Looking To Buy An Xbox, But Heard Some Stuff About Them...

BONGO

Reet o peeps,

I'm after an xbox 360 as my trusty PS2 has died.

I'm after it for the motogp game, and maybe a couple of other driving games, and dave mirra if you can get it.

I've heard of a few people that they'd heard something about 'don't get this version, or stay away from that version' etc etc, but they couldn't tell me anything more than the fact they'd heard 'something', which was no help to me at all really! Anyone know anything about this??

So...

1. Am i right in thinking that i just want the xbox360 core? (becasue i don't want to play 'online' and all that bollocks.)
  2. Will the cheap one play all the games still?
  3. where is the cheapest place to get it from?
  4. can i get dave mirra?
  5. are they actually really good like people seem to say / are they worth it?!

I am trauling through the websites kind of blindly as we speak, so i am bothering to search etc, but this thread could help a lot more than just searching and maybe not finding much.

The key one really is where can i go to spend the least money (to buy a new one)

Bongo

hmm, ok i'll have a think then. I'm looking at the MotoGP games 06 and 07, plus maybe granturismo (if it's on the 360??????????) and maybe a GTA game. It's for the odd bash for an hour when i'm bored or injured.

One thingn thoughthat might be quite improtant. IF i get the cheap one, it has no hard drive. Is the harddrive like an internal memory card?? So that if i get the cheap one, will i have to buy a memory card, or hard rive for it to save anything????

Help asap, as i'm an impatient twat and will most likely end up getting one today lol.

Get the Premium. It comes with the HDD, wireless controller, and headset.

With the Core you only get a 64mb memory card, so you cant download game demos (a free service), a wired controller, and no headset.

MotoGP07 is a good game, so you could get that.

But, Project Gotham Racing 4 was released just the other week, as such, I'd recommend that for sure (as there is no GT). And as a bonus there are cars and bikes now, both of which are pretty fun to drive.

As for GTA, GTA 4 should be out some time next year, but it keeps getting delayed.

There is no decent BMX game afaik, but skate. is awesome fun. Despite it being skateboarding...

Hello! I've got a 360 and can honestly say I think its great. I had largely the same problem when I first got mine as I obtained mine through a phone contract deal thing and because of that it was only the core system. So...

1.You CAN just buy a controller memory unit for about 20 quid, the only real reason to get a hard-drive is because the profiles take up alot of memory so you won't be able to make multiple profiles.

2. It will definatly play all 360 games. It is basically the Premium system minus a hard-drive.

3. If you have a Gamestation near you then they do great preowned offers. If you want it new Argos and PC World have some good deals about now.

4.When you say DAve Mirra, I assume you mean the old Xbox one, in which case you will need to connect to xbox live for 40 quid (per year) to obtain the upgrade to make your console backwards compatible. But unlike the PS3, not all old xbox games can be played, and I don't dave mirra will work. There is a new dave mirra game coming out on the WII though...

5. I wouldn't have bought mine if I didn't get it free initially, but I would buy one now if mine got lost because it really is that good. Get Gears of War and Halo 3 and you'll be set. It really has the edge over the PS3 in terms of games and the Live scene, and in terms of price. The only thing that lets it down is that if you wanted the full experience then Microsoft do hit you with all the add-ons, as I've mentioned about backwards compatibility. But aside from that they are great!

1. Am i right in thinking that i just want the xbox360 core? (becasue i don't want to play 'online' and all that bollocks.)
  2. Will the cheap one play all the games still?
  3. where is the cheapest place to get it from?
  4. can i get dave mirra?
  5. are they actually really good like people seem to say / are they worth it?!

1) core will do the same job, just doesnt have a hard drive like the premium, but a memory card is fine for just gaming rather than online play

2)^^^^

3)game is the best place at the moment i believe, about 170-180pounds at the moment i think

4)not sure about dave mirra

5)they are well worth it, the graphics is amazing, and one thing you will find is the feel of the controller and the game are much better. its hard to explain this but going from a ps2 controller to an xbox 360 controller is an amazing difference, the way the controller works with the "person in game" is much more realistic.

anyway, hope i shed some light for you.

Edited by braintreetrials

thanks a lot lads.

I'm all mixfuzzled now though! I now might want the next one up for around 250. But i don't want to spend that much!

question...

Does it cost you money to play online?? How do you connect up to it all?! Do i connect it to my PC or what lol?! I don't wanna be paying for playing online! If i have to buy a subscription or pay to play then i'll defo get the core one. I could upgrade later for not much??? (if i got into it)

That's the choice you get.

You can connect your 360 to the internet, and get a basic service, allowing you to download demos, videos, and upload your gamerscore all for free.

However, you have to pay around £40 anually should you wish to play your games online against other people.

The core is fine, but not having the HDD (pretty expensive on its own) is a real draw back.

My brother used a wireless router thing to play online on his ... just bought a router thing for £40 and set it up ...

First month to play online is free, then its like £40 a year ... you will get addicted trust me!

Does it cost you money to play online?? How do you connect up to it all?! Do i connect it to my PC or what lol?! I don't wanna be paying for playing online! If i have to buy a subscription or pay to play then i'll defo get the core one. I could upgrade later for not much??? (if i got into it)

5 pounds a month for online

ethernet cable from back of xbox to router (or wireless which is more expensive, 80quid i think)

you can upgrade and get the hard drive for around 50quid later if you really want to ;)

hope ive helped (again :) )

The core is fine, but not having the HDD (pretty expensive on its own) is a real draw back.

Sorry for the long post but pleeeease read it!! Sorry to be a thick b*****d, but why is it a drawback??? If i'm not playing online, do i need the space?? I'm still not sure what the HD is used for!

I know above it was mentioned it was used for mulitple profiles, but what does that mean?? For me, who wantst to play the odd quick race or have a dick about, would it still be an advantage to have the £250 over the £180, as it's a fair price difference. How much is a memory card?? Would it not be (for me) cheaper and just as 'good' to buy the cheaper one and a memory card.

Remember I'm NOT going to be playing these massively complex 1st person kind of splinter cell shooty up games. I'm looking at colin mccrae/need for speed/project gotham, motoGP 06 and 07 etc etc. Racing/sport only really. Which, as far as profiles go, ain't gonna be taking up alot of space on the hard drive is it???

Jeez, in my day of master systems and Commodore 64's you went out, bought the computer (of which there was one model), turned it on, put your name on, played, saved, then turned on again and clicked load, and carried on where you left off. Can't i just do that again with this one! All i f**king want is to race round tracks backwards trying to get the biggest head on collision!

Thanks for ALL your help, really appreciate it.

Bongo

Sorry for the long post but pleeeease read it!! Sorry to be a thick b*****d, but why is it a drawback??? If i'm not playing online, do i need the space?? I'm still not sure what the HD is used for!

I know above it was mentioned it was used for mulitple profiles, but what does that mean??For every player, you will need a profile, so if you have 4 people playing you need 4 player accounts. As soon as you have these accounts, they all take up space for any saved games which HAVE to be created. With a 64mb card, that space runs out quickly. For me, who wantst to play the odd quick race or have a dick about, would it still be an advantage to have the £250 over the £180, as it's a fair price difference. How much is a memory card?? Would it not be (for me) cheaper and just as 'good' to buy the cheaper one and a memory card.The core package comes with a memory package, you would not need to buy one.

Remember I'm NOT going to be playing these massively complex 1st person kind of splinter cell shooty up games. I'm looking at colin mccrae/need for speed/project gotham, motoGP 06 and 07 etc etc. Racing/sport only really. Which, as far as profiles go, ain't gonna be taking up alot of space on the hard drive is it???Depends if you want a lot of players, game saves are really bad at taking up space unless you look after them, most games autosave, and some create new saves every time, which will be a problem.

Jeez, in my day of master systems and Commodore 64's you went out, bought the computer (of which there was one model), turned it on, put your name on, played, saved, then turned on again and clicked load, and carried on where you left off. Can't i just do that again with this one! All i f**king want is to race round tracks backwards trying to get the biggest head on collision!Fraid not. :P

Thanks for ALL your help, really appreciate it.

Bongo

I'm just saying, it's not necessary, but I really would recommend getting the HDD. And as a package the Premium is by far the best.

memory cards soon fill up, you have to remember how much better quality the games are...

anyway, a memory card is like 30quid and a hard drive is around 50quid......

come to think of it if you get the premium it will definatly be better in the long run, you can get the premium package with forza aswell which is a good racing game.

if you do decide to try out online, you WILL get addicted and you will need the harddrive for its room, you can also download racing game demos if you get the premium with the hard drive.

Edited by braintreetrials

memory cards soon fill up, you have to remember how much better quality the games are...

anyway, a memory card is like 30quid and a hard drive is around 50quid......

come to think of it if you get the premium it will definatly be better in the long run, you can get the premium package with forza aswell which is a good racing game.

if you do decide to try out online, you WILL get addicted and you will need the harddrive for its room, you can also download racing game demos if you get the premium with the hard drive.

That's the reason i'm not going to get the one where i can go online lol. I don't WANT to spend the money. I have played online before though on my PC, i have steam, but to be honest, it never did get me and i can't actually remember last time i used it!

Memory card is £30 you say (ish), but mr Haz says i will get one with the cheapo??? None of the bleeding shops actually say "what's included..."

Anyway, i'm going to check my bank balance and going to argos.

Thanks a bunch everyone. Really appreciate it when people bother their arses to help (Y) (Y)

Bongo

I got a core i can sell you =P

i'm not a fan of 2nd hand mate. I wouldn't even buy 2nd hand off my bestest bestest mate i d on't think. Not becasue of a trust issue, but i just like new. I know where i'm up to and have accurate ammunition when they go wrong for me to go to the shop lol.

Ta though (Y)

All of the 360s should come with HDMI outputs now, they upgraded them.

The only thing about the Elite now is the larger HDD.

and is has an upgraded graphics card and soundcard :)

Get the Elite bongo if you can stretch to it, really is the bollocks.

Just wrecked my day at work by staying up all night racing a full season on the motoGP circuit lol. f**king retarded how accurate it is as far as the riding simulation is. It does what a real bike does if you ab the rea brake in a corner, or brake hard when turning or accelerate out of a corner too early etc. It's just amazing!

Awesone choice of money spending if i do say so myself!