Basics Made Difficult ...

Endohopper

We all briefly balance without turning the front wheel sideways during setups and after landings , but have you ever deliberately attempted to get it neat ? I Had a great holiday in the U.K at Christmas and upon my return to Holland found the weather to be pretty poop for riding so stood around on my bike in the living room . ( Yeah , I lead an action packed life , kids . ) Just by aiming the front wheel straight , I was able to really work on my static balance .

Surprising really , how this otherwise undemanding position suddenly requires so much more effort . I guess leaning back helps some , and a good deal of squirming gets me a few seconds more . Ever practice this , or manage to stay stable for quite some time ?

haha ash.

I can do it with the front wheel staight if the front wheel is resting against a vertical, or near vertical face, but in that case I think it's just the fact that my bike is pretty much in compession(from forks and tyres) as I have to make very mininal adjustments to my body position to balance for ages. If I was to turn the bars in that sort of situation the front wheel would fall to the ground and I'd probobly fal on my arse.

Trackstanding with the bars straight is a mission and a half (mainly due to the shite headangle geo, raked forks, and long stems) which was my main gripe coming from a bmx flatland background, but thats past tense. a good challenge is to inflate your tyres to 35-40psi to make your balance corrections harder, then deflate down to your regular trials riding pressure when going out on rides.

iv been doing that over the last couple of weeks on my crutches. (obv with not been able to ride :( )

stand still, crutches say a metre apart and in line, then use my arms to keep me propped up. real hard. good for my upper body strength while not been able to ride.

Wayne.

I imagen that to be quite hard unless like said the wheel is propped up against a wall. Haven't tried stood still though, i guess if it were on a bank it should be alot easier.

Brakes both locked is a good one, rather easy if you've been riding for a long time.