Getting Fit

Matt_Zoot

I started getting fit about a week back what i do...

EVERY night at about 8/9pm

- go for a jog/run till i parctically cant do much more, home then about 20 mins rest till cooled down

- hit the dumbell weights, lifting about 11kg each arm, i ty do 20 reps 5 times on each arm

- then press ups, i try do 100 each night, not in a row ovisuly but in small breaks, i do 30, 15, 10, 10 etc etc..

- sit ups i try go for 50 a night.

that lot along with riding most nights a week for a good 2/3 hours and white water kayak racing training 4 times a week is quite good.

have you got any one to do it with? it helps so much i found if someones with you, pushing you to do the lot...

Tim.

Edited by Tim H

Ride more (Y)

worst thing you can do is exercise on an empty stomach especialy in the morning, as you probably eat about 8 in the evening and then wake up around 7-8 in the mornig which means you have not eaten for 12 hours nearly, your body needs the fule asap in the morning the quicker you can eat the beter? that is the only reaso your legs hurt they had nothing to fule them- so you could only do half what you could have done if you had eaten.

nah its fine, if im riding ill have a bowl of cereal, get out about 10.30, dont bother with lunch, get home at 6, eat, sleep then wake up at like 9, i rarley get achey

Edited by afroman

worst thing you can do is exercise on an empty stomach especialy in the morning, as you probably eat about 8 in the evening and then wake up around 7-8 in the mornig which means you have not eaten for 12 hours nearly, your body needs the fule asap in the morning the quicker you can eat the beter? that is the only reaso your legs hurt they had nothing to fule them- so you could only do half what you could have done if you had eaten.

yay and nay in equal amounts to the train on an empty stomach thing, training on an empty stomach will probably mean you perform worse than normal. but it does burn more fat, as theres no energy in the body (hence the reason people say it hurts more, burns more, theres no energy to fuel it, as the body cant burn the fat quick enough) as for the muscle breakdown bit, its small to none existant if you can also combine some weight/resistance training under proper nutrition later on. ( body builders swear by doing any cardio they need to on an emptry stomach first thing in the morning if they can do, and it doesnt seem to do there muscle mass much damage, purely because they eat well for the rest of the day, and train weights in the evening)

if your saying your not going to be motivated to go for a run, then id suggest perhaps looking at the motivation side of things before you start training. because its all right doing push ups in your room because its accessible and easy, and can stop whenever you want, but you do need to push yourself to see anything more than small gains. (hence the reason a training partners such a good idea)

as for exercises, press ups as mentioned. once they get easy (i.e you can do sets of 20 or more without breaking form) then go for elevated push ups, where your feet are higher up than your legs, once you can do that, bring your arms closer in to your feet so you become piked. also consider wearing a back pack with pop bottles in to add weight.

pull ups are a good one, as you cant really do much to cheat, its pulling your body weight up with your back and biceps.

if you can find bars or rails/posts/walls like shoulder width - 1.5 shoulder width apart, tricep dips are real good.

grab a couple of pop bottles, and do lateral raises.

just search google for ab exercises, crunches, leg raises, v's, flying bicycles etc.

just try everything and find something that suits you. pointless saying go running if you hate it, and wont do it as its wet and cold. but likewise saying doing stair running in your house, is pointless if you hate the repetiveness and lack of scenery.

Right to hyjack the thread....... Ive got Good arm strength and good leg strength, but shit abbs and undefined pecks... i mean... im hench enough its just kinda fat atm lol how can i burn this off? been doing a lot of gym work recently, got a multigym in the garage.... will press's, push ups, lat. pulls and that work? the pec thing doesnt work on it and i cant stand doing sit ups... something i really wanna do since ive started going out every night and seen 6 foo t5 people throwing themselves arround

And also on the food front... i dont eat propperly untill about 4-5ish in the afternoon, then have lunch and dinner at 7-8ish... guess thats not helping things....

Edited by Simpson

Right to hyjack the thread....... Ive got Good arm strength and good leg strength, but shit abbs and undefined pecks... i mean... im hench enough its just kinda fat atm lol how can i burn this off? been doing a lot of gym work recently, got a multigym in the garage.... will press's, push ups, lat. pulls and that work? the pec thing doesnt work on it and i cant stand doing sit ups... something i really wanna do since ive started going out every night and seen 6 foo t5 people throwing themselves arround

And also on the food front... i dont eat propperly untill about 4-5ish in the afternoon, then have lunch and dinner at 7-8ish... guess thats not helping things....

doing all the sit ups in the world wont give you a six pack unless you get rid of the fat round it, and as theres no such thing as spot fat burning(i.e doing sit ups doesnt burn the fat from round ur waist any quicker than doing squats does). if your serious about losing fat and quick, as much as i dont use it, as i dont think it does me much good is cardio. go running, go swimming, munch down some miles on the bike.

as for the exercises, chest press will build the pecs, as will push ups, lateral pull downs work the latimmus dorsi(kind of back and sides, imagine wer wings would mount if you wer gunna fly)shoulders, and to a lesser extent biceps and traps, so they wont do you much good for building up the chest

if you got some dumbells, doing flys will rip your pecs, as will a nice wide dumbell press.

as for abs, just do leg raises, V's and flying bicycles then, and also when doing any other exercises, try to keep your abs tense, well in fact any time you can do, tense your abs, wont make a huge difference, but it will bring your gut in a bit and once the fats off the abs will naturally be more toned from spending a long time in a semi tense state.

as for eating, im not going to say too much, as i cant follow a diet/nutrition plan for shit, but speaking to all the bodybuilders at the gym, eat plenty of small meals, drink as much fluid as you can, and dont eat anything big late in the day if you can help it.

Climbing seems to be pretty good for burning fat and making upper body strength. I'd much rather go to a climbing wall than join a gym.

Buy a chin up bar from argos, they only about £8 and you can put it up in your house inbetween a door frame somewere (Y)

That's a rubbish chin up bar. You need POWERBAR :D

As has already been said, do you want to increase your cardiovascular fitness or lose weight or gain muscle?

Another good type of exercise that i dont think has been mentioned which is nice to do is plyometrics which is basically the lengthening of muscles before contraction, which are good for training explosive power and really tiring aswell. Alot of the exercises can also be done with your own body weight. So google that if you want!

As for the whole abdominal thing, the main misconception of people is that they think they dont have a six-pack yet of course we all do, its just the fact a majority of us will have that annoying layer of fat covering it up.

Oh and another thing that people also dont realise is that on the internet or on adverts etc you may see "muscle toning exercises etc", there is no such thing as muscle toning exercising, the only way to 'tone' or 'define' a muscle is by losing the fat from around it.

ok the fact that 90% of people dont have enough protein in there diets anyway, most peoples muscles are aleready deficiant in the correct amont of protien (2-3 grams of protien per kg of your body weight)

The main reason for protein is the repair and growth of muscles, you would only need that much protein if your body needed it due to you doing enough exercise to cause enough tears in the muscle fibres from using weights that need repairing.

If you decide to do free weights, then the best option would be to simply buy a barbell with some weights, and do the 3 main compound exercises that work most you muscles together which would be the deadlift (back), squat (legs) , and bench press (upper body/chest), find a weight you can only do around 10 reps with and do 3-4 sets with them. When you feel the weight getting easier always whack it up a bit more to keep the muscles working so they dont just stop needing to grow as theyve adapted to the weight. Then you can also do lots of abdominal exercises aswell to strengthen your abs if you dont like sit-ups then they arent the only good ab exercise, theres loads of them out there and do push-ups, tricep dips etc aswell.

If you buy some dumbbells then the list of exercises are endless, best ones ive found are DB flyes (pecs), chest press (pecs), shoulder press (delts), lateral raises (delts), loads of bicep exercises, overhead tricep extension, bent over tricep extension, bent over row (lats), shoulder shrug (trapezius) just a few examples for upper body and part of the back.

im hench enough its just kinda fat atm lol how can i burn this off?

You want to be doing some cardiovascular workouts for atleast 30mins, yet at a low intensity as your body should be accessing your fat stores by then, you want to be working at around 60% of your maximum heart rate (estimated max HR is 220 minus your age). Do that for around 3 times a week and you should see improvements. Yet all this would simply be in vain of course without a good diet which is a big problem with excercise as i'd say a good diet constitutes to a large percentage of how well your gains will be, theres no point doing the cardio workout if you are still consuming more calories than your losing as you will still be gaining weight. Should be eating 4-6 decent small meals a day, if you want to lose fat then obviously you want to cut down on the carbs aswell.

Hope that kinda helps!?

:turned:

aren't all excercises muscle toning? after all thats the whole idea of an excercise.

But toning is the definition/shape of a muscle, you can only increase a muscle in size or decrease its size, you cant change the firmness or shape of it. Definition (tone) of a muscle is just how it looks depending on the amount of fat around it, which is why people say skinny people are toned buts thats only because they have very little fat, which is why there muscles show up.

"Muscle tone (a different phenomenon than muscle tension) is the continuous and passive partial contraction of the muscles. It helps maintain posture and declines during REM sleep. Note that muscular tone is not defined as muscular shaping or the aspect of general Human physical appearance."

Taken from wiki

Toning has nothing to do with how a muscle looks from the outside of the body.

Edited by Gavyn L

yay and nay in equal amounts to the train on an empty stomach thing, training on an empty stomach will probably mean you perform worse than normal. but it does burn more fat, as theres no energy in the body (hence the reason people say it hurts more, burns more, theres no energy to fuel it, as the body cant burn the fat quick enough) as for the muscle breakdown bit, its small to none existant if you can also combine some weight/resistance training under proper nutrition later on. ( body builders swear by doing any cardio they need to on an emptry stomach first thing in the morning if they can do, and it doesnt seem to do there muscle mass much damage, purely because they eat well for the rest of the day, and train weights in the evening)

ok most body builders may do cv in the morning but its the cv they do, none of them will do weight bearing cv, all they will do is cycling as they are not loading muscles up, also they tend to do 3 hours cv a day when they want to cut up, also they use supliment to deplete tere fat stores etc... and also deplete there biodys off most stuff befor a show, the fact that most pro bodybuilders are geared up and also get as much food/supliments from there sponsors as they like, they would not loose muscle mass.

but hey were talkign about average people (not bodybuilders) :blink:

"Muscle tone (a different phenomenon than muscle tension) is the continuous and passive partial contraction of the muscles. It helps maintain posture and declines during REM sleep. Note that muscular tone is not defined as muscular shaping or the aspect of general Human physical appearance."

Taken from wiki

Toning has nothing to do with how a muscle looks from the outside of the body.

That would be the 'medical' definition of muscle tone - but that's certainly not what most people think of muscle tone. They're two completely different things. If you say someone's well-toned, you aren't referring to the fact that they're not a spastic*. I'm with Bondy on this - to most people, tone is what the muscle looks like from outside and is a combination of having a reasonably-sized muscle and not much fat around it - I.e. they look healthy.

* Spasticity means an increase in muscle tone which comes as part of certain neurological diseases (E.g. stroke, cerebral palsy).

something i really wanna do since ive started going out every night and seen 6 foo t5 people throwing themselves arround

Having a 6 pack doesn't make you a better fighter if thats what you meant

Trials punk do you reckon it would be physically possible for me to put on 7kg on for febuary because I need to make weight to fight at lightweight... and I'm only 57kg :$

Having a 6 pack doesn't make you a better fighter if thats what you meant

Trials punk do you reckon it would be physically possible for me to put on 7kg on for febuary because I need to make weight to fight at lightweight... and I'm only 57kg :$

I'm telling you. Get some heavy shorts.