Which Xc Bike?

Rob_P

The Commencal 5.5 is definitely more of an all mountain bike that XC, if we're putting labels on it. The Meta 4 is the XC full susser, and the 5.5 is more set up for bigger hits (slacker angles, more travel, heavier bits). But yeah, fair enough.

Fox do make nice forks. The RRP is totally inflated though, which makes you think that you're getting a bargain when you get them on a bike - but it's not really the case. I've heard nothing good about Manitou but they're probably OK in reality. But in terms of reputation, Fox have probably the best.

Get a test ride on the bike before committing to buying it. I've got a trance which I picked after trying a pile of bikes. The only one on the list I'd avoid is the Marin - I haven't tried the newest version, but the first of the 4 bar ones robbed your power climbing, didn't stay smooth over bumps and cornered like a barge (And still got fantastic reviews from the UK biking press cos John Whyte is English). They only admitted it was shite when the new version came along claiming to have fixed all the flaws in the old version. Also, given that the only person I know of with a PRST1 (Same rear end as the Marins) snapped 3 swingarms and two mainframes over the course of a couple of years riding hard XC (He is a little bigger than you are I think). I wouldn't trust one to last under anyone with trials experience...

I rode commencals in Canada this summer and they're very good too. Probably more small bump sensitivity than the giants, but the rising rate on the shocks make them quite harsh as they're pushed (The trance is quite linear, so it stays plush right till it bottoms) and they don't seem to climb as well. It should be noted that the maestro frames from Giant act very much like a single pivot frame (With the pivot in line with the middle ring) for the start of their travel and mostly use the 4 bar system to prevent brake squat (Which they do excellently).

Spesh do something called a pitch comp now too - dunno if they're any good, but they're basically a cheap Enduro. Not sure on price though.

There f**k all like an Enduro ! An enduro is a medium weight Downhill bike......

A Pitch is a tubeless ready full on XC bike with 2 years worth of suspension development in it !!!!!

For mad man mike - If you not the lightest rider you should get an enduro. If you ride alot of XC and are looking to get an XC bike get a Pitch !

I would only ever buy Speccy', I sold them for nearly 2 years and i'm AMAZED at the quality of the bikes, and the AMAZING custmer service !

Jarrod

There f**k all like an Enduro ! An enduro is a medium weight Downhill bike......

You're lying. Or thinking of something else. Or something. Enduros aren't DH bikes and the Pitch is just a cheaper version basically. Same amount of travel, virtually identical geometry but cheaper frame (less hydroforming I think) and components. They look really nice though, especially the expensive one.

You're lying. Or thinking of something else. Or something. Enduros aren't DH bikes and the Pitch is just a cheaper version basically. Same amount of travel, virtually identical geometry but cheaper frame (less hydroforming I think) and components. They look really nice though, especially the expensive one.

i was about to agree with you. but i was just on the specialized site, all the 07 enduro bikes are triple clamped bikes. (although the rest of the componetry is very much all mountain)

planning on going to have a look at the trek at jejames some point in the next 2 weeks, if i liked it, ill buy it there and then.

i was about to agree with you. but i was just on the specialized site, all the 07 enduro bikes are triple clamped bikes.

They do have twin crown forks, yes, but that doesn't make them a DH bike. They're Specialized own-brand forks and they've always been like that. It's not a downhill bike, it's pretty much exactly the same thing as my Commençal - kind of hardcore XC or 'All-Mountain' if you use buzzwords. The clue's in the name - 'Enduro' I.e. a bike you can ride all day.