Finished Headset Tool

will

I work at my local college, next to my department is the engineering dept. Took about 30 minutes to turn and drill each of them on a centre lathe. It's drilled out for M12 stud, I think I will make up a couple of washers to slide over the top... Don't really like the idea of some big penny washers. Materials are free if you hadn't guessed :P

Edited by will

Different standarts. There are 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" if my memory doesn't lie.

P.S. Please write down the dimensions I am interested in making one too. It is easy to get the one that I need (by simply measuring the headset from the inside), but I am too lazy :P

Edited by blaze_

I'll post up the dimensions of mine tomorrow. Although the outside diameters of mtb headsets are all roughly the same, the inside diameter where the press sits varies with manufacturer I think. However the press above wouldn't be suitable to use on a king headset or similar with un-removable bearings, it would only be used on a headset where the bearings can be removed so the pressure is applied through the cups and not the bearings.

med_gallery_181_1185_27348.jpg

I've gotta make one like that so I can install my king headset :P

why not just use two plates like 60-70mm diameter and use them against the cups all the time? There is hardly a chance of bending the cup as the force is being applied evenly around the circumference surley?

That does work but it has a tendens to move around so the pressure is uneven. On the Deng headset it will not work because the bearing i futher out than the cup is. I cant se the reason to make headsets where you cant take the bearing out of the cup, is that stronger somehow? Hope does not use that system and their headsets are just as fine as the Kings.

That does work but it has a tendens to move around so the pressure is uneven. On the Deng headset it will not work because the bearing i futher out than the cup is. I cant se the reason to make headsets where you cant take the bearing out of the cup, is that stronger somehow? Hope does not use that system and their headsets are just as fine as the Kings.

Cheap skanky headsets use replaceable bearings, I think Im going to make up a set to suit hope/king/deng etc.... if anyone wants to measure up and deng and hope head set that would be handy!

why not just use two plates like 60-70mm diameter and use them against the cups all the time? There is hardly a chance of bending the cup as the force is being applied evenly around the circumference surley?

Because if you have a pair of really well fitting pressey bits, and the bar is really snug then it pulls them into the frame straight, if you don't then they can be slightly offset and it causes higher and lower points of tension on the bearings, which is why, when you strip down cup and cone style bearings, if they are knackered it's almost always pitted in one section of the bearing face.

• 3 weeks later...