im writing while eating my dinner!)

Why is everyone shittin on me for pointing that out.

A lot of people have learned a lot perfectly well with help from trashzen, and i think maybe if you prefer using shortened less detail bullet points then as you have done, do it. No need to say your gonna make a better one or easier to understand site. people learning in different ways that is your choice i understand that but twas a wee bit harsh IMO thats all i am saying :)

TrashZen has videos too though, the text and the vids go hand in hand. There's also other video hosting sites where you can see many many trials videos. There's a media section in this forum where you can see videos. There are instructional DVDs by pro riders that both show you and explain how to do just about everything you need to know.

Also, just by going out there and riding your bike you will learn best. From watching new riders, the most common mistake is not putting enough effort in, i.e. you need to really throw your weight, bike, heart and soul into making that bike go where you want it to go. Oh and practice practice practice, it's all about practice.

The thing I found funny was if you do/did rewrite it all, you'd be good at typing but not a lot further on in trials... ergo less talk, more bike! :)

Just because you learn or understand it easier in bullet points doesn't mean everybody does. Bullet points are okay for a step by step, but the trashzen website offers explanations (which are written in paragraphs) rather than notes.

I learnt many moves from the trashzen site back when i started and it helped me enormously. Its since been bettered with more pictures and animations of the moves so you can see what the paragraph is explaining.

I don't think he'll change it all just because you've sent him an email especially considering the work he's put into the site... but you never know, a quick re-cap note style thing-for-dummies might be added in the future after the explanations and videos.

Can some of you people get out of the generic repetition of fashionably opposing somebody's view because your trying to get noticed? I don't know what peoples experiences are on constructive criticism but I'm gussing things like this dont really help anything, but instead are an attempt to spark an argument.

'Okayy if your as amazing at teaching people as you think you are, set up your own tossin website.'