Www.heatsinkbikes.com

Heatsink

Hi,

What do you think of this first step in a style change? Something had to be done because the site was looking rather tired!

www.heatsinkbikes.com

The webmaster side of HSB is definately my weakness, so be gentle! Hopefully this is an improvement on the previous look of the site! Just need to work through updating some more content too :)

Steve

Just some quick pointers,

You need to clean up the typography on the logo. I.e your address in the top right and the domain name.

You could possibly drop the .com just to make a Heat Sink Bikes losing the .com, would help in structuring the logo and assisting as identifying yourself a business and not just a website, Users know they're at a .com, because its up there in the address bar.

Your navigation menu needs to stand out more too, I almost missed it, The red blends in far too well with your dusk sunset.

Great placement for your email sign up, but you could makethe pdf image lower, and toss in some bulletpoints on why users want to sign up to your newsletter.. I don't know the benefits of signing up, also "Your email address for our newsletter!" could be changed to something more pleasing like, "Sign up to our newsletter"

I think cleaning up those issues would improve things ten-fold - Everything below the fold looks great and your colour scheme looks consistent down there, but theres too much going on up top. refine it a bit.

And the cloudy sky, dosen't instantly tell me "this is a bike site"

Other than that, It's a good site and you have some great content best of luck with your website.

-Shay

Looks good, I'd agree with Shav though.

On the newsletter front, Im sure (insert geek master of web usability standards name here which I've forgotten, EDIT: jakob neilsen (if you're into web design I'd reccomend reading some of his stuff)) would like to see the newsletter sign up bit changed to something like

post-2-1196535715.jpg

For future reference it also works for search boxes, eg 'Keywords' in the text field, and 'Search' on the button. Simple change but effective and looks tidy IMO.

Looks good, I'd agree with Shav though.

On the newsletter front, Im sure (insert geek master of web usability standards name here which I've forgotten) would like to see the newsletter sign up bit changed to something like

post-2-1196535715.jpg

For future reference it also works for search boxes, eg 'Keywords' in the text field, and 'Search' on the button. Simple change but effective and looks tidy IMO.

Currently

<p class="style3"><strong>Sign up for our newsletter via email!</strong></p>
        <form action="/form.php" method="post" >
        <input name="email" type="text" id="email" />
<input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Send">
Needs to be
<form action="/form.php" method="post" >
<input name="email" type="text" value="Email Address" id="email" />
<input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Sign up for our newsletter">

Me thinks

Edited by nc7r

Thanks for all your suggestions especially Shav, Tom & nc7r!!

I agree with these points about the banner needs to shout bikes, the newsletter submission bit being improved (I got it a little bit better by adding the bullet points and popping a PDF logo up there) - I will be adding a better looking icon which looks like the actual pages, and the text being lost in the top banner.

I will sort this issues out and really appreciate the code enclosed nc7r! Keep your eyes tuned :)

Thanks again,

Steve