Comtaminated Disc

Clean the rotor with Hot soapy water, then rinse thoroughly.

Heat the pad's up with a blow torch until they set on fire, then keep moving the flame on and off them to stop them overheating too much. Kepp going until the flames stop. This means there is no more oil in the pad's.

Let them cool down.

Reassemble your brake.

Smear mud round the rotors, sloppy wet mud, then drag the brake like mad until they get hot but riding up and down your road with the brakes on.

Get a spray hose and spary the mud off the rotor and out of the caliper really well.

Ride up and down the road dragging the brake until all the water has evapourated off.

If you brake is not up to scratch, repeat until it is.

Then go ride.

THAT IS SOME KICK ASS ADVISE

Thanks very much.

I had Shimano Discs on my jump bike, so I spent absolutely ages trying to get the brake to bed in right, then I realised they were bedded in. They were just shit brake at the same time.

I only had to run through that once on my Hopes I've got on my Echo, they are the mostest proest brakes ever now.

ive contaminated many a disc, and i do the same thing every time,

wash it with disc cleaner

wash it with soap and water

give it a bit of a sand and sand the pads down as well

then i boil both pads and disc

fit back on to my bike

minse down a hill with my brake slightly on so the disc rotor gets read hot, then pour cool water over it, ull see the steam, repeat that bit about 5 times and ur brake should be fully cleaned and re bedded in'd

Good advice, though be careful with the flames! I used to do that with my old hopes, and usually the compound would end up snapping and it then f**ks your disc up...

Depending how much life you have on your pads; it may be better to buy news ones...but hey, cleaning sometimes works though I doubt you'll get them to a 'new' standard again.

And just a tip to save money; don't buy any 'Disc Brake Cleaners' in spray cans...they don't work.

Anyone tried the Muck Off brake cleaning stuff?

Edited by anzo

i use panel wipe (from a body shop) because it evaporates nicely and its designed to get grease and silicone out of metal prior to paint. the pads i just take out give em a wipe then rough em up with sand paper. works for me. but IL be trying a few of the other suggestions mentioned above.

If it's just a little residue on the disk then brake cleaner could work but not so good from my own experience.

If it's oil the only good solution is burn it of. Boiling is not so good because oil doesn't dissolve in water and the boiling temp of oil is much higher then water.

When I burn my disk and pads I use a butane gas burner because it doesn't give to much heat. You don't want to heat the whole disk through only the surface. And when you burn the pads be careful they could be made of materials and glues that can take damage from to much heat. Burn them intense but fast so only the top surface get hot. Then you can sand of the surface of the pads.

Be careful and don't over heat because the disk can twist and bend when heated. If there is oil you will see it as small dots and bubbles when you go over it with the flame.

If the disk starts to coloring in yellow - purple - blue then you've heated way to much.

Don't go anywhere near your rotors with Meth's! - It leaves an oily resifue which will make your brakes worse.

Also, I really can't see how smearing mud all over it will help them bed in? This will just get the pads dirty and will defeat the point of cleaning it all in the first place.

Follow Keul_Muel's advise, apart from the mud bit. :P

Just clean it all, pour water on, ride a bit to get the rotors hot, and pour more water on. Just keep doing that until you're happy/tired.

Don't go anywhere near your rotors with Meth's! - It leaves an oily resifue which will make your brakes worse.

Also, I really can't see how smearing mud all over it will help them bed in? This will just get the pads dirty and will defeat the point of cleaning it all in the first place.

Follow Keul_Muel's advise, apart from the mud bit. :P

Just clean it all, pour water on, ride a bit to get the rotors hot, and pour more water on. Just keep doing that until you're happy/tired.

My name is El Muelio.

I use Mud every time, it's legendary!